3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ctd fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more mpg

does any one use or have tried the tornado an air flow device that helps air get to the engine easier like when you swirl a 2 liter bottle upside down with water in it and comes out faster .
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 04600CTDRAM2500
does any one use or have tried the tornado an air flow device that helps air get to the engine easier like when you swirl a 2 liter bottle upside down with water in it and comes out faster .
A 2 liter bottle is a closed system where air is coming in the same hole that fluid is trying to get out of. Your intake is completely different. But most people didn't realize that and got suckered into the 'Tornado'.

There have been dozens of studies proving these 'Tornado's' DO NOT WORK, in fact, they restrict your airflow and cause a loss of power/mileage.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM

tornado mpg

looking back at all the posts im the one thats getting ok or even better mpg than most . so as far as losing power and restricting air i havent lost any thing maybe just didnt gain what i was looking for .so maybe the studies are not really real .i got better mpg with my tail gate off not down but off .so what your saying is take it out and ill be on top off the mpg race .dont really think it works or hurts a thing .what im going to do is take it out then post on my findings
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best MPG increase I have seen is from inflating my tires to 80 PSI. All else has been negligible. Including homemade air mods, Rokkteck sensor,and Smarty. I do average about 23 mpg at 1800 rpm.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM

mpg

Originally Posted by annabelle
The Besr MPG increase I have seen is from inflating my tires to 80 PSI. All else has been negligible. In including homemade air mods, Rokkteck sensor,and Smarty. I do average about 23 mpg at 1800 rpm.
sounds about what im running and getting for mpg .would love t0 put another gear on her or even put a splitter on the tranny . dosent 1750rmp at 80 mph or even 1500rmp at 65 sound good or better mpg .i need money and lots of help to do such a modification any ideas?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM

sounds about what im running and getting for mpg .would love t0 put another gear on her or even put a splitter on the tranny . dosent 1750rmp at 80 mph or even 1500rmp at 65 sound good or better mpg .i need money and lots of help to do such a modification any ideas?
Getting good mileage isn't just about keeping your engine RPM down. Even if you go to long gears, as your speed increases air drag on your truck also increases at the square of velocity. This and hard acceleration is what really eats up fuel when you drive fast.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
A 2 liter bottle is a closed system where air is coming in the same hole that fluid is trying to get out of. Your intake is completely different. But most people didn't realize that and got suckered into the 'Tornado'.

There have been dozens of studies proving these 'Tornado's' DO NOT WORK, in fact, they restrict your airflow and cause a loss of power/mileage.
Lost Lake is right about the sell job. You already have a built in tornado. It's called a.....wait for it....

Turbo.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My best mpg has been 21 driving 55-58 MPH. Normal non winter mpg empty on the Hwy is 18-20, 13-16 city, winter driving mpg has been between 14.95 and 17.5.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 PM

I seem to average 19.6 MPG calculated my tires and 50 gallons of diesel in a saddle tank in the bed don't help. Stock tires with both tanks empty the best I've got 25.3 MPG flat ground at 63 mph slight tail wind.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by OCMerrill
Lost Lake is right about the sell job. You already have a built in tornado. It's called a.....wait for it....

Turbo.
if thats already built in than why is it your milage goes down when all your filters start to get dirty or did any not think of that cause thats when i now its time to change filters when my mpg goes down and driving hasnt changed . but as i said ill take it out and post my findings as soon as i change them i back up again
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if thats already built in than why is it your milage goes down when all your filters start to get dirty or did any not think of that cause thats when i now its time to change filters when my mpg goes down and driving hasnt changed . but as i said ill take it out and post my findings as soon as i change them i back up again
What do dirty filters have to do with a Tornado?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Someone earlier in the thread quoted 31 MPG, i don't doubt it. I have gotten as much as 28 MPG @ 60 mph. all readings are from the overhead comp and are without the smarty activated.
Oh! and i am 21, so i cant drive like a hypermiler

I dont agree with the tornado (vortex generator) reducing power. After i installed mine, the mpg increase was negligible but there was a noticible increase in power delivery, only delivery, this was with the truck bone stock.
I'd say these tornado's are in the same boat as grid heater deletes, changing your intake manifolds.
Because if we think about it, its only changing the way air enters, not how much enters.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by LeaperV12
Someone earlier in the thread quoted 31 MPG, i don't doubt it. I have gotten as much as 28 MPG @ 60 mph. all readings are from the overhead comp and are without the smarty activated.
Oh! and i am 21, so i cant drive like a hypermiler

I dont agree with the tornado (vortex generator) reducing power. After i installed mine, the mpg increase was negligible but there was a noticible increase in power delivery, only delivery, this was with the truck bone stock.
I'd say these tornado's are in the same boat as grid heater deletes, changing your intake manifolds.
Because if we think about it, its only changing the way air enters, not how much enters.
this guy said it better ....... and what tornado has to do with dirty filters is the more you have the more youll get the less you have the less you get whit out increasing the power and shorting the life of the truck a little is still that much more this is why most people have a ctd is the long lives with very little problems
Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM

I have had a couple of Dodge Trucks one 3/4 ton 1998, 4WD and I never got over 18.5 on a long road trip. My 2007 5.9 One ton dually 4X4 will get 15 on the hwy if I am lucky.

We haev taken long hunting trips and had 3-4 Dodge truck in the group and everyone got about the same mileage. I think the guys saying they get 21-29 MPG should be in Congress.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Some problems I see for poor mpg is many drive it like its got a V8 thinking the engine has to turn 2300-3000 RPM in every gear to get up to speed. I think how the engine was broke in when new also affects how good or bad your fuel mileage will be along with the grade of fuel used and if you use quality fuel filters (7 micron or smaller) that keep junk and water away from the injectors, note not all fuel filters are water fuel separators and we know water is no good for injectors. Also a good work out once a month is a must along with a bit of fuel additive. But then we also know that some engines that no matter what have poor fuel mileage. I've noticed that if I keep mine RPM's under 1800 and no head winds I can keep my fuel mileage in the 19.5-21 mpg range on the Hwy when empty.

JMO

Quick Reply: ctd fuel mileage