3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem prospector! Keep an eye on it and let us know. Funny how some dealers have trouble finding these kinds of problems.

Originally Posted by Prospector
Goat,
Thanks for the heads up....

The dealer could not locate,but it has not leaked since it was brought home from it's sleep over at the dealership...

I'll still keep an eye on that hose.....

Prospector
Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I just got an 06, and it has started a small drip of coolant from the bell housing.

I also sometimes do short trips, and it has been cool...

I've been having a heck of a time telling where it's coming from, so this thread was great. I'll go check those plugs, and the hose in the AM...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM

I too had the coolant leak from bell housing when truck sit for a while. Mine was the small hose with the two gear clamps on it. Clamps where a little loose.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Chapter President

Do they make a constant pressure clamp (like the ones used to connect the radiator with the large coolant hoses) that fit the size of this small connector hose?
thanks Jamie
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM

I'd assume so. I think there are a couple on my truck, for heater hoses.

Just snugging those clamps down though did the trick, and only took a couple seconds.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM

My 06 also had a coolant leak coming form the heater core hose. Just tightened the clamps ( about 5 turns on each clamp) and the leak went away. My buddys 07 had the same leak. Anybody with an 06 or early 07 should check their clamps.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM

I had the exact same leak. This is my first diesel and saw red..and dripping from the bell housing...I freaked. I didnt know coolant was also red in the diesel lol.

But the dealer took it..and it didnt leak for them. They left it in the garage..that night it leaked at hom outside ( mid winter) It ended up just being a loose clamp.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Chapter President

Is it possible those threaded clamps don't seal properly? This is the second time I've had to tighten mine down and it looks like the rubber is starting to deform a little from being round??? and causing mine to leak.
Jamie
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM

I also wonder if spring loaded clamps would be better...

When mine was leaking, it was mainly dripping when I did a short trip, not fully warm. Maybe being so close to the exhaust/turbo causes things to get pretty hot, and expand and contract more than a typical hose clamp/pipe...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanx to forum members

I just wanted to say thanx to all who posted about the antifreeze leaking from the bell housing! I freaked out when I saw it leaking out of my bell housing and the possibility of a freeze plug on back of the motor under the housing and the ******* telling me it's not covered because I did not change my coolant and this huge bill I don't have the money for made my chest hurt. It's at the ******* now and I hope the mechanic knows what it is.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jmac
Is it possible those threaded clamps don't seal properly? This is the second time I've had to tighten mine down and it looks like the rubber is starting to deform a little from being round??? and causing mine to leak.
Jamie
The worm gear clamps tend to stretch over time from expansion and contraction. This is why they tend to leak only when cold. The pipe expands and stretches the clamp, then the pipe cools and leaks.

This is why they have an update for this problem were the worm gear clamps are replaced with spring clamps.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 AM

Goat!

I tightened the clamps on mine as well however this may be a temporary fix. If it continues to leak, there is a replacement hose that is slightly smaller and new clamps available. coolant leak-upgrade-parts.jpg

coolant leak-upgrade-clamp.jpg
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by chastain308
I tightened the clamps on mine as well however this may be a temporary fix. If it continues to leak, there is a replacement hose that is slightly smaller and new clamps available. Attachment 31988

Attachment 31989
Nice Find on the kit. Not had any issues with mine since I tightened it up. Look like the clamps in the kit are the way to go.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by chastain308
I tightened the clamps on mine as well however this may be a temporary fix. If it continues to leak, there is a replacement hose that is slightly smaller and new clamps available. Attachment 31988

Attachment 31989
A lot of guy's do not like those spring clamps.. I do, they are self adjusting and will tighten up when the hose shrinks.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 PM

The reason the worm gear clamps leak is they get stretched out when they heat up, and then they can't contract when things cool off. I replaced my hose and clamps last summer with the parts above. In fact those pictures above are mine. It has not leaked since.

Quick Reply: coolant leak