3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Educate Me, Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Educate Me, Please!!

I own a 2003 Dodge 2500 CTD.

Today I went into a Cummins repair facilty to inquire about a low fuel pressure light. Guy said I have the common rail set-up not the isb (i may have that backward) and you cant install that type set-up.

I am realitively new to CTD. I can perform all the necessary maintenance, being a CTD, that is easy to do. Oil changes, fuel filter changes and air filter just about covers most of it, I think.

Anyway, could someone please enlighten me on what exactly I have under the hood? My truck was produced early 2003. What type of warning device can I or have someone install to detect a loss of fuel pressure.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

You have the 5.9L ISB Cummins with the Common Rail Fuel Injection System. Your best bet for a warning device is to install a permanent fuel pressure gauge on your truck. Do a search on here for fuel pressure gauge and you should be able to find what your looking for. I've also heard that either BD or BullyDog sells a little light kit that you install and when it senses to low of pressure it kicks the light on.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Hi, 1st off someone more informed may chime in, but I'll start anyway. You have a common rail fuel system. To install a fuel gauge or low pressure device is relatively a simple procedure. I went the fuel gauge route, it was a fairly simple setup. I got the fuel filter cap replacement from Geno's with the taped fitting for a fuel pressure sender. I have read of others though that taped in the fuel system after the fuel filter and went that route. My suggestion is do a search for fuel gauges on this site and it will keep you reading for awhile. On the fuel low pressure route I believe that BD Power has a setup, check them out as well.
Hope that helps
Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I went to extremediesel web sit and saw that they have a light kit for 2003 and up. It is a BD-Power.

I just do not understand why Cummins says that there is no application for a light kit for my engine. Is it because their source for parts does not have an application or what?

Also, I read the instruction manual for this light kit and it seems fairly easy. I just have a quick question: They mention banjo bolt at the pump. I see the one they are talking about on my engine. Does anyone know if this is a big deal when it comes to installing the sensor near this area? Do you need to mess with the fuel line? Is it just the top portion of the nut that comes off, then thread the sensor in?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:39 AM

the banjo bolt goes through the fuel line and threads into the injection pump,you just unscrew it and replace it with the threaded banjo bolt,there are two gaskets sandwiched in between the injection pump and fuel line,its a good idea to replace them with new ones,some places give them with the banjo bolt,but someplaces you need to order them seperate.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You have the 5.9L ISB Cummins with the Common Rail Fuel Injection System. Your best bet for a warning device is to install a permanent fuel pressure gauge on your truck.
The '03 and up Cummins are ISBe's (the e denotes common rail)