3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Develops a Bad miss at idle SOMETIMES!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Develops a Bad miss at idle SOMETIMES!

Newbie here making my first post. My truck gets a bad miss in it sometimes like when it is at idle. By that I mean that I can drive it up the road and it will run just fine, but when I stop at a stop sign or red light it will start to miss real bad again. Take off and it will smooth out and run fine until the next stop. It puffs a little white smoke when it does this. Giving it throttle at idle only makes it worse. It will not smooth out unless you take off down the road. Just changed the fuel filter that wouldn't really dirty but that didn't help. It will also do after sitting overnight on the cold startup. On the cold startups it kinda reminds me of a big rig when you start them cold how they run real rough and blow white smoke until they get warmed up. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem. This is my first diesel and I don't really have any ideas what it could be. Truck has 57K miles on it. Thanks in advance for anyones help.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No expert but I would start by putting in some injector cleaner. A rough idle and bits of the white smoke are great indicators of this. Do you also get same when you first start in the morning? If you don't tow much or run it hard you may be getting those injectors a bit more dirty than you need.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM

Done tried the injector cleaner-Lucas with the last 2 tanks and no change. I do tow a 31ft fifth wheel camper occassionally. Keep my chip on 1 most of the time. 2 when i am towing. Turn it up to 5 sometimes when i am just playing around town to blow a little smoke. I would say its not from being run hard enough cause its hard not to put your foot in these beast to unleash the power. Yes it does do it in the morning when I first start it up but it will still do it only at idle after it gets warmed up. I had the truck scanned and shows no codes at all. No loss of power. I took the Edge off just to see if that made any difference but it didn't change a thing. Anything else it could be? I have had a couple of people ask me if it was the cam shaft sensor and I would think if it was that, it would throw a code. Any more ideas?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try cleaning the fca on the back on the cp3
Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rpainter
try cleaning the fca on the back on the cp3
Can you give me a little more info on what these are and where they are located?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Just to give everyone an update on my truck and its problem. Took it to a local dealer in Bowling Green, KY yesterday evening at 5:30 PM and told them what the truck was doing. They said we will start on it first thing in the morning. I get a phone call this morning at 9:45 AM from the dealer and he says my truck is fixed and ready to go. Culprit was #4 injector was going down. They checked all of them and #4 was the only one bad. Had the part in stock, fixed and ready to go. I will go get her this evening and see how it does. Keeping my fingers crossed. Oh by the way all fixed under warranty.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:15 PM

When you took the truck to the dealer for repair did you leave on all the aftermarket equipment??? The dealer that I spoke to would not warranty work if mods were made..
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 38short
When you took the truck to the dealer for repair did you leave on all the aftermarket equipment??? The dealer that I spoke to would not warranty work if mods were made..
Thats a big NO. I took everything off except the straight pipe. Took it back bone stock except the straight pipe. They didn't ask any questions. Just fixed it. I knew they would probably try and void my warranty if I left the goodies on there and thats why I took them off.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 PM

I had that problem a while back while the truck was still covered and it still does it from time to time. The mechanic had the computer hooked up to the truck when it missed and he said that was normal, nothing to worry about.
The real test he said was to listen to the exhaust coming out of the pipe when you hear the engine miss. When ever I get concerned about it I go listen, there isn't any sound difference.

Hope this helps you
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Mine was a very noticable miss. I could really tell when it was doing it. It would puff a little white smoke after the engine warmed up when it did it. On a cold startup it would blow out a ton of white smoke. Just got home from the dealer with it and it ran fine. No miss or white smoke. Smooth running again. They pulled all 6 injectors and checked them. #4 was the only one that showed up bad. The thing ran fine all the way home. I guess only time will tell. Best thing is it didn't cost me a penny.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

I've got the same intermittant miss, and you can here it at the exhaust pipe. It is not a "patterned" miss, but kind of a random sputtering. I can use the high-idle option to run it up to 1500 rpm and it still does it.

Oil level seems normal.

Is this a sign of an injector going bad? If so, how will it fail? In other words, when it goes bad all the way, does it stick open, or simply quit injecting?

Thanks, Eric
Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by WireEDMman
Thats a big NO. I took everything off except the straight pipe. Took it back bone stock except the straight pipe. They didn't ask any questions. Just fixed it. I knew they would probably try and void my warranty if I left the goodies on there and thats why I took them off.

Pyrometer hole? what did you do about that.. a plug of sometype?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
I've got the same intermittant miss, and you can here it at the exhaust pipe. It is not a "patterned" miss, but kind of a random sputtering. I can use the high-idle option to run it up to 1500 rpm and it still does it.

Oil level seems normal.

Is this a sign of an injector going bad? If so, how will it fail? In other words, when it goes bad all the way, does it stick open, or simply quit injecting?

Thanks, Eric
That sounds exactly the same way that mine was doing. A diesel mechanic told me that if the injector went completely out, that it would start dumping fuel into the oil and thats not good. So I parked mine until I took it to the dealer on Monday evening. I drove mine to work and back today and it seemed to run just fine like its supposed to.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

That sounds exactly the same way that mine was doing. A diesel mechanic told me that if the injector went completely out, that it would start dumping fuel into the oil and thats not good.
Hmmm, that's not what I wanted to hear! It'll be at least another 2 months before I have the cash to put towards injectors... I hope it holds together a little while yet.

--Eric
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jsafe
Pyrometer hole? what did you do about that.. a plug of sometype?
I put a plug in it and they never asked any questions about it. Guess I just got lucky.

Quick Reply: Develops a Bad miss at idle SOMETIMES!