3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to run my defrost or heater on recirc...

I prefer having fresh air coming into the cab. If I forget to open it up after a while, the cab is filled with CO2 since it's just recirc-ing the same old air that we're exhaling. Makes me sleepy after a while!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Burned Diesel Wreak at slow speed and idling in cab.

Have all the fresh air you want but before you stop put her to recirculate.....only way to stop it for now...until DC comes up with something .....I can't believe they are meesing with this
Old 12-23-2003, 07:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey Scotty, how about giving me a Christmas present? Every time I see the title to this thread it bugs me no end. The reason? The spelling of the word 'wreak'. The word wreak means to inflict or exact vengence. To give free expression to anger, hatred etc.
The word you need in the title is 'reek'. Please, please change it. Stop wreaking vengence on me. ;D
Thank you.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 PM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=20;threadid=22130;start=75#msg228435 date=1072229255]
Hey Scotty, how about giving me a Christmas present? Every time I see the title to this thread it bugs me no end. The reason? The spelling of the word 'wreak'. The word wreak means to inflict or exact vengence. To give free expression to anger, hatred etc.
The word you need in the title is 'reek'. Please, please change it. Stop wreaking vengence on me. ;D
Thank you.
[/quote]And a "tip of the hat" to Mexstan! Thank you, Stan! You're not alone. I'm thinkin' Stan deserves that Christmas present.

Maybe we can get gassers for all those other folks so we can put this thread to rest.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re:Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.

Yeah I guess I never read the definiton.
I recall wreaking havoc a few times.
It was never intended to offend, bother or irritate anyone.
I'll bite my tongue for now.

You can change the title of it in your own posts if you choose to.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:57 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

Scotty, mucho gracias. You are a scholar and a gentleman.
(Wonder why I feel that that Scotty is biding his time to wreak vengence on me?)
Old 12-23-2003, 09:17 PM

HAIRY, AM I TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR DEFROSTER RUNS IN RECIRC, AND TO THOSE WHO WORRY ABOUT ELEVATED CO2 FROM EXHALED AIR, I AM WORRYING ABOUT BRINGING IN FUMES THAT INCLUED CARBON MONOXIDE AND BENZENE WHICH IS MUCH MUCH WORSE. I SAT IN BUMPER TO BUMPER TRAFFIC FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF AT THE WASHINGTON DALLAS GAME LAST WEEK IN THE SNOW AND RAIN, AND "WREAKED" OF DIESEL FUMES WHEN I GOT OUT. HAD TO KEEP WORKING WITH THE CONTROLS, GOT TO BE AN ANSWER SOMEWHERE, BY THE WAY EVERYONE I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS SITE. IT IS TRULY WONDERFUL.... KUDOS
Old 12-23-2003, 10:56 PM

Defrost is not recirculate......and stinks...........

Thread is getting old?
How come then from across the USA all the big diesel truckers have not solved this problem....My truck is put up for the winter won't run till I head for Florida....so I can't really take it to a dealer.......and if I did I would get the same answer as the rest of you.....? Once in FL. I will seek the answer to it, once and for all......I will stay on them......like Ripley...beleive it or not
Old 12-24-2003, 05:10 AM

[quote author=Hairy1 link=board=20;threadid=22130;start=75#msg228523 date=1072241799]How come then from across the USA all the big diesel truckers have not solved this problem....
[/quote]I thought this was a 3rd gen Dodge Ram CTD issue and not a generic USA wide diesel truck problem.

I didn't realize just how serious your problem is. I was mistakenly thinking that it was a diesel stink that you guys were describing, much like mine does with fresh engine oil in it. Asphyxiation is serious business and nothing to toy with. Have you taken any CO readings in the cab when discussing this with the dealer or Daimler Chrysler?

I hope you guys get it sorted out and fixed - you have too; I'd be concerned that the NTSB will take our trucks off the road if it isn't fixed. Keep a window cracked til you solve it. I'll stay out of this one from now on.

Chris
Old 12-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
More on this wr...err reek.

On the evening of Dec 23rd we took a ride thru the Festival of Lights. Its a ride I can do mostly at idle in first. It takes about 20 min.
I had my defrost on for about 5 min and dang it was nasty. Ran on recirc the rest of the way with the window cracked open...no problemo.

As soon as I can I am going to stir it up some with DC in regards to how toxic this is getting.
I was in the shop on the 22nd and ran out of time to get to this issue. I did get my MOPAR folding hard top installed though.

Next thing is duct tape in the cowl to seal off engine leaks.

Then its the gasket on the turbo when I install the [censored's]

Old 12-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Have 12,000miles on mine and never smelled anything, build date 6-03
Old 01-01-2004, 01:01 PM

I have seen inexpensice CO monitors for sale. Clip-on badge type.

Aviation supply store have them, as do RV places. If it were me, I would check it out before too long.

Carbon Monoxide has no odor and it accumulates in the bloodstream. You could have no problems for a long time and then one day a mild exposure and suffer the same symptoms as a high concentration exposure.

My appolgies if this was already discussed, I just jumped to the last page. Big Thread...
Old 01-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Most Fire Dept. have this capability to test you.........stop by and ask them? All they would do is ride around the block..........they are small portable detectors our dept. uses them all the time