3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by megajoltman
double post you are old
Proud of it! I'd rather be older & wiser than younger and dumb as a rock. I was the dumb rock, I'll take wiser any day.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brickenbone
May be I will go to TOYOTA!! I am done venting now.......
they are coming out with a diesel.
then you could have a ball joint go out and go tell everyone in the toyota forums to never buy another toyota!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM

May be I will go to TOYOTA!! I am done venting now.......
What do you use your truck for?

If a Toyota can replace a 3/4 ton Dodge, then I think you may have bought the wrong truck to begin with.

..................Jim
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM

I have to vent here. What is up with these trucks anymore? 100,000 miles and they are shot. Oh sure there is an ocasional old fart that gets 200,000 miles. This one of mine is nickle and diming me. Injectors,wheelbearings,power steering pump, tranny,ball joints,lift pumps. I have had it.Out of all my buddies only 2 of us have Dodges and we have always got something wrong with our trucks. The guys I know with D-Max's have been flawless. No it hasent been the bully dog cause I only ran it for 10,000 miles. If I can get a good deal saterday Dmax here I come...Any one want to buy a truck?

Get over it, is this your first truck? It's 3 years old.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 PM

I have to vent here. What is up with these trucks anymore? 100,000 miles and they are shot. Oh sure there is an ocasional old fart that gets 200,000 miles. This one of mine is nickle and diming me. Injectors,wheelbearings,power steering pump, tranny,ball joints,lift pumps. I have had it.Out of all my buddies only 2 of us have Dodges and we have always got something wrong with our trucks. The guys I know with D-Max's have been flawless. No it hasent been the bully dog cause I only ran it for 10,000 miles. If I can get a good deal saterday Dmax here I come...Any one want to buy a truck?
Bye
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Every manufacturer has their problems and every manufacturer has a few lemons, but out of all trucks I think Dodge has the least amount of problems. Sure as heck would not buy a Ford, I like the styling but not the engine! Want to trade in the Dodge??? Hang in there another year and you may be able to buy a Yota with a Caterpillar!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDo
Bye
That's messed up! I just gave you a bad reputation mark.

just kidding............

.............Jim
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

The first thing that came to my mind after reading the initial post was the video of the DaisyMax overheating that someone posted about a month ago. Go ahead, buy yourself another headache.

brickenbone,

100K for ball joints is not too bad. I've had some 1/2 ton trucks go longer, and even some gasoline powered 3/4 tons, but never one with a diesel. It weighs almost 1/3 more than the majority of the engines that are put into the chassis.

The 04.5's were plagued with injector problems because it was the first model with the 3rd injection event to satisfy emissions requirements.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 PM

can you post a link to the video of the duramax overheating?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Toyota

Toyota......seems to have a very unpatriotic ring to it.....
Old 04-13-2007, 08:37 AM

I had an 05 Duramax

Towing 8k, 1st gear had a shudder that scared me. Sure felt like tranmission slipping. My buddies that rode behind me to jobs said I had a small amount of blue smoke every time I took off. Now if that ain't enough, pulling 8k around curves, my windows started whistling indicating frame flexing & when I came out of the curve, the whistling didn't stop. I had put window down & back up again, I only had 20k on it. Podnuh you better stay away from those. Oh yeah, the trans always had this moan & groan noise in park. I guess they got the overheating issue taken care of while pulling moderate loads in hills & mountains, & the aluminum heads cracking, phew I'm out of breath... you better think twice. Do your homework, you'll see there a lot more issues with Duramaxs than Dodge. You may have gotten an occasional lemon, that's to be expected from everything made anywhere.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 AM

My business runs them all, mainly I buy whatever is cheapest, but I'm also a ford guy (I know).

I visited this site because one of my trucks with 170k miles had the factory lift pump go out.

This is a 04 crew cab 4wd long bed 2500. The only things replaced other than tires and brakes are front end parts, which are quite weak on these trucks. Thats not bad for 170k miles. My old 03 ford with 145k miles needed balljoints (it did have 37" tires though) and a HPOP at that time. Pretty much the same stuff.

The chevy trucks do break, I've had rears go out, allisons go out, heads crack, and a whole slew of injectors on these trucks.

My fords have had everything under the sun from turbos to engines and rear ends.

The dodges have had a few problems, but in the big scheme they have been a little better IMO, and I'm a ford guy remember. I almost bought a dodge, but after sitting in a King Ranch and being a ford guy it wasn't something I could change. I'll be getting rid of it at 100k miles, and no they don't build them like they used to. Buy a 97 dodge if you want a good truck. I plan to get one sometime in the future.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hairy1
Toyota......seems to have a very unpatriotic ring to it.....
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING But I heard you get FREE rocket fuel with every new yota
Old 04-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM;1457441Do you have any idea how it was treated and maintained for the first 90,000 miles you [B
didn't[/B] own it?

this is a the best point i have seen in regards to this truck.

i don't care what make you buy, they all will have problems, but its a numbers game. The question is who has the best track record, that is who i would go with and roll the dice.

I am sure that anyone of us could bash some company.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM

here is the link for that HOT D-MAX LOL

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...af013f4333.htm

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins