3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Clutch Shudder

I do know I'll be drivin it a lot less to places I don't want to go when its fixed. That will really be fun.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Banned

mine was in for some paint work (don't ask :'( ) so I went to the rental place all they had was a cube van. So I drove this POS for 2 days. I did appreciate my truck when I got it back.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:53 PM

Report on Clutch/Flywheel Transplant on6/3

Received a call at 2:30p.m. that Almond was ready for me, fast recovery. I have attached a copy of service invoice for your information. Both Shop Foreman and Service Adviser talked with me.

On the service invoice it states, "Contacted STAR and they recommended replacing all clutch components. Replaced clutch, flywheel and bolts. Flywheel had high spots and was warped. Installed new clutch and flywheel. . . Road tested and found to operating properly."

The takeoff both forward and in reverse has never been this SMoooooth!

The Shop foreman said clutch disk was in good condition, lack of excessive wear considering the condition, that I had been easy on the clutch. He then thanked me for giving them an opportunity to diagnose and repair the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

HappytobeDrivingAlmondAgainPhil
Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Now that is some good news. I am still amazed at how little trouble we have had with this new truck. Hope this holds and runs a bunch of good miles for you. Now, hook up and head out. 8) 8)
Old 06-04-2003, 09:51 PM

Phil, did they say you hafta wait another 500 miles or something for break-in before you can pull the trigger and let'r rip? I don't think I could wait that long.<br><br>Chris really wants some 3.55's in the beast. Mid range is awesome, but runs out of breath WAY to soon.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:04 AM

No, bulabula, they didn't give me any special instructions. I won't be towing for two more weeks yet. Logged 50 miles to come home yesterday, and about 125 more today. I have a regular weekly appt with Dr, 100 miles round trip. Probably will have 1000 miles or more on clutch before I tow. <br><br>I am careful not to slip clutch while shifting. Once it is fully engaged there is nothing to break in so speed wouldn't matter. I don''t intend to do any speed shifting. Down shifts should be done only when matching RPMS to avoid slippage. <br><br>It is not like breaking in an engine, gears, or bearings. <br><br>I am amazed that there seems to be more low-end torque at engagement point of clutch. I guess with warped flywheel with high spots, there must have been some slippage resulting in some loss of effective torque to the wheels. 8)
Old 06-06-2003, 07:43 PM
cp

I've always found that clutch engagement on governed engines (diesels) is best with your foot completely off the accelerator. The torque the engine will generate at idle is more than adequate to get you moving. We had an old Freightliner that, though a combination of bad clutch linkage geometry and probably a rough clutch, would nearly throw you out of the cab if you raised the Cat engine above an idle before engaging the clutch.<br><br>I'm bringing this up as advise to prevent a recurrance of your problem. Not saying your technique caused the bad flywheel/clutch, but it certainly will in bigger trucks and I'm not sure the Cummins engine and clutch realizes it's in a pickup.