3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Any1 else's truck idle like crap??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any1 else's truck idle like crap??

I have a 2004.5 ram diesel(signature below). In canada where i live in winter it normally sounded like crap because when it was cold enough from factory the idle would go from 750 rpm to 1000 and i think 3 cylinder high idle would then be on right? Or do they always idle on 3 cylinders? Anyways temps are warmer here now and the automatic idle isnt coming on which is good because its warm but even at 750 rpm now it seems to sound like crap. I will post video later with sound clip.

It maybe sounds like this because its got no cat or muffler just a aero4040. Maybe thats why now because its louder and you can hear every little noise.??Also every few seconds it seems to have a slight miss or cutout. I dont know if its the defroster(ac compressor) cutting in/out because i usually have heater on defrost. Any1 else notice this? I run amsoil diesel concentrate sometimes or power services stuff?Is it my injectors?

My LP pressure is at 8 psi idling and 7-8 psi driving. My rail pressure is between 6-7000 psi idling.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 AM

yep mine did before the injectors starting failing. after i put new tips on the truck idle better than it did when it was brand new. the first go around i put 2 new injectors for the ones that failed and 6 new tips. now i have a starting issue but that is just because the 03 injectors are nothing short of garbage.

danny
Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 AM

thanks. maybe mine are going to. does a person neccessarily have to go with new injectors assembly or just he tip?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Only issue I've ever had was when starting the truck (like 4 times now) it would sound like it had a huge cam in it. Sound really rough (again like a big camed car) and I'd shut it off, and it would fire up again no problem. Almost like the crank sensor was off a tooth? Sometimes it cleans out.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM

depends on what is going on if the tips are durty then you can just replace the tips and get away with it but if the bodies of the injector is cracked then you will have to replace the injector. if the injector is bad then you will either see grey smoke at idle or it will pump fuel into the crank case which will cause your oil level to go up. if i were you i would do it right the first time and send your injectors to don at F1 and have him rebuild and put new tips on all 6 injectors. then you know that you are in the good or atleast have them tested somewhere on a bench test machine.

danny
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM

I had same issue "gasser with racing came" "lope" "rough idle", changed out injectors and now it runs like its suppose to! I blame it on the Diablo programmer, running stock programme now and all is well!! I put a bullet into the Diablo and have ordered a Smarty jr. (not looking for big power) should get it by the time I get out of the bush for days off.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM

My truck idles really funky, and sounds like it is missing. It only does this though when the grid heaters are on. Once they shut off it sounds fine and idles smooth. Does yours get better after the grid heaters shut down?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 AM

actually yes a little bit. when engine is warmer it idles better. could it be because i run my edge on level 1 all the time?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you've been having issues with your Edge right? Overheating egts? Rough idle, I'd say your injectors are causing some trouble....
Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dwitt0187
yep mine did before the injectors starting failing. after i put new tips on the truck idle better than it did when it was brand new. the first go around i put 2 new injectors for the ones that failed and 6 new tips. now i have a starting issue but that is just because the 03 injectors are nothing short of garbage.

danny
while the flux tips are a big step up from stock, most of the injector problems cummins/bosch is seeing, are from needle side loading and ball seat erosion. if you want to read more about it, see my post 'injector answers'.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:27 PM

3rd generation trucks do not have 3 cyl cold idle.What part number injectors have the improved ball/seats? How do you know when you buy a set if their the latest and greatest?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
3rd generation trucks do not have 3 cyl cold idle.What part number injectors have the improved ball/seats? How do you know when you buy a set if their the latest and greatest?
the implementation dates are 12/1/06, so i would assume that means that any manufactured after that date have the C2.1 bosch coating, and the hard chrome in the ball seat area. i don't know if these injectors have a different part number, but sometimes the revised part will have a different 2 letter code at the end of the part number (sometimes the letters 'AB').
Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM

So only 07s have a updated injector.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
So only 07s have a updated injector.
since many '07's were actually built in '06, i would assume that many '07's don't have the updated injectors either. unless you have your injectors replaced, i don't think there's any way you can be sure.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM

They updated them but only for a replacement issue as the 6.7 I'm sure has a DIFFERANT type injector.So If I buy new ones for my 03 I need to know if its OLD inventory or real new.I'm sure that Dodge isn't going to offer to update any of the shorter lived ones in these trucks.

Quick Reply: Any1 else's truck idle like crap??