3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Driveshaft support barring

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Driveshaft support barring

I have a 06 quad cab 6 speed long bed can’t keep the driveshaft support barring it it. The barring comes out of the rubber isolater anyone have the same problem or any ideas
Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by cabtruck
I have a 06 quad cab 6 speed long bed can’t keep the driveshaft support barring it it. The barring comes out of the rubber isolater anyone have the same problem or any ideas
It sounds like your center support bearing has bit the dust. It should all be one piece with the bearing supported by the isolator. If they are separate, the rubber has torn. There are two different fixes for this issue. One is to replace the center support bearing (some put spacers in to lower it a bit, search for the thread). The second is to replace the two piece driveshaft with a one piece.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 06-23-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by FMB
It sounds like your center support bearing has bit the dust. It should all be one piece with the bearing supported by the isolator. If they are separate, the rubber has torn. There are two different fixes for this issue. One is to replace the center support bearing (some put spacers in to lower it a bit, search for the thread). The second is to replace the two piece driveshaft with a one piece.
Back to morning brew . . .
has been lowered. I’ve replaced it with 4 new ones oreillys dealership and spicer.
I am a heavy truck mechanic so I know how to replace them.
I’m trying to figure out what is causing it to fail.
Drink your coffee I need someone with Mechanical knowledge
Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cabtruck

has been lowered. I’ve replaced it with 4 new ones oreillys dealership and spicer.
I am a heavy truck mechanic so I know how to replace them.
I’m trying to figure out what is causing it to fail.
Drink your coffee I need someone with Mechanical knowledge

If your truck is a 4wd, the best solution is a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. There are many places to get one.

If your truck is a 2wd, a 1 piece driveshaft is not an option.
You mention your truck is lowered.
If you altered the ride height and you are towing heavy, the driveshaft/U-joint angles have to be measured and perhaps a spacer added to the ctr support bearing bracket to change the angles.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you mean you lowered the bearing on the mount.

The 1 pieces driveshaft isn't a cheap option and doesn't address why you are tearing the bearing out of the rubber. Very strange.

My best guess is a bad u-joint, balance issue, or a rough/seized slip yolk. Or maybe as previously mentioned your drive angles are out of whack

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I would pull the shaft out in one piece, purchase an OEM unit from chrysler, bring them both (the shaft and the new hanger bearing) to a local driveshaft company, and tell them the issue.

I know they've heard about this in the past, as "stuff gets around". Let them replace the U joints, carrier bearing and balance the whole unit.

I did that exact process, after years of changing my own U-joints. Been flawless since.

BTW I would DEMAND Spicer non greasable units. That's what I went with and again, been perfect since. I really think that balancing the unit is key.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply’s I was told by my local drive shaft shop that it was to long get a single shaft. A friend of mine has a 07 3500 with a factory one peace shaft made some calls today think I found one that will definitely be the cure