3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Big rig tires and fuel milage

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big rig tires and Fuel milage

I know I am probably boring some of you guys with fuel milage questions but in the hauling business we live by that and keeping cost low. I have talked to a few people on the road and here all sorts of stories. I want to know from the guys that have the set up first hand what milage they are getting.

If all things are equal with gear ratio and tranny what will get better milage a stock size tire vs a big rig size tire like the 19.5 or 22.5? I like the life of the larger tire but I am just trying to see if it is worth the cost difference and if I will pick up anything in milage.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 PM

Well if you manage to adjust the gear ratios so that rollout between the two is equal, I'd say the bigger wheels would roll better. The will ultimate need to spin slower to go the same speed. They also roll over stuff easier.. bumps, curbs, pedestrians, Miatas, etc...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 AM

I love my setup. I gained around 2 mpg on long drives with very little stop and go traffic. But, around town it looks like I loose about 1 to 2 mpg due to the weight of the wheels and tires. So, all together my average has stayed the same as it did with the stock setup. I average around 18.5 to 19.1 mpg.

So, if you can keep the wheels rolling the bigger wheel and tire setup will help with mpg. But, mostly the greatest advantage is the tire life and looks. I personaly don't think I would buy the setup just to try to gain mpg. It pretty much all depends on your day to day driving habits if I would buy them or not. Hope I helped.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Performance
I love my setup. I gained around 2 mpg on long drives with very little stop and go traffic. But, around town it looks like I loose about 1 to 2 mpg due to the weight of the wheels and tires. So, all together my average has stayed the same as it did with the stock setup. I average around 18.5 to 19.1 mpg.

So, if you can keep the wheels rolling the bigger wheel and tire setup will help with mpg. But, mostly the greatest advantage is the tire life and looks. I personaly don't think I would buy the setup just to try to gain mpg. It pretty much all depends on your day to day driving habits if I would buy them or not. Hope I helped.

Well with my business I do a lot of hiway driving. When I am pushing hard it is nothing to do an 800-1000 mile days. I did like the fact of tire life that was a huge deal for me as well. I would like the fuel milage gain but I am not sure if it is worth the investment cost of the larger tires and wheels. What did your setup cost turn key? Thanks for the help
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by RacenutSB
Well if you manage to adjust the gear ratios so that rollout between the two is equal, I'd say the bigger wheels would roll better. The will ultimate need to spin slower to go the same speed. They also roll over stuff easier.. bumps, curbs, pedestrians, Miatas, etc...

Miatas now that is just funny!!

Thanks for the info. What if I ran stock 3.73 gears and ran with the gear vendors under/overdrive with the larger tires do you that would pick up anything for the positive?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Road Traveler
Well with my business I do a lot of hiway driving. When I am pushing hard it is nothing to do an 800-1000 mile days. I did like the fact of tire life that was a huge deal for me as well. I would like the fuel milage gain but I am not sure if it is worth the investment cost of the larger tires and wheels. What did your setup cost turn key? Thanks for the help
At the time my setup costed $3,799.99 with everything. Depending on where you live the shipping rates vary. It was $400 for me to have them shipped. So, it ended up being $4199.99 shipped to my door.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Performance
At the time my setup costed $3,799.99 with everything. Depending on where you live the shipping rates vary. It was $400 for me to have them shipped. So, it ended up being $4199.99 shipped to my door.

Ok thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM

what kind of tires you runnin now? i run firestone transforce h/t and get about 65k out of them if i rotate every 10k.i've had 3 sets and never had a blowout,and i run them down past the wear bars(they wear nice and even).
now back to the subject,i can get 4 sets = 260,000 miles for the same price as 22.5s,i like the look but can't get myself to spend that kind of money on my work otr truck that goes down the road fine without them.theres also the ride quality,and how much more damage will be done when they blow.just my .02
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too haul commercially and there really is no way that the investment in 19.5's will pay for itself. The initial cost, higher tire cost, are just not worth the extra tire life. The only reason I can see changing is from a safety aspect if you are towing really heavy, but from the amount of miles you have I am going to bet you haul rv's so the weight is not really an issue. BTW 22.5 weigh a ton and most people tend to see a loss in fuel economy.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 AM

plus more of a hassle to change on the side of the road,and the $4000 isn't getting you a spare,and i would guess the spare won't fit underneath
Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 AM

just noticed there are 2 of these threads the same
Old 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM

somebody needs to combine these 2 threads
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
I too haul commercially and there really is no way that the investment in 19.5's will pay for itself. The initial cost, higher tire cost, are just not worth the extra tire life. The only reason I can see changing is from a safety aspect if you are towing really heavy, but from the amount of miles you have I am going to bet you haul rv's so the weight is not really an issue. BTW 22.5 weigh a ton and most people tend to see a loss in fuel economy.
I don't haul RV's, I am one of the crazy 4 car haulers. Even with that, I don't have a lot of weight other than just pulling weight. Thanks for the info. and I appreciate the help.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by scootertrash35
what kind of tires you runnin now? i run firestone transforce h/t and get about 65k out of them if i rotate every 10k.i've had 3 sets and never had a blowout,and i run them down past the wear bars(they wear nice and even).
now back to the subject,i can get 4 sets = 260,000 miles for the same price as 22.5s,i like the look but can't get myself to spend that kind of money on my work otr truck that goes down the road fine without them.theres also the ride quality,and how much more damage will be done when they blow.just my .02
As for the current tires that I run, I have been extremely lucky running the Generals. I rotate about every 7-10K faithfully. The wear pretty even as well and when I run them past the wear bars, I can honestly get 105K out of them. I check my air pressure at every other fuel stop just to confirm everything is always right. Most of the time I keep them about 5-10 lbs overinflated (this is an old truck driving trick) I did try one set of Goodyears and only got about 50K out of them. I talk to several other haulers that said the same thing that it was the junkiest tire they have every used.

Have you heard anything positive about the new Nittos?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM

i only got 60k out of both sets of stock General Ameritracs
you got 105k ???????????????

Quick Reply: Big rig tires and fuel milage