3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Drove a 6.7/Aisin this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a 6.7/Aisin this morning!

I got two of them in last night and took one out for a drive this morning. These things are the bomb! Even though these trucks are only set at 305/610 they fell like the have way more power than a stock 5.9, mainly because the Aisin trans actually gets the power to the tires. It shifts soooo smoooooth. Tow/Haul is awesome, works just like on an Allison, maybe better actually. And the exhaust brake works great with the Aisin, when in tow/haul and you let off the accellerator with the exhaust brake engauged it real drops anchor. The Variable geometry turbo is awesome too, sure gets to boost quicker it seems to me. I think this truck is really gonna be a contender in the commercial market. If ya have any questions just holler.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Any chance the Aisin is going to get the manual shifting option like the 06-present Allisons. I drove an 07 chevy and really liked the ability to choose the gear and hold it with just a thumb control. Makes a manual almost worthless....almost!
I am excited for the new tranny. Hopefully dodge will no longer be the truck with the bad auto trannys.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 AM

wow I hope someone comes out with a conversion kit. I'd literally kill for a 6 speed auto without trading up.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redspider
wow I hope someone comes out with a conversion kit. I'd literally kill for a 6 speed auto without trading up.
Oh yea, you got that right!!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 97crewcab
Any chance the Aisin is going to get the manual shifting option like the 06-present Allisons. I drove an 07 chevy and really liked the ability to choose the gear and hold it with just a thumb control. Makes a manual almost worthless....almost!
I am excited for the new tranny. Hopefully dodge will no longer be the truck with the bad auto trannys.

I don't know, these two I got don't have it. Just a tow/haul mode and an OD off mode. The 68rfe that is going in the pick-ups is supposed to have ERS(electronic range select), that I'm told is going to be on the shift lever like the Allison. I do not know if it'll carry over into the Cab&chassis with the Aisin or not? Truthfully, after driving the one's I got, I really don't think it needs it, they are super smart. I'm going to get beds on these and some others I have coming in and I'll pull some big loads with one and see how it does then, so far, the Aisin has impressed the heck out of me. Dodge finally is in the race.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 PM

So........is it going to retrofit????
Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
So........is it going to retrofit????

I couldn't even begin to speculate? If I was gonna guess, I'd say no way. First the mounts are all off, I don't know if the bell ousing would even come close form the 6.7 to a 5.9, and then there is the problem of getting the electronics to work. I'm sure somebody could figure it out, but I'd think a guy could trade trucks and come out furthur ahead.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
I couldn't even begin to speculate? If I was gonna guess, I'd say no way. First the mounts are all off, I don't know if the bell ousing would even come close form the 6.7 to a 5.9, and then there is the problem of getting the electronics to work. I'm sure somebody could figure it out, but I'd think a guy could trade trucks and come out furthur ahead.
Not when I have a healthy 12 Valve!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:12 PM

There are seperate modules, so it is possible.

You'd be better off trying to adapt a tried/true Allison from an RV that had a 5.9L.

There is no plan for ERS on the Aisin (68rfe has to have something extra cause its the "in house" trans).

make sure you check gearing. It may seem faster cause you can get numerically higher gear ratios (4.10's for sure, maybe even shorter)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
There are seperate modules, so it is possible.

You'd be better off trying to adapt a tried/true Allison from an RV that had a 5.9L.

There is no plan for ERS on the Aisin (68rfe has to have something extra cause its the "in house" trans).

make sure you check gearing. It may seem faster cause you can get numerically higher gear ratios (4.10's for sure, maybe even shorter)

4.10's are all that is available in the Cab&Chassis/6.7/Aisin. I'm sure that helps it's get up and go. But even with the lower axle ratio these one's I got will still run 70mph at 2,000rpm's because of the tall OD.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Hook one of those bad boys up to something and see what they really have!!!!!! What is the MPG looking like with such low miles on them??
Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Hook one of those bad boys up to something and see what they really have!!!!!! What is the MPG looking like with such low miles on them??

I don't know about the MPG. When I drove them this morning the overhead comp's weren't working as the trucks have not been pdi'd yet. I will probably haul two or three of them to the body company on monday or tueday, and I may leave my trailer sit there and use one of them to pull the trailer and the others back, then I'll see what we have got. So far I am VERY impressed!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 97crewcab
Hopefully dodge will no longer be the truck with the bad auto trannys.
hey now...the 48RE isn't "bad" (unless you mean "badarse"), just...well..."outdated" I guess compared to GM and Furd's auto offerings. This new 6-speed should really be able to make the best of the Cummins awesome low-end torque.

Oh, while I'm at it, don't forget to spell Dodge with a capital "D"!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sold!

Thanks for the info Luke. I was at our city council meeting last night and was pleased that the city worker (yes that's singlular, it's a small town) choose the '07 Dodge Chassis Cab with the Asin auto w/dump bed over the Furd for our town's new plow truck. The price was virtually identical to the Furd, I think the smaller turning radius of the Dodge sealed the deal (and the fact that our city worker drives a Dodge for his personal vehicle ).

Can't wait to check it out, but it sounds like it's a couple of months out.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 PM

Mine is now off the train and being fitted for a bed and replacement front bumper. It should be in my hands late next week or the first of the next. I'll find how it tows a trailer, that's what I do for a living and why I got it.

Quick Reply: Drove a 6.7/Aisin this morning!