3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold Start RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Start RPM

Several times this winter, as soon as I turn the key, the engine fires and runs right up to 1000rpm without the normal 3-minute wait. Did it in Whitehorse after sitting out all night at -20, but it also did it tonight after sitting outside in +20 temps. Anyone else have this issue? I'm not overly worried at this time as I'm running good synthetic oil, it hasn't sat long enough for a true metal-to-metal start, and it hasn't seemed to hurt anything, but I'd like to hear from anyone else who has the same issues.

Thoughts?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has done it once when I started it in 10 degree weather without letting the grid heaters cycle, usually it only gets to about 30 here and it wont do it. Its normal, just not sure on the temp it has to see to happen.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Its suppose to do that.All 3rd generation truck do.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 AM

Very normal. Don't know about it doing it @ plus 20 temps though.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
Several times this winter, as soon as I turn the key, the engine fires and runs right up to 1000rpm without the normal 3-minute wait. Did it in Whitehorse after sitting out all night at -20, but it also did it tonight after sitting outside in +20 temps. Anyone else have this issue? I'm not overly worried at this time as I'm running good synthetic oil, it hasn't sat long enough for a true metal-to-metal start, and it hasn't seemed to hurt anything, but I'd like to hear from anyone else who has the same issues.

Thoughts?
It's not really an issue. Sometimes it goes right up to 1000 immediately upon cold (sub-freezing) start up, and other times it takes a minute or 2 before it goes up on its own. That is normal, and I'm not sure why. (What's really nice is to have the computer flashed so you can use the cruise buttons to control it on your own!)
Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Mine does it too. It doesn't have to be sub-freezing temps either, it does it often in 20+/- deg weather. I never personally worried about it though, I figured the computer knows what it wants. Sometimes it waits two min. and sometimes it don't. It's automatic and no way to control it, so I'm fine with it. (I have the cruise control button feature, that's seperate.)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Pretty cool feature. My was doing it the other day when it was 38 degrees. Do you have to go to the dealer to have feature of controlling it through the cruise buttons?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one's always been flaky with the high-idle speed, I could never predict what variable would cause it to engage. With my '02, it was really simple: Outside temp below 30F and engine coolant below 140F, high idle engages after three minutes of no driver input (brake or throttle). This one does it sometimes when it's cold, sometimes when it's warm, sometimes when the coolant is at air temp, and yesterday even when the coolant was at 160F. And I've never had it jump right to 1000rpm without a few minutes of warm-up at regular idle-speed. I was mostly worried about the possibility of an ECM problem that might lead to early computer-death, but if others have the issue too, maybe it's not worth worrying about.

I've read about the cruise-control high idle, but isn't that for automatics only?

-ald
Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
This one's always been flaky with the high-idle speed, I could never predict what variable would cause it to engage. With my '02, it was really simple: Outside temp below 30F and engine coolant below 140F, high idle engages after three minutes of no driver input (brake or throttle). This one does it sometimes when it's cold, sometimes when it's warm, sometimes when the coolant is at air temp, and yesterday even when the coolant was at 160F. And I've never had it jump right to 1000rpm without a few minutes of warm-up at regular idle-speed. I was mostly worried about the possibility of an ECM problem that might lead to early computer-death, but if others have the issue too, maybe it's not worth worrying about.

I've read about the cruise-control high idle, but isn't that for automatics only?

-ald
Yes- it is for autos only(sorry). Apparently you can get it to work with the 6 speed as well, but it is a more costly procedure. Also, I consider 20 degrees farenheit "sub- freezing", as water freezes at 32 Farenheit. It will go to hi idle if the truck is not at "operating temp", and it is sub- freezing, or below 32 farenheit. If it is cold out, and the truck sits idle a few minutes, the fast idle will come on again. (Perfectly normal).
Old 01-01-2008, 06:38 PM

All it takes is a jumper wire and 5 minutes to work with a 6 speed.Many posts on the subject.So many its almost boring.Do a SEARCH function and find pages of reading with posts and diagrahams of which pin to jump at te ECM for 6 speed operation.You can also buy a clutch pedal switch through Cummins.Tons of info in archives of this site on it.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Mine does it too...Thank God for 0w40 synthetic.