3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re:Burned Diesel Wreak at slow speed and idling in cab.

Mine is not crankcase...I changed the oil and I have the oil on the dipstick just a bit under full in the safe hash marks on the stick. Smell is still BAD. I tried running the engine with no oil and the exhaust smell was still there. : Just kidding. :P
Therefore, the next mission is to tape up those inlets today!
Its bad enough for someone like me that is around diesel fumes often to be bothered by it lots. Its so overwhelming to my passengers that they do not want to ride in the truck anymore...which is not really a bad thing.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, I didn't realize it was THAT bad Scotty. Why not take it to the dealer and make them fix it?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to pipe in that I still get the smell, not as bad, but a clear new car smell buzz buster. Not my oil, checked it, checked it again like Santa Clause, and changed it.

Reminds me of my college days of delivering furniture and the old Iveco in the morning. Think I may add cedar to the bed just to get the whole cold morning, diesel fumes and cedar smell that I remember so fondly.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:07 PM

I have the same smell in my 'ol ladies 89 Chrysler V6 with a million miles on it, burns oil due to the valve guides are history, but it still runs great.........stinks a little when ya stop....
Old 12-10-2003, 03:48 PM

Just did my first oil change using Delvac 1 and purposely went one quart short to see if that made a difference in the smell. Sorry to report :'( it didn't work.

Might take a peek at the open vent holes that someone mentioned that are under the cowling ???

Ron W.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:03 PM

Hey , just a thought. How about cedar chips on the floor of the cab and a coupla boxes of arm and hammer on yer dash. Should take care of it. Just kidding. ;D ;D
Old 12-10-2003, 08:08 PM

Yeah or maybe just take off our boots
Old 12-10-2003, 10:30 PM

Its the Crank case fumes, coming from the breathing tube getting sucked into the ventilation intake......Cummins makes a filter that goes on the end of the tube (for about $250.) that catches drips and vapors...I wonder if you complained enough that the dealer will pay too get that put on
Old 12-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine is not crankcase...

I called the dealer, they have had complaints and said that DC is supposed to get back to them with either a tsb or resolve. Probably in a few yrs. :
There is no reason to leave my truck there for something that they are trying to resolve otherwise.
I will tend to this on my own. ;D
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 AM

The large interstate plow truck I drove almost killed me one night........exhaust leak at the turbo..............I wouldn't take a nap in one of these for sure

Keep us posted Scotty
Old 12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Banned

mine seems to be getting worse...

And it's definately diesel exhaust, NOT any oil smell. It only get into the ventilation system when I'm stopped, so somewhere there's gas in the engine compartment that gets vented away when moving. I'm planning on making an appointment with my dealer to at least get it on the record, if they don't have a fix for it yet.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 AM

I have an '03 2500 4x4 HO A/T with 4k miles bought it in July. Never had this "sour" burned diesel smell. Yesterday I had my first oil change for free at my Dodge dealer. Picked it up and drove 5 miles home. While idleing in my driveway wham I got a whiff of that smell. I checked the dip stick and it is higher, not by much, of the max fill. My friend had this same smell from brand new, thats why I know it is the same sour smell, but never ever on mine until this first oil change. So go figure. I think it is the breather with an overfill of oil but I wouldn't bet my paycheck. Just for your info.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:04 AM

I saw this on another post and can't find it now...but the problem apparently is that fumes from the engine compartment are getting sucked into the air intake (under the wipers) and into the passenger compartment. To check this theory out, stand in front of running truck, hood closed, with a can of air freshner, have someone sit in the cab, spray the air freshner directly into the the front grill area and see if the person in the cab can smell it! If so, you know the stuff is coming through the vents. The apparent fix is to remove the wipers, remove the plastic guard, remove the air intake box. THere's three holes at the bottom of it, one has a rubber 1-way check grommet in it to let water out. THe other two are wide open. So, place tape over the open two holes, along with two plastic pieces that you can cut out of coffee can lids. Reinstall the box, cowling, wiper blades, and then try spraying the air freshner test again...
I haven't done it yet. Going to look into this weekend...

YIPPIE FOUND THE LINK: http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...576;p=1#000000
Old 12-23-2003, 11:56 AM

I SPENT THREE HOURS AT MY DEALERSHIP YESTERDAY TRYING TO GET THIS RESOLVED. THEY ARE GONNA GET BACK WITH ME AFTER THE HOLIDAYS, TALKED ABOUT NEEDING SOME SPECIAL TOOL TO INJECT SOMETHING SOMEWHERE, STILL SEEMS TO ME THAT IF WE COULD RUN THE DEFROSTER ON RECIRC THAT SINCE THE AIR WOULD BE DRAWN FROM INSIDE THE CAB, WE WOULD NOT SMELL THE FUMES FROM THE OUTSIDE. WILL POST WHEN THEY TRY THIS FIX
Old 12-23-2003, 03:08 PM

Stay on them ...let us know!

Quick Reply: Burned Diesel Smell at slow speed and idling in cab.