3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant leak

I have started to notice a small puddle of coolant under my truck when it is cold outsite. It only happen when its below 60 outside and the truck has not been driven. Usually overnight. Looked under it and saw coolant dripping from the bell housing. Could this be a rear freeze plug leaking?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Silver_goat, on my 06 on the passenger side of the truck unger the hood. There was a small length of hose w/ worm gear clamps. Mine was leaking there and was running down the bellhousing. The warranty fix was a new section of hose w/clamps that always held tension, pretty much like the rest of the clamps under the hood. The dealer still couldn't locate the leak on my first visit. I spent the time and found it then they fixed. Oh well, that did fix it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:15 PM

I noticed that hose you are talking about. I did not take the time to check it because it would only leak when cold. My thinking was if the hose was bad it should leak all the time and not just when cold.

I appreciate your info. I will get under there and take a look.

Goat.

Originally Posted by belltech64
Silver_goat, on my 06 on the passenger side of the truck unger the hood. There was a small length of hose w/ worm gear clamps. Mine was leaking there and was running down the bellhousing. The warranty fix was a new section of hose w/clamps that always held tension, pretty much like the rest of the clamps under the hood. The dealer still couldn't locate the leak on my first visit. I spent the time and found it then they fixed. Oh well, that did fix it.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 AM

me too

Silver_goat,

Did your dealership get this fixed. I have the same problem since coming back for a Vegas trip. It's staying the night at the dealership, they would not replace mentioned hose. It was the "cannot be duplicated" statement, this after 3 visits. They went on a long explanation about other things that it could be, i just want it fixed.

I found it the next morning after the return trip, i was sweating bullets. I thought for sure it was a leaking torque converter.

I'm glad i did a search on this....this site amazes me!!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Have not had a chance yet. Been on the road working. I am going to get out tomorrow and get under the truck and see if I can see where its leaking from before going to the dealer. If I can point it out to them directly it seems to help things get done. I do not want to take it in and get that "unable to duplicate problem" stuff from the dealer.

I will post my findings.

goat
Old 11-03-2006, 05:38 PM

10-4

i just got my back with no repairs, they could not duplicate problem. I'll have to follow your lead...find it for them

well i guess i'll see in the morning.

thanks....

btw, what type of work does your truck do? i just pull our toy for now.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the plugs on the top of the engine next to the Valve cover. They should have a square hole that a 3/8ths ratchet will fit. They maybe loose.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:30 PM

I had that coolant leak two years ago. Same thing, noticed it dripping of the bell housing. Traced it up to the top of the block just below the valve cover. There was a faint trace trail of coolant leading rearward. The cummins engine, when parked level, block is at a 17 degree angle, so that where it drips to. Like 03 ant a hemi said, check your pipe plugs on the passenger side top of the block. I lost about a quart before I found the source. Just off the top of my head there are 3 - 1/2" pipe plugs that should torque to 40 ft.lbs and 1 - 3/8" pipeplug that requires 25 ft. lbs, mine where all very very loose! A 3/8 drive fits perfect.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is funny about those plugs is that you dont notice that they are leaking. You would think they would be wet. But mine werent. The only reason I got onto this was I noticed discoloration around the holes. And noticed I had an oil leak. from the valve cover. So I checked everything that a wrench or adaptor could fit into.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I found what I beleive is the coolant leak. The drip was comming from the bottom of the tube that a gray hose connects to comming from the heater core on the passenger side. The hose had some clamps on it that were loose and needed to be tightened. Based on how loose these clamps were, I think the hose was the problem. I checked the plugs on the head and they were all tight and no coolant was there. Hopefully that is all it was.

The leak could be comming from the tube that connects the back of the block to the hose but I doubt it.

I will give it a day or so to see. It was leaking pretty good. Had a 10 inch puddle of coolant under the truck and could see it dripping.

Goat
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Prospector,

check your hose. (Wow there a joke in that statement ) I bet that's where your leak is comming from.

My truck really does not have to work to hard I use it on the weekends to tow my 10k 5ver and work around the yard. It also is my daily commuter so it never really gets worked all that hard.

goat

Originally Posted by Prospector
10-4

i just got my back with no repairs, they could not duplicate problem. I'll have to follow your lead...find it for them

well i guess i'll see in the morning.

thanks....

btw, what type of work does your truck do? i just pull our toy for now.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:25 PM

My truck just started leaking I thought trans,but it was alot thinner.Dieseltruckresource + search feature=no trip to the dealer thanks guy's Name:  100_3446.jpg
Views: 4458
Size:  69.9 KB Name:  100_3445.jpg
Views: 4542
Size:  32.8 KBName:  100_3441.jpg
Views: 4479
Size:  147.0 KB
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 PM

me too

I've got the same leak. It took me awhile to figure out where it was coming from. I have noticed that it will only do it if it's cold out and I don't let the truck fully warm up bofore shutting it down. When I would go visit my girlfried I would just drive around town a few miles and shut it back down. It hasn't done it if I drive the truck and let it warm up. Anyways, need to still need to get it fixed by the dealer
Old 11-13-2006, 09:39 PM

Goat,
Thanks for the heads up....

The dealer could not locate,but it has not leaked since it was brought home from it's sleep over at the dealership...

I'll still keep an eye on that hose.....

Prospector
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM

Great pictures 610. That is it exactly. I have not had the leak since I tightened those clamps.

Originally Posted by socal 610
My truck just started leaking I thought trans,but it was alot thinner.Dieseltruckresource + search feature=no trip to the dealer thanks guy's [

Quick Reply: coolant leak