3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

differential ring gear photos for comment

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with jkitterman-the wear pattern on the gears are nowhere near the machine marks that you highlighted in your pics. Those marks you highlighted are (1) away from the marked areas showing gear mesh, (2) have sharp, demarcated edges indicating machining-irregular wear or damage doesn't produce sharp edges like that, and (3) are at the edge of the ring gear-nowhere near where the pinion contacts (as shown by the pattern on the ring gear). I think everyone above is correct-unless you hear noise, leave it alone.

Trust me when I say casting "defects" can produce a lot of strange looking things on machined parts. The thing to remember is that just because a part has a casting defect DOESN'T mean that it's out of tolerance or not usable-as long as the defect doesn't involve areas of importance. If you want a great example, look at any of the cast (or, for that matter, forged) cranks from any old mopar big block-lots of defects on the crank counterweights, but the journals were machined true. Once the factory balanced the crank, the "defects" didn't make a squat bit of difference.

Leave your gears alone If the only reason you're staring at those gears is to change the diff oil, and the only reason you're changing the oil is because you're at 15K on it (and not because they're making noise), then your diff is just fine.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodge35000
Setting gears up shallow will not prevent ring gear deflection. Moreover, setting the pinion shallow would cause most of the loading to be put on the crown portion of the ring gear tooth.

Setting the pinion depth correctly would center the pattern between the root and the crown of the ring gear tooth and also between the heel and the toe of the ring gear tooth.

Setting the carrier bearing preloads correctly is what prevents ring gear deflection. Utilizing an inch/pounds recording torque wrench to measure Pinion Torque To Rotate(PTTR) and subtracting it from Total Torque To Rotate(TTTR) will determine the carrier bearing preload.
In a perfect world...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Setting gears up shallow will not prevent ring gear deflection. Moreover, setting the pinion shallow would cause most of the loading to be put on the crown portion of the ring gear tooth.

Setting the pinion depth correctly would center the pattern between the root and the crown of the ring gear tooth and also between the heel and the toe of the ring gear tooth.

Setting the carrier bearing preloads correctly is what prevents ring gear deflection. Utilizing an inch/pounds recording torque wrench to measure Pinion Torque To Rotate(PTTR) and subtracting it from Total Torque To Rotate(TTTR) will determine the carrier bearing preload.
Tell you what, when you have gone through umpteen sets of R&P on a heavy, high torque car, you learn things.

Perhaps not so much ring gear deflection, but high torque WILL suck the pinion back. I ended up about .002 shallow for the best combination of pattern, noise, and R&P life on my car.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by bcfitzsimons
Leave your gears alone If the only reason you're staring at those gears is to change the diff oil, and the only reason you're changing the oil is because you're at 15K on it (and not because they're making noise), then your diff is just fine.
X2

stupidtooshortrule
Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
patdaly is talking about how we're seeing 2, 3 or more times the power through some of these gearsets than the designers ever intended. Even the strongest gears set up perfectly, steel-on-steel will only take so much....

OTOH, you can have a worn out gearset with sawdust in the oil whining away for years behind a tired 4-banger.

In a perfect world, I'd have titanium alloy gears with NASA-grade bearings and lubricants that could stand up to any tuner stack with dual CP3s and the biggest injectors they make pounding them all day. Then I woke up...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 AM

Looks like the pinion is not set deep enough. Like the others have said, if its not howling dont mess with it. If you adjust anything you will be buying new gears.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks for additional answers. Consensus is leave it alone so I will. To measure backlash or pinion depth seems to require some dismantling which I won't try till warranty expires. When I first purchased truck there was no play in the driveline. I would expect a little, but I think it now excessive. So, whether this be too much backlash or lack of pinion depth, could this represent the majority of play in the drivetrain ? If so, I would consider buying replacement gearset at 70k. Comments ?

Sven
Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Actually, you can check the backlash and pattern without dismantling anything other than taking the differential cover off.

To check the backlash just set up a dial indicator on a ring gear tooth and rock the differntial back and forth. Take the reading to see how much play there is when your rock it back and forth.

As far as checking the pattern just jack up the rear end, paint about 5 ring gear teeth, and turn the differential one revolution in each direction. Then match the pattern up to a chart that has gear contact patterns such as this:
http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Svenne
Thanks for additional answers. Consensus is leave it alone so I will. To measure backlash or pinion depth seems to require some dismantling which I won't try till warranty expires. When I first purchased truck there was no play in the driveline. I would expect a little, but I think it now excessive. So, whether this be too much backlash or lack of pinion depth, could this represent the majority of play in the drivetrain ? If so, I would consider buying replacement gearset at 70k. Comments ?

Sven
How much play do you have there at the back of the driveshaft? What is recommended? I replaced my seal there today and noticed an excessive amount of play.

Jared
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM

The backlash on used R&P should be less than .010". There shouldn't be any end play.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
HOV

Aside: Those are really nice pics!!! What camera, lens, focal length & f-stop did you use? What kind of lighting?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

carefulll what you read, and what patterns you look at!
factory gears are cut much diferently than aftermarket and setup is nowheres near the same!
when some one said .010" b/l is ok on used, used aftermarket yes, used oem , no.
latemodel gears set up tight! ie: .002-.003 b/l, older oem and aftermarket are in the .006-.010 range.

gota love internet based misinformation based on oldshool technology.

Actually, you can check the backlash and pattern without dismantling anything other than taking the differential cover off.

To check the backlash just set up a dial indicator on a ring gear tooth and rock the differntial back and forth. Take the reading to see how much play there is when your rock it back and forth.

As far as checking the pattern just jack up the rear end, paint about 5 ring gear teeth, and turn the differential one revolution in each direction. Then match the pattern up to a chart that has gear contact patterns such as this:
http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Svenne
>Any noticeable chunkage inside?

No chunkage, about 1/4" of very fine buildup on magnetic plug. Thanks for reply.

Sven
The AAM TracRite if worked much leaves fine metal on the magnet and in the bottom of the hog head. It's a good idea to change the fluid often.
Billy
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by gus's 03
carefulll what you read, and what patterns you look at!
factory gears are cut much diferently than aftermarket and setup is nowheres near the same!
when some one said .010" b/l is ok on used, used aftermarket yes, used oem , no.
latemodel gears set up tight! ie: .002-.003 b/l, older oem and aftermarket are in the .006-.010 range.

gota love internet based misinformation based on oldshool technology.
The Dodge Factory Service Manual calls for a backlash setting of .005" to .007" when setting up factory(AAM) gears in 2003 and up Dodge 2500/3500 trucks. If you were to set up AAM gears used in the 2003 and up Dodge 2500/3500 at .002" backlash you may overheat and ruin the gears as .002 is out of the specification and would not allow a thick enough film of gear oil to lubricate the gear teeth.

Weather the gears are aftermarket gears or factory gears has no bearing on the backlash setting; however, it has everything to do with the manufacturing process involved.

For example, the gears manufactured by AAM(OEM) for our trucks call for a .005 to .007 backlash setting because they are manufactured using a two-cut design that allows a tighter backlash specification. Gears manufactured by US Gear(aftermarket) for our trucks call for a .008 to .012 backlash seting because they are manufactured using a five-cut design which requires a looser backlash specification.

There are not too many gear contact pattern charts for the two-cut design which is why I referred to the Yukon website. The ideal contact pattern for the two-cut design is slightly different than the five-cut design. The ideal contact pattern will still be centered heel to toe and root to crown, but the contact pattern will appear slanted or "biased" going diagonally across the tooth.

Below are two ideal contact patterns with a two-cut gears:

Name:  AAM115GearSwap026.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  47.0 KB

Below is an ideal contact pattern with a five-cut gear:

Name:  AAM115GearSwap112.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Since it's not on the wearing surface most likely done to remove rough edges during assembly by AA. If no metal particles on magnet I wouldn't worry about it.