3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ctd fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try dropping down to about 65 (1800 RPM). I know it hard to do, but that is a sweet spot for mine.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished a trip from the Bay Area to Reno (Mount Rose) and back. My overhead said that I got 20.6 MPG, but hand calc was 21.9 MPG. My best ever is 23.3 hand calc, and I have achieved that twice. My overhead always seems to run a little low. I checked the odometer and it is right on.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigiron
I just finished a trip from the Bay Area to Reno (Mount Rose) and back. My overhead said that I got 20.6 MPG, but hand calc was 21.9 MPG. My best ever is 23.3 hand calc, and I have achieved that twice. My overhead always seems to run a little low. I checked the odometer and it is right on.
My overhead constantly runs low also, I always hand calculate.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Mileage

Currently in the winter, mid 15's to 16's city driving. Best i've seen is 20.8mpg highway but it's been quite awhile since I've seen that. Last tank overhead showed 15.1 mpg and hand calculated was 15.6mpg..

-------
04.5 Dodge 3500 SRW QC 4x4 Auto 5.9 Cummins. 3:73's 265/70/17, leveling kit, PSC brace, ARE Z series.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
My overhead constantly runs low also, I always hand calculate.
I almost didn't buy my truck because the mileage on the overhead was so low. The dealer let me take it on a drive that was long enough to hand calculate the mileage and I found the truck was delivering 20 MPG. Sold!!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Best mileage i have seen is right over 21mpg. Stock truck, except i have a soft tonneu cover. Most times I am around 16-18 mixed driving. If i let it idle much, it can drop to around 15 or so.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Who said 900 miles from a tank of Diesel?

Where did you get that tank, and how big is it? 70 gallons or so?

Or, are you one of those guys with those short low rider tires on your rig?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ranchertx

That is a lot of miles on a stock tank! The most I have ever put on one tank is 697 miles from station on HWY 80 in Nevada up to Coeur de Alene, Idaho where I filled up. My truck took exactly 30.0 gallons, so I have five gallons left and might have been able to stretch to 800 miles if I was willing to go to fumes in the tank. That comes out to 23.3 MPG and equals the best I ever got.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ranchertx

Sorry guys, stock tank and stock tires. Re-read my post a little more carefully gents. I simply posted here so folks would know the capabilities, as far as efficiency is concerned, of our trucks. I really dont care if you cant grasp that or believe it. I find it amusing that someone can post that their truck makes 800hp and 1500lb/ft. and its instant credibility. Someone posts better than 22mpg and everyone calls B.S.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

I can put 40 gallons into my stock tank with the vent kit. I also have stock tires. I regularly get over 800 miles per tank. I go between El Paso and San Antonio with quite a bit to spare.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
I can put 40 gallons into my stock tank with the vent kit. I also have stock tires. I regularly get over 800 miles per tank. I go between El Paso and San Antonio with quite a bit to spare.
How hard was it to drop the tank to do the install of the vent kit? In my old Chevy all the fasteners were on top of the tank and it was a real bear to drop a tank without pulling the bed. Of course, I guess I could just crawl under my truck and look, but it's raining.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bigiron
How hard was it to drop the tank to do the install of the vent kit? In my old Chevy all the fasteners were on top of the tank and it was a real bear to drop a tank without pulling the bed. Of course, I guess I could just crawl under my truck and look, but it's raining.
Fairly easy. Two nuts holding the straps up.........I used a floor jack to lift and then lower the tank.......just make sure the tank is empty. You also need deep sockets for the nuts. I always pulled the bed on my 98 GMC.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
FYI the overhead is useless. You are NOT getting 28 mpg.

REPEAT YOU ARE NOT GETTING 28 MPG

& the other guys sure is NOT getting 31 mpg.

Please stop kidding yourself
I am aware of the 8-10% it's off
That's a whole new discussion though

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Wow. Real humans that believe these gimmicks work.

You know, some people feel better when given a placebo instead of the real drug. It's true, in blind medical studies, some people are given sugar pills and they SWEAR they are getting better.

Same as the Tornado. It was PROVEN to reduce mileage and power, but some people will say it helps.

I say, put it on the dyno like the testers at Readers Digest and Mythbusters did. The computer isn't fooled by fancy packaging. It won't lie. And the power and mileage went DOWN.

I know folks who put magnets on their fuel lines and SWEAR the mileage went up. You just can't help some people.
I agree with the placebo drama but only to a certain extent because the sad part is, sugar only cure's those who have nothing to begin with, just a faulty brain sensor.

I don't know about the testing so i will not comment on that but my mechanical engineering background tells me otherwise. I made mine with a piece of tin and it works
With all due respect, if vortex generators didn't work, they wouldn't have jet propulsion engines work the way they do, turbine blades shaped the way they are.
Fact of the matter is, if changing the way air flows didn't matter or couldn't be done. I wouldn't have to learn and deal with aerodynamics. Oh! and wind tunnels and air flow labs wouldn't exist either coz there'd be no use for em.
We can discuss magnets some other time
Not trying to be snotty, just making a point
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SolarExpress
Sorry guys, stock tank and stock tires. Re-read my post a little more carefully gents. I simply posted here so folks would know the capabilities, as far as efficiency is concerned, of our trucks. I really dont care if you cant grasp that or believe it. I find it amusing that someone can post that their truck makes 800hp and 1500lb/ft. and its instant credibility. Someone posts better than 22mpg and everyone calls B.S.
I like how you put that
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

What does changing the aerodynamics of air flow (with a Tornado , which has been proven not to increase efficiency) have to do with a more efficient fuel burn? If you have made a device that does increase mileage, I suggest you patent it. I have no disagreement that you get around 22mpg hand calculated. That is similar to my experience ( with out a tornado or similar device).

Quick Reply: ctd fuel mileage