3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Costco battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costco battery problems

I have had them about a year and noticed my terminals corroded so I cleaned em with terminal cleaner and wire brush, then a week later they were just as bad so I used baking soda and wire brush. I then sprayed the terminals with that red spray and the fill covers decided to leak all over the battery boxes and surrounding area. Did I just happen to get two bad batteries or should I be looking for another problem? After a lenghty argument because I'm no longer a member they finally gave me my money back and I got a set of Diehard Platinum's, alot on the pricey side but 6 yr replacement so we'll see what these do.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 PM

You might have a charging issue which was causing the batteries to boil? Other than that I wouldn't know. I have been running the DieHard Platinum batteries for well over a year now with absolutely no corrosion issues whatsoever, or any issues for that matter.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my original batteries with two from Costco in September and I am not having this corrosion problem. The reason that I go with tires and batteries from Costco is that we spend a lot of time in the US. and Costco's warranty crosses borders.
Jim O
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 AM

I put in two Costco batteries about 2-years ago and they're working just fine, and no corrosion at all. I love Costco - my experience is, if you ever have any problems with their stuff they always make good on it... don't even need your receipt!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I met a Ford 7.3 owner who goes through a set of Costco batteries every two years. They just give him new ones. I've had great luck with their RV ones.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM

I bought a pair of wally world batteries on 8-11-08 and they died today.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can't skimp on batteries or it will cost you. Yes, cheap batteries will puke all over the place. My tractor had an Exide when brand new. It was a acid puking piece of junk from day one. I should have changed it out the first year when I started having issues. The undertray has rusted and made a mess. I have since replaced it and fix the corrosion the best I could. I hate cheap batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah but....

I bought a sealed battery for my tractor at the local FLeet Farm and it died 18 months into the warranty. I took it back and they just swapped out a new one, no questions, no tests, nothing.

Now I swap out a new one every year.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 PM

I've been running Costco batteries for years. Never a problem. I've also had good luck with the Wal-Mart batteries (both in vehicles and ATVs).

I have to believe your problems are the exception and not the rule.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I've been running the factory batteries in my truck for over 5 years now. I expect them to die on me anytime, but can't complain when they do.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 PM
RCW

I strongly recommend a charging system diagnostic. Boiling batteries that have been properly cared for, even cheap ones, is usually a charging system problem.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
You can't skimp on batteries or it will cost you. Yes, cheap batteries will puke all over the place. My tractor had an Exide when brand new. It was a acid puking piece of junk from day one. I should have changed it out the first year when I started having issues. The undertray has rusted and made a mess. I have since replaced it and fix the corrosion the best I could. I hate cheap batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. If your battery is barfing acid out everywhere, kick it to the curb before it turns your whole engine compartment to trash. Exides do seem to be the worst, like the Mopar replacement batteries that Dodge sells.

It is possible that a charging system fault can cause it, but in my experience, it's usually just a bad battery.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 AM

i have had costco batteries in several rigs i have had and never had any problems with them. one of my trucks didnt even have a battery hold down and the battery was jumping around all the time in the box and never had any problems or any corrosion with them
Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 PM

So what is a good battery brand to buy for a Dodge diesel?
Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bill M.
So what is a good battery brand to buy for a Dodge diesel?
An AGM type battery is your best bet (Optima/Odyssey) I am partial to the Sears Platinum, made by Odyssey. Quite pricey though...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM

I haven't had any issues so far with the Sears Platinum's not sure how to check the charging system other than my radar detector show's 14.3 when first starting truck then runs around 14 after driven for awhile. Think I may have just run into some defective batteries.

Quick Reply: Costco battery problems