3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dreaded 1/4 Tank Problem

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreaded 1/4 Tank Problem

Having problems with my lift pump when the fuel level gets below 1/4 tank. It starts running like crap/stalling/SES light comes on. If I cycle the key 10-12 times, it will restart, and sometimes clears up, but other times only after refueling. The SES light will go out/reset, after several times of starting truck.
Have heard about a fix for this, but can't find it now. HELP
Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the diesel fuel is the cooling source for the lift pump so when you get lower in volume in fuel the fuel stays at a constant hotter temp then if the tank was full... so i am wandering if you have a sensor that is being sensative to the higher temps when at 1/4 tank...
Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
first and foremost is the liftpump stock or did you do an aftermarket pump with the dreaded draw straw?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Everything is stock. Running Edge on stock, but still acts up.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Bump Some body must have had this happen.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If it is completely stock, then that means that the spring in your fuel canister is stuck, and not letting the canister go all the way to the bottom of the tank. Either drop the tank or pull the bed and check the fuel canister.

Or, the pick up tube could have broken. Either way, it has something to do with the pickup in the tank if it only happens at 1/4 or less.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM

lol the pickup for the fuel pump is in the bottom of a cup. If this screen gets plugged the only way for the fuel pump to draw fuel is over the top of the cup. Thats why you cant draw fuel out of your tank if its 1/4 tank or below.

Fuel pumps are 200 at autozone. Either do that or pull it and clean it. The autozone pump is the exact same brand as factory.

Thats the problem. Never heard of this other stuff everyone is posting, lol

Carey
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the Hellman fuel sump.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Try the Hellman fuel sump.
That's a little drastic me thinks keeping in mind he'd need a new lift pump etc...

... the idea of cutting a hole in the bottom of the tank and bolting something to it hanging down doesn't seem like a good idea, but that's just me.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
That's a little drastic me thinks keeping in mind he'd need a new lift pump etc...

... the idea of cutting a hole in the bottom of the tank and bolting something to it hanging down doesn't seem like a good idea, but that's just me.
Your right....I guess I was thinking about my FASS....or just not thinking!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

Same thing I posted on CF

Drop the tank and pull the fuel pump module (pump/float assy). The fuel inlet screen on the bottom of the pump is most likely caked/clogged up. I've seen this first hand on a buddies truck. After a couple of days of troubleshooting (having the problem go away when the truck was filled), he finally just decided to pull the tank to change the pump. When he pulled the pump/filter assy and then got the pump out of the housing, thats when he knew what the problem was. The inlet screen was caked with sludge with a few metal slivers in it. Total surface area that fuel was able to get through the screen was about the size of a dime. You can't get just the inlet screen, you have to buy the whole friggen pump and screen assy. He cleaned it/agitated it with some kinda cleaner and said it looked like new when finished. After putting everything back together he was good to go. It has been over a year now and is still running fine.

Best explanation I can give is, with more fuel in the tank, there was more weight pushing down on the fuel at the bottom which helped feed the fuel through the inlet screen. As soon as the fuel level would decrease, the pump struggled to pull the fuel through the inlet screen.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM

have run all my trucks to empty a lot and never had any problems. sounds like a one time issue with your truck, like the others are suggestion with the clogged filter on the pump.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Seems like a good time for an upgrade though, I'd go to a Raptor with an in line 2 micron filter if I was doing it again.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

"NavyDood" I think you nailed it on the head. More then likely the filter screen in the fuel cannister assembly is plugged. First hand expierance with that situation. I already had the aftermarket pump so it got installed.

I think many of the issues with OEM lift pumps dieing prematurely is stupid screen on the fuel cannister plugging up. It seems to be that metal and other hard debris is always found in these screens. I think Dodges quality control on cleaning the fuel system properly before assembly may be lacking. Just my opinion.

To the OP drop your tank check that screen. Then you will know for sure.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Being the lazy guy I am, I'd just keep the tank over 1/4 until the problem got worse.

Maybe that's not helpful but it's an easy fix!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dreaded 1/4 Tank Problem