General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Low sulfur diesel and injection pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Low sulfur diesel and injection pumps

Word is that Bosch is telling all its distributors to start gearing up for increased pump failures resulting from the use of low sulfur fuel. This includes p-pumps. Additives are going to become a normal for all of us, soon.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hoping that by the time the low sulfur diesel hits the pumps, I will be in full production of bio. If not, I have a small stockpile of used engine oil ready for my tank
Old 04-09-2006, 07:21 AM

There is an additive package that is being put in the new ultra low sulfur diesel that makes it reverse compatible with all injection systems. No need for extra additives.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by amartinson
There is an additive package that is being put in the new ultra low sulfur diesel that makes it reverse compatible with all injection systems. No need for extra additives.
I agree.
It wouldn't do very good for repeat sales if the fuel left trucks broken down all over place.
The same sort of panic thinking preceded the elimination of lead in gasoline, it never panned out.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by oestreich84
I am hoping that by the time the low sulfur diesel hits the pumps, I will be in full production of bio. If not, I have a small stockpile of used engine oil ready for my tank
It's already here in So. Cal.
Mike
###
Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by amartinson
That's what Chevron says on their site. There are several diesel fuel properties other than sulfur that will change as a result of moving to S15 (ULSD).

Lubricity:
Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear.The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.
The D975 specification is based on the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) and requires a wear scar no larger than 520 microns.

Energy Content:
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal).
The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.

Cetane Number:
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15ppm also reduces the aromatics content resulting in an increase to the cetane number.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bekim
It's already here in So. Cal.
Mike
###
No matter, it'll soon be the capital of Aztlan anyway
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
No matter, it'll soon be the capital of Aztlan anyway
You sure it won't be Dallas?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM

520 micrometers is still rather high. The spec in europe is around 400 micrometers. Bosch has a report out showing wear ar 400 and at ~700. The difference is amazing. I will keep running addatives!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:46 PM

There is a lot more to this than can be posted here. Much misformation is happening and just because ASTM adopts does not mean all agree with it being the correct standard. This happens to be one of them. Depending on hydrocracking and post treating fuel content can and will be all over the map.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Silverjay
520 micrometers is still rather high. The spec in europe is around 400 micrometers. Bosch has a report out showing wear ar 400 and at ~700. The difference is amazing. I will keep running addatives!
What? This is the number they've been using for years! The ASTM International is a world wide standard setting organization, not an American controlled puppet lab.
Mike
###
http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart...html?E+mystore
For those interested this is a link to the scuff test specified ASTM D-6078
http://www.pcs-instruments.com/abssl/abssl_home.shtml
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by AaronT
There is a lot more to this than can be posted here. Much misformation is happening and just because ASTM adopts does not mean all agree with it being the correct standard. This happens to be one of them. Depending on hydrocracking and post treating fuel content can and will be all over the map.
That is why they established the ASTM "standard", so refiners would all be using the same baseline level of lubricity additive. The standard we're looking at is post production testing.(finished product)
Mike
###
Old 04-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Personally, I run MMO every tank, and will continue to do so. Nevertheless, the industry is aware of the lubricity issue and has addressed it.
Mike
###

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...sel/ulsd.shtml
Read up. It's interesting stuff, this I promise!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by bekim
What? This is the number they've been using for years! The ASTM International is a world wide standard setting organization, not an American controlled puppet lab.
Mike
###
http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart...html?E+mystore
For those interested this is a link to the scuff test specified ASTM D-6078
http://www.pcs-instruments.com/abssl/abssl_home.shtml

Contrary to popular belief the entire world does not follow US standards. The spec in Europe is EN 590 and specifies a maximum of 460 micrometers. The report I was referencing is here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline...22003bosch.pdf
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 AM

Power Service is supposed to be introducing a new additive especially designed for low sulfer diesel.

Bosch is experimenting with Bio-diesel and isn't to excited about it because of the amount of moisture bio can contain. They are also testing fuel filters for the common rail system and it looks like the injectors living much better with fuel filtered at the 2 micron level, but this is old news for many astute 3rd gen owners.

Quick Reply: Low sulfur diesel and injection pumps