3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

computor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
computor replacement

has anybody had to have there computor replaced due to electrical problems. thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 PM

They go bad but pretty darn rare.Lighting strikes can take one out and improper jump starting,weird battery issues etc.But computers themselves usually hold up really well.But they can just fail.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM

i just got the call from the dealer, my ecm is fried, new will be here in 2 days
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Mine was just replaced due to P0606-Internal ECM Processor code. My buddy had one replaced on his '05 but I don't know for sure if it was the ECM or the PCM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 PM

my trannie started down shifting and up shifting on its own at freeway speeds. they found an old code for the throdle position sensor. replace that, flushed the trannie and changed the filter also, because the techs went looking inside the valve body also. this didn't fix the problem. dealership contacted dodge, engineers sent a new wiring harness and controll module. installed that and reprogramed trannie with updated program that didn't fix the problem ether, so engineers recomended changing the computor because that's all thats left. dodge is playing swap the parts with my check book. $4000.00 worth. they have had my truck for 4 weeks now. computor can take 10 days to get because dodge doesn't have any. you can bet japanese truck is looking better and better the longer this goes on.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 PM

My truck was having shift issues a while back too. After 5 trips to the dealer and numerous parts changed, another member on this board told me where to look for my problem cause he had the same thing. A wire harness that connects to the trans under the truck was rubbing against a ground strap and intermittenly shorting out (you could see where it was arching under very close inspection) causing false codes and putting the truck into limp mode sometimes. If I remeber correctly, it was the ground strap from the body to the trans. The wire had a very thin knife like slice in it from the edge of the strap and was very hard to see so look real close. It was difficult for the dealer to find because everything would work fine until that wire shorted and even when it did, it would throw irratic codes or no codes at all. After I cleared the short, no more problems in 40K miles. Take a look, maybe yours is the something similar.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 AM

dodge gave me a new trannie harness because they are having chafing problems due to harness routing. when the company give you something for free it's because they're trying to avoid a recall. my truck has 105,000 miles on it. that didn't fix the problem. the computor didn't accept the reprograming. engineers told dealership to change the computor. it's the only part left to change.