3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Changing the oil filter - Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the oil filter - Stupid Question

Well I went through a total pain in the **** oil change tonight.

This truck is new to me. Had it a month now. Now with a new APPS, trans Governor solenoid, etc. I finally have all the codes cleared and were running fine.

So because I don't trust the Dealer did the agreed upon service as part of the sale I decided to change the oil and filter plus the fuel filter.

So fast forward to a filter that WILL NOT come off for anything. Ended up taking the fender liner out, and using a jack handle extension on the filter wrench. Finally. Dumb dealer morons. No oil on the gasket at all.

So my question...I am used to a huge filter vrs oil spilling out the filter sealing area and a mess until the system drains out. This was not that way. The filter was only about 75% full once I pulled it down. Did not spill a single drop of oil.

This is normal?

Again new to the world of Cummins.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be full but they really do not make a mess if you lower the filter carefully.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 AM

yeah that's about normal for mine. and part of why they put them on so tight is the extreme vibration. the best tool i can reccomend is a strap wrench that you use with a long extension and ratchet. that will take it off no matter how tight it is and with a long exension you have the ratchet low enough (down by the axle) you can really get good leverage. snapon, mac, matco and cornwell all sell them, idk about sears.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
It should be full but they really do not make a mess if you lower the filter carefully.
Yes, supler clean deal. Nice for a change. Drain plug is very cool as well.

Originally Posted by nkh95
yeah that's about normal for mine. and part of why they put them on so tight is the extreme vibration. the best tool i can reccomend is a strap wrench that you use with a long extension and ratchet. that will take it off no matter how tight it is and with a long exension you have the ratchet low enough (down by the axle) you can really get good leverage. snapon, mac, matco and cornwell all sell them, idk about sears.
Now you have me concerned I did not get the new Baldwin Filter on there tight enough. I went hand tight and then another 1/2 spin with the oil filter wrench. I pre-filled the filter and got a full qt in there before I spun it on.

Easy to do with the fender liner out. LOL. I hope to avoid that in the future.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:40 AM

On your next change get your self a Fleetguard or Baldwin filter. And you can use the fluted cap that hooks to a 3/8 drive ratchet and you never have to worry about it getting stuck. Don't worry about "extreme viberations" you only need to hadn tighten the filter and go about another 3/4 turn and it will not come off.

As far as oil dripping out. As long as you kep the filter straight it wont make a mess.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
On your next change get your self a Fleetguard or Baldwin filter. And you can use the fluted cap that hooks to a 3/8 drive ratchet and you never have to worry about it getting stuck. Don't worry about "extreme viberations" you only need to hadn tighten the filter and go about another 3/4 turn and it will not come off.

As far as oil dripping out. As long as you kep the filter straight it wont make a mess.
I am using Baldwins and will get one of those caps for sure. Sounds like were tight enough. The Napa filter that came off was not fluted.

The oil that came out was like water. Did not smell of Diesel Fuel at all and filled the three gallon containers perfectly. So the injectors are not leaking anyway. I have rolled 3k in miles sense I purchased the truck.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Before relocating my oil filter I used to loosen the oil filter, open filler cap on valve cover then start oil draining. It seemed to draw some additional oil out of the filter so I had less of a chance of spilling oil from filter when removing it.

I had read this process on one of the forums and it did seem to help..

Good Luck with the truck
Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 AM

When I change mine I slip a plastic bag up over the filter after its loose. That way the drips are contained in the bag. Hope this helps

Jim
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Sears has a neat filter tool about $11, has 4 fingers that when you apply pressure they tighten around filter, and you get it from the bottom, best I used yet. Works on about all filter sizes
Don't over tighten oil plug!!!!!
Torque oil plug no more than 37 ft/lbs
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 AM

Fuel Filter Change

This is a great write on fuel filter change 5.9

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't need to tighten the filter any tighter than normal. Go 3/4 turn past touching and you're good.

I use the fluted Fleetguard, but at last fill I picked up a Mopar standard issue unit and the flutes don't match my Fleetguard oil wrench cap. Grrrrrr....
Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM

I take the air filter housing and air inlet tube out and come at from top with a strap wrench and baggie. Since mine is 2WD its too low to get under it.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Ehh don't feel bad first time I did mine it was a pain as well,just used a filter wrench form walmart and a small rubber mallet,we won't get into when I removed it I got oil splashed right into my face

Bigger pain in the rear was and still is the fuel filter removal,least for me.

Pav
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first time is a bear..... I think Dodge either tack welds the filter on or uses an impact wrench to install them.... Wowsa!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dezeldog
When I change mine I slip a plastic bag up over the filter after its loose. That way the drips are contained in the bag. Hope this helps

Jim
Same here. Works great, and no spill. With the Fumoto valve and a 12" section of rubber hose attached, I drain the oil straight into clear, one gallon jugs. Very clean erl change.

Quick Reply: Changing the oil filter - Stupid Question