3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

do they know what they are doing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they know what they are doing?

Had to call Dodge tuesday to come and get my truck because it wouldn't start. The day before I filled up took a trip and came back home....had 1/4 tank left in truck and ran fine all day. Next morning I got in it to go to town and it wouldn't start. First they were saying it was contaminated fuel because the fuel has a turqoise tint to it. Then today he said they still havn't figured it out, but eliminated the fuel issue because they hooked a different fuel source up with their diesel and it still wouldn't start. Now he is telling me all they can figure out is that maybe the fuel is contaminated and they need to replace entire fuel system at my expense. They have had it for 3 days and still can't tell me what is wrong with it. I did some reading on here and lots of people, including me have seen the new ulsd with a bluish tint to it. They are trying to tell me I should try and claim it on my auto insurance if they have to replace anything, but I don't think it is the fuel. I am going up there in the morning to look at this fuel and talk to them. I really think if it was bad fuel I would have had problems during trip because I killed and started my truck like 5 times during the day. Think they are just trying to get out of warranty work. Makes me mad truck only has 5000 miles on it. Seems like all they are doing is guessing instead of really diagnosing what problem is..........can I get it taken to different dealer maybe? Sad thing is I have to go back to work Saturday and borrow a truck from my sister. Will be gone two weeks w/o my truck
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM

Okay people might chime in and tell me I'm wrong. Which would be okay since this is a theory not a technical answer. The reason our trucks are unique compared to gas engines, is they don't have spark plugs. The cylinders fire off of a heat source either from burnt fuel or glow plugs. When the engine is "warm" it will burn darn near anything. I've been known to burn WMO after every oil change. This amazes people that I tell, but the truth is when you have high pressure and heat things will burn. After you shut your truck down long enough for it to cool, the fuel you were burning fine at normal operating temps might not burn so well at start up. I wouldn't think this should be anymore than to run some good fuel through to get it going again. I could be wrong though, and I would love to hear others insight.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 AM

Get a sampe of the fuel drawn while you are present and have it analyzed. If it is bad, then the station you pumped it at is responsible. If it is bad, you won't be the only one contacting them. If it's not bad, then it is covered under warranty.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have them drain the fuel out of the fuel filter housing. Then open the fuel filter lid, pull out the filter, pour in new clean fuel into the fuel filter housing, re-install the filter and lid (either the same one or a new one) and make sure that the fuel drain is turned off. Put the key in the ignition, bumpstart the starter to get the pump to prime, but do not start the engine, and do not turn the key off until you hear the pump stop pumping. You may do this a couple times if needed. Then turn key off, and then try to start it as normal. If it doesn't start, pull any codes.

My bet is that your XZT module is messing with the computer. Pull that off so that your truck is back to stock and try starting it again.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 AM

If you have a turqoise color in the fuel, is it a mixture of the red agricultural fuel and regular diesel? If it is, the agricultural, off road diesel does not have the lubrication additives that regular diesel has and can play hell with your injection pump.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:53 AM

I took the xzt off before they came to get it. Am having hell trying to find a place that will analyze fuel.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM

ok, im probably gonna get flamed for this but, I would have fogged it with ether to warm the cylinders up and see if it would have picked up and maintained low idle on diesel. Of course, I would have checked for fuel pressure, clean filter...the normal stuff first. Another thing I would have done is to get some fuel from the filter housing and inspect it for water. If there was no water, I would have put a match to it, to check for gasoline present.
I work on large diesels every day and putting a snort of ether in one is not going to grenade your engine. Only thing is, make sure its warm enough that your intake heater isn't coming on. I would really like to know what they find wrong and whether they warranty it or not. I have heard that same familiar line being said to 2 different guys here locally about "gotta replace the entire fuel system, u reallly need to file this on your insurance...blah,blah,blah.."
While I think there are some cases ofunauthorized modifications, abuse, misuse and unleaded in the tank thet should NOT be a warrantable condition. I also believe that some service managers(the guys that really dictate what the part changers think and do!. Its been my experience that auto dealerships do NOT hire and train TECHNICIANS anymore, most are just part changers) see one problem once and remembers what parts fixed it, so everytime they find one that presents the same symptoms, they automatically assume same problem=same fix!. And, SM's think about all the revenue they made by not warranting and charging it to the insurance company!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 AM

If you are uncomfortable with the work you think they might do, go ahead and have your truck towed someplace else. It is not worth the battle to have them mess with it...fix what isn't broken, and charge you for it. They lose the contaminated fuel argument by plugging it in to thier own source and it still not running...it sounds like they are stabbing at the problem...I don't see how the entire fuel system can "go bad"...flush it prime and go if it is fuel. Seems fishy to me...I'd get my truck out of there if I were uncomfortable with the work.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Diesel didn't look bad to me. Is the new ulsd green colored diesel. Don't think He has ever seen ULSD before he thinks it is contaminated because it is green and doesn't smell like regular diesel.......is sooooooo frustrating .
Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM

My question is ... comtaminated with what? Id take my truck elsewhere...I hope you have options.

Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by danc46
If you have a turqoise color in the fuel, is it a mixture of the red agricultural fuel and regular diesel? If it is, the agricultural, off road diesel does not have the lubrication additives that regular diesel has and can play hell with your injection pump.
This is simply not true. In almost all cases the ag fuel is the same(only dye added) If anything it has MORE lubricity because off road fuel has a couple of more years untill they have to make the switch to ULSD. We have put many 100,000s of miles using red fuel from our on site tank as have most farmers. Modern diesel farm euipment is every as bit as sophisticated as the trucks are. Do think they would blend inferior fuel for farm stuff that costs many times over what new trucks do?
Joe
Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 AM

Lightbulb

Ruuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn naway.
Take your truck elsewhere fast...............It`s under warranty. Don`t pay for anything. Get a sample of the fuel quick. Save it until this issue is resolved.
Seal the sample and have the manager put his mark on the container so they can not say you have tampered with it. Then let the arbitration begin...
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by danc46
I just texted my bulk fuel supplier who says that no matter where you are in these bueatiful United States of America, ALL diesel is either LSD or ULSD. Red dye is added for taxing purposes to make "offroad" diesel. Some call it agricultural. But the bottem line is it's all the same. So fuel lubrication issues are not the problem with your truck.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Well I just got it towed out of there to another dealer that I talked to. They sounded way more knowledgable and said what this dealer is saying doesn't even make since. Come to find out none of the techs at either place have ever even seen ulsd because you have to drive 75 miles to even find it around here. They were just saying it was bad cause it was green and didn't smell like diesel. Have had it for four days, all they charged me for was 2 hours, so I know they couldn't have looked into it very hard. Just can't see contaminated fuel ruining entire fuel system. Will see what this dealership finds out. They will have two weeks to look into it because I have to go back to work tomarrow and will be gone for 2 weeks .
Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM

^^^I would remove that before the Moderators do. Won't be good for your Infraction points!

Quick Reply: do they know what they are doing?