3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

dash board brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash board brake light stays on

Ok, just replaced my p/s pump and flushed the old brake fluid out and replaced with DOT 4 on my 2003 dodge 2500. I've only driven it about 150 miles and the dash-board brake light; the one that lights up when the parking brake is on; lit up and stays on. The ABS light didn't come on when it happened and I didn't hear any warning chimes. Master cylinder level is full and p/s pump is full, and when I installed the pump I followed the bleeding instructions posted in the forum site. Also, the brake pedal has great feel, not spongy and doesn't bottom out when you push hard, and no trouble codes. ABS/Speed sensor problem maybe? Any ideas? As always, the help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
If you have brake light only then chances are it's just park brake switch or park brake out of adjustment or stretched cable. Try lifting up on park brake pedal and see if light goes off. The ABS light would come on if you had a sensor go out on you. Also check to make sure your brake lights are working.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM

the parking brake is up all the way and making contact with the switch for the light and the brake lights are working. I'm thinking that the brake fluid level sensor on the reservoir is kaput. found the thread that had the part number for the sensor and ordered it. will have to see if that does the trick.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Disconnect the switch and see if light goes out, it's just a grounding switch to turn on light.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM

just an update, the brake lights are now on all the time when the ignition is on, but the third light (cab light) is not. replaced the light switch and no change. cab light works when brake pedal is pressed and main brake lights work properly when the ignition is off, and cruise control doesn't work. have both batteries disconnected and essentially putting the truck in time-out...lol. going to reconnect the batts in a few and see what that gives me.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mtb1982
just an update, the brake lights are now on all the time when the ignition is on, but the third light (cab light) is not. replaced the light switch and no change. cab light works when brake pedal is pressed and main brake lights work properly when the ignition is off, and cruise control doesn't work. have both batteries disconnected and essentially putting the truck in time-out...lol. going to reconnect the batts in a few and see what that gives me.
my brake lights are on as well the whole time the truck is running but when I turn the truck off they go off, this is after I took the heater core out to check it for leaks, after reinstalling the dash the red e brake light was on and went go off, the switch is making contact and the fluid is full in the reservoir. What can this be???