3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

block heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
block heater problem

Just got done fiddling with the block heater on my new truck. <br><br>When I plug it in, the GFCI in the garage trips. I tried blowing any possible water out the prongs on the plugs with the air compressor, tried two different extension cords, checked the GFCI with a tester. Still does it. :'(<br><br>Anybody experience this little problem?<br><br>Not going to get cold enough to *need* the block heater, I just wanted to use the thing. Highly annoying, cause it worked about a week ago.<br><br>I just got some propaganda from DC a few days ago that stated something like &quot;we want to provide you an exciting ownership experience&quot;. I don't want an exciting ownership experience, I want a really boring experience. Hope this isn't the start. <br><br>TIA<br>Mike in Arkansas
Old 01-02-2003, 07:38 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:block heater problem

Mike,<br>Don't know if it applies or not. Post Engineers was installing GFI's in all the buildings some time back. My computers and test equipment went crazy when pluged into the circuit. After removing the GFI's, everything went back to normal. I haven't checked it out but I think it has to do with the ground circuit of the piece of equipment. The block heater is nothing more than a heating element, like in a hot water heater/coffee pot. It may be in the way the ground is connected. It's possible that the ground and neutral are tied together.<br>Just a though.<br><br>shortround out
Old 01-02-2003, 11:05 AM

I would try different extension cords. I have several heavy duty cords which I plug into GFCIs outside. One cord would alwalys trip the GFCI over-night. I finally cut the molded plug off and replaced it. Havn't had a problem since. Molded plugs are frequently the problem. GFCIs can also be a problem. Almost one-fourth come from the factory unable to perform as they should.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:16 PM

Just a thought, but if you're not needing it then why would you want to line the electricty companies bank account? [undecided] But in answer to your question, I agree with Sierra Phil, GCFI's are finnicky at the best of times (at least up here!) Now, I'll give myself a little slap cuz the other day I didn't plug in and woke up to -17C (1.4F) and she turned over no problem. :-[ I like this truck! ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 10:35 AM

I had that problem with our Ambulance a while back. The temp solution was to use a 2 prong extension cord instead of the 3 prong grounded type and the GFI was a lot happier. Just be careful if you do this around water as you do have the potential to zap yourself. <br>Jeff
Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 PM

Yank that GFI. Its a politically correct outlet. I had (I say, Had) my freezer at my house plugged into one, and it tripped one day, and I found out about it a few days later (out in the shed).<br><br>I am really impressed with the block heater. We had what I'd call a bee-zar snow fall here in Texas last Sunday. It snowed about 3&quot;, just light fluffy stuff. I plugged in my extension cord on a timer set to go off at 4am.<br><br>I go out at 6am to the truck, and all the snow is gone from the hood. I felt the engine, and it wasn't like super hot, but more like luke warm. Outside temp was +29F. Fired up like a summer day.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also was tripping the GFI so I tried another extension cord. haven't plugged it in since, but if it happens again I'll change the receptacle.<br><br>Mike