2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Airbag light on dash stays on

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Airbag light on dash stays on

Gentlemen,<br><br>Back again to ask for help.<br><br>The airbag light on the dash of my '95 12-valve recently started to come on intermittently while driving. Now it is on most of the time - comes on when I start the truck, goes out normally, but comes back on in a few minutes and mostly stays on. I read the service manual and it claims I need the dealer/service computer to diagnose this.<br><br>Questions:<br>Anyone know of a gauge or aftermarket instrument that will pinch hit for the computer so I can diagnose this?<br>Anyone know a &quot;typical&quot; reason for the light to behave this way?<br>Any ideas of quick things to check to eliminate simple/stupid/obvious causes?<br><br>As far as I can tell, the clockspring is ok - the cruse and horn work. Only other clue is the weather here in Texas has just started to warm up - first time the light went on was after about 75 miles at 70 - 80 mph on a 80+ degree day.<br><br>Thanks in advance your your input.<br><br>Regards,<br>BobCat
Old 05-07-2003, 07:17 PM
ejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Airbag light on dash stays on

My old 94 Dakota did the same thing.Its a wire in the steering console that goes bad.They told me it would be $165 to fix it,but I never did.The air bag will not work when the light is on.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:01 AM

Thanks! I will take apart the steering column and look for a broken wire - maybe the wiring diagram in the manual will give a clue about color codes and help identify the right ones to look at.<br><br>I would not have bought the airbag - if they weren't mandated by the federal government I would not have it on my truck (since I wear the belt) - but I do not like leaving things broken or disfunctional, with a light to remind me I am too lazy or incompetent to fix it.<br><br>Anyway - thanks again. <br><br>Purrrs,<br>Bobcat
Old 05-09-2003, 10:30 PM
HC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once heard there is a Federal law that says &quot;safety devices&quot; have to be fixed; like seat belts for example. If true, it might be that the dealer would have to fix your airbag without charge. Might be worth doing some research to find out...
Old 05-12-2003, 09:14 AM

I doubt there is any law that says the dealer has to fix it for free. If anything, it means I could get in trouble for not paying to have it fixed.<br><br>Meanwhile it has gone back to behaving normally for the time being.<br><br>What I'm really after is an aftermarket &quot;computer&quot; - a box to read the diagnostic codes that the manual says ought to tell me what is wrong. I see things like this advertised but don't know which, if any, is the right one for this problem.<br><br>Anyway, Happy Monday and thanks for your reply.<br><br>Regards,<br>BobCat