3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blo by Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blo by Turbo??

ok I have copied this from another thread

The hone job should work fine, as long as the cylinder is in otherwise good shape. Check the condition of the rod, and replace the valve seat and valve, or the head if required, piston, rings and rod bearing shells in that hole.

Excessive blowby can be caused by a bad compressor seal, and/or excessive shaft play in the turbo. It lets compressed air into the oil return, and shows up as blow-by gases. To the point I have seen engine oil coming out of the vent tube full stream on some larger engines. There are people who will tell you it isn't possible, I am here to tell you it is.

Good luck with the rebuild man, engine trouble sucks

On edit, turbo radial play is normal when there is no oil pressure present, but axial play ( in and out) is a BAD thing. That is when the wheels start hitting the housings, and it really goes downhill from there. In and out play is a sign of a bad thrust bearing in the turbo, a small amount of radial ( up and down ) is normal when not running, due to pressurized oil being used as a liquid "bearing" as such

ok so my question is if I remove the intake horn. If it was a turbo issue I am having. Without pressure would my blow by stop? It has gotten to the point its blowing out the crank case breather and now front cover is leaking. Its gone from no pressure a month ago to being able blow dry my hair.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Let engine idle and pull off oil cap and feel the air escaping. The turbo won't be spinning so any blow by is coming past the pistons and not the turbo. Plus, blow by from pistons will have a slight pulsation to it.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need the correct tools......not speculate. Make an injector replacement for applying compressed air. Bring each cylinder to TDC and listen for leaks in the intake tract, the exhaust pipe or the crankcase through the oil fill cap. Then you will know for sure.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Let engine idle and pull off oil cap and feel the air escaping. The turbo won't be spinning so any blow by is coming past the pistons and not the turbo. Plus, blow by from pistons will have a slight pulsation to it.
My turbo had blow by from the exhaust side into the oil return so I had lots of blow by out the oil cap even at idle.

Disconnecting the intake wouldn't make a difference in this case either.

What tipped me off was the massive amount of play the turbine had as well as high EGTs, low boost, low power.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the way you are setup you have have pistons that are crystallized from heat and broke top rings, the tops of some pistons will be missing parts around the edge, a compression test will verify this but i am so sure of it i think you should just pull the head and see if the block is worth rebuilding, the broke rings causes deep scars in the walls, the oversize pistons come in 0.5MM and 1MM once you get it fixed take it back to stock and get a smarty jr