3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Automatic Tranny Stall Speed RPM....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Tranny Stall Speed RPM....

On Takeoff?

My ragly pos 06 Mega Cab 3.73, auto, 34000miles....
On takeoff, light throttle, jumps up to at least 1700 RPM. It really seems to be struggling to go... when the converter locks up, the motor gets quiet and it really seems like it putting forth less effort to get going. Out of lock up...**** the engine has gotten loud. Maybe it's just me, it was a lot quieter when new, but know it seems to be struggling just to go.
It's like driving a CVT Transmission, the rpm never changes accelerating till it hits lockup. RPM just jumps up to 1700 and stays there. You can heavy foot it and the rpm goes above the stall speed and it works like a normal operating vehicle... but then the mileage goes to chit. Transmission seems to be shifting right, doesn't slip. etc....

The torque is supposedly highest around 1500 rpm, has anyone tried a lower stall speed converter? Do you think it would help?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Install a mystery switch.

Nick
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock torque converters in our trucks are junk. I know. I have one. TMan, mine does the same thing as you descibed about yours. I am pushing some pretty good power thru mine too, and towing....and it has never let me down. But it is frustrating.

If you are able to spend the money and get an aftermarket Valve Body and Torque Converter, you will love yours trans much much more. Or so I hear.

I am getting mine totally built with billet shafts etc.....so I have been holding out on replacing the tq converter until then.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Mine used to be the same way, not anymore though. Dodge made the TC that way to keep us from tearing the tranny up, but it makes it very inefficient at putting power to the ground.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
HOV

The stock TC is a good match for stock power. If you get a tighter TC installed with stock power, you will be amazed at how much your truck lags off the line. You will then need to drive around the limitations of your TC.

The stock TC allows for boost to build a little, and to get heavy loads moving from a dead stop. Once you go the route of upgrading the TC, plan on putting some power adders on.

Of course, once you have a built trans and some power adders, you'd never want to go back to stock. But IMO it's either all or nothing. Stock power is great and works fine with the stock drivetrain. Don't fall victim to the hype about how lousy the trans is. It's a stout trans and is well-suited to the task of moving the truck around in stock form.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stall is 2200 on the stock TC and its pretty easy to flash it over that. In other words its pretty sloppy out of lockup.

Stall speed is not the problem though, its the lousy TQ multiplication that makes it so mushy. Changing to a a good TC that has been designed to handle the TQ will make a huge difference. Not all TC's are created equal so you need to be a little careful or you end up with the situation the previous poster described, laggy off the line.

Do a LOT of research before you buy and talk to the custom TC builders about what you want and you will be amazed at the difference when it is setup correctly.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Anything above 1600 RPM stall is killing TC and possiblly the tranny also.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
The stock TC is a good match for stock power. If you get a tighter TC installed with stock power, you will be amazed at how much your truck lags off the line. You will then need to drive around the limitations of your TC.

The stock TC allows for boost to build a little, and to get heavy loads moving from a dead stop. Once you go the route of upgrading the TC, plan on putting some power adders on.

Of course, once you have a built trans and some power adders, you'd never want to go back to stock. But IMO it's either all or nothing. Stock power is great and works fine with the stock drivetrain. Don't fall victim to the hype about how lousy the trans is. It's a stout trans and is well-suited to the task of moving the truck around in stock form.
I disagree, even when I put mine on stock power mode, I have no problems with lag. Maybe thats attributed to the TC being better matched to the engine on my Goerend build, VS your DTT I dont know.(no I'm not bashing your tranny just an observation).
Changing out the stock TC was the best thing I have done for my truck. With the price of a TC and valvebody being 2/3 the cost of a whole transmission I went with a whole new setup, and warranty.