3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

California Low Sulfur Diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question California Low Sulfur Diesel...

Anybody had any experience with this stuff yet? My buddy said he just got a full tank and now he's half way through it and he's only getting around 15mpg down from 18mpg. Anyone else have this problem? He did do some offroading and it was pretty dusty, so if it's not the fuel we're thinking clogged air filter. He was do for a new one before the dusty trails anyways. Anywho, does the new fuel lower mileage? Thanks in advance?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 PM

I have no real expertese in these matters but, if your buddy has been running California diesel previous to this last fill-up, he's been getting ULSD for quite awhile, now.

So, the fuel should be the same stuff that he's been running for awhile. It's probably a clogged air filter.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buffalo
I have no real expertese in these matters but, if your buddy has been running California diesel previous to this last fill-up, he's been getting ULSD for quite awhile, now.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Actually, that's not correct.

There are many pumps around that have the Black Low Sulfur Diesel, warning that it should not be used in 2007 MY trucks.

About a 5 months ago, a smaller truck stop had the Green ULTRA Low Sulfur Diesel sticker on the pump (the only one I've seen so far).

I've ran fuel from both, I can't hardly tell the difference in power or anything.....other than the price at that ULSD station went higher after the switch.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Smkn600CDT,

In no way am I trying to argue with you.

I got my information from a seminar I attended at May Madness 2005 given by the Las Vegas, NV. Bosch rep.

Basically, he said that all the diesel fuel being refined in CA was ULSD & that some of it did not have enough lubricity in it. He went on to say that they were seeing an abnormal amount of wear in fuel delivery systems that were operating on the new ULSD. His recommendation was to use an additive that gave the fuel more lubricity. He went on to say that many of the Western States were using CA diesel & that we needed to compensate for the lack of lubricity. also.

At May Madness, this year, I asked him if the additives were still needed because he had not mentioned their need in his seminar. He said that Bosch has not noticed any abnormal amount of problems that were lubricity related, indicating that the proper amount of lubricity was, now, being added to the fuel at the refineries.

CA was quite a bit ahead of the curve when it comes to producing & meeting the future 2007 fuel standards.

I, also, have no good explanation for the different pump labeling you have seen.

It's certainly possible that the information I received was inaccurate.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 PM

I thought the local station here in town had started selling ULSD the other day. I pulled up to the pump and there was this big sticker that at first glance I thought was saying that they had swiched to ULSD but after reading it fully it was just telling people with 07 and newer trucks not to run fuel from that pump.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM

new fuel

I was at a fuel class last week, and by jan 1 everyone will be getting the new ULSD it's a federal mandate issued by the EPA ,it sucks , but thats the way it going to be, so get ready for fuel to jump in price and lower in quality. they are already pumping it the pipelines from Texas, heading to the midwest.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM

i saw my first low sulfur sticker today on pump when filling up at SUNOCO station....big letters NOT FOR TRUCKS after 2006. ****....is low sulfur going the way of the leaded gas of lore?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

HTML Code:
Basically, he said that all the diesel fuel being refined in CA was ULSD & that some of it did not have enough lubricity in it
I think that should have been LSD instead of ULSD. Every time I filled in CA last week it was LSD fuel.

I have heard the ULSD phase in has been slightly delayed until October to accomodate the supply lines and getting the distribution figured out.

Local truck stop is starting with a 50/50 mixture now to see if there are any problems.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM

So what diesel do you put in a 07'? And what is the difference in the engine from 06' to 07' that would limit what diesel you put in it.

Are they going to change red off road also
Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 PM

"I have heard the ULSD phase in has been slightly delayed until October to accomodate the supply lines and getting the distribution figured out"

We have ULSD all over the place here in Arizona.