3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Any new info on the 48RE

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any new info on the 48RE

Has anyone heard any new info on the 48RE tranney? Like when it will be offered and can or will it compete with the new Ford Torqueshift tranney.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 PM
RLS

Re:Any new info on the 48RE

From what I have seen and read the 48RE is a 47RE that can handle the H.O.. The gear ratio is the same on both Trans. (4 speed). I do not think is anything outstanding unless you want an auto behind an H.O.. I will order the 6 speed.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:43 PM

Nothing official so far. There are many contradictory rumors so far. Even date of introduction is widely speculated. It could be a pleasant suprise to all. ???
Old 11-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a rumor that the 48RE might be a Benz tranny, but that's pure speculation.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:16 PM

:P Discussion with my potential dealer indicated the 48 was a beefed up 47 with the same problem of "YOU CAN'T USE AN EXHAUST BRAKE" with a Dodge automatic, at least without spending some dough to make it work. I had hoped the 48 would be brake capable as my wife really wanted an automatic. As it is, I'll get the HO and 6-speed and promise the next car will be an automatic, which we havn't had since 1973.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:55 PM

Over two years ago D-C engineering gave an interview to an RV editor. At that time D-C's goal was a tranny which would work with an exhaust brake. I read a brief report of D-C's plans in this area. They realize that a large segment of the 5er owners use the Cummins with an automatic. It was their intention to increase their stable of options. I don't think dealers have an inside track on products under development. <br><br>After all, they are the ones with the &quot;New Hemi-Diesel with 8 spark plugs&quot;.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:12 PM

Hey now sierra Phil, all dealers are not that stupid
Old 11-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

They need a decent automatic this time. If they don't come out with something that can compete with a crew cab, and a decent 5 spd auto, then I think they're going to be in trouble. <br><br>I just cannot fathom why they have not entered back into the cc market. I don't get it. They cannot be that stupid, can they?
Old 11-11-2002, 01:35 PM

Not all Dealers, Luke. When they tolerate stupid employeessaying stupid things, they must accept some responsibility. After all you know &quot;where the buck stops&quot;. <br><br>Anyway I've been defending dealers over not checking differential fluid levels on Pre-Delivery Inspection as visual inspection is for rear axle leaks only. Vehicles must come off assembly line with proper lubricant levels as they are driven before reaching the Dealer. Dealer topping-off fluids doesn't help in cases where damage has alreadly been. It's like &quot;closing the barn door after the horse got out&quot;. <br><br>Good to hear from you, Luke, that you are alive and well.<br><br>The fact that D-C has delayed any announcement on the 48RE is a good sign. The interview I read indicated they were intending to bring out the 48RE sometime during the 2002 model year. Obviously that target date was missed. <br> :'(
Old 11-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sierra,<br><br>You are killing me, friend. Quit posting those kind of pics, all hooked up, in the hills enjoying life. Please don't do that - - until I can get mine sprayed, hitch installed, controller in and be somewhere also. Then, we can compete for purdiest place. Of course, pretty is in the eyes of the beholder. Is beach pretty? Or huge old oak trees with spanish moss with alligators sleeping under them - - is that pretty? That is what is close to me. You - - well, you have them little hills to your east with snow, streams, pastures between snow covered peaks. Shut up Bob, or you will heading west sooner than planned. <br><br>Like the rig. Love the color - - wish they would have shipped the dually in that Almond. The White Ghost is pretty nice, though. Now, if they would only get some clothes for it - - still naked and no one coming to the rescue. Need the body color glass running boards for a dually. Where??????<br><br>JealousBob
Old 11-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Jack,<br><br>Among the many rumors we have heard about the 48RE, my mechanic has been to school for MB truck trannies. He feels the 48RE may be a MB tranny or a hybrid. The word he heard under the table was a five speed stock, with the sixth gear in there but not available. The additional gear could be quickly added as an upgrade on later models with minor changes. I guess MB has an excellent six speed unit capable of handling an exhaust brake and some monster torque. Possibly the early reports of the Ferd unit is driving them to reconsider their position of a simple upgrade of the 47.<br><br>I sure love my six speed manual. Very slick, great ratios. Can't wait to hook up and try it.<br><br>Bob
Old 11-11-2002, 09:44 PM
RLS

48RE is a 4 speed. The dealers have the gear ratios in there books. DC should find a new 5 speed or 6 speed auto but the 48RE won't be it. <br><br><br>
Old 11-11-2002, 09:59 PM

Fiver, I just couldn't resist posting the pic of Lt. Almond 03 with my 5er. The Oregon Coast is a favorite spot for us in Sept &amp; Oct. Off season rates are in effect at most Parks and Campgrounds. This was at a County RV Park, $16/day w/full hookup. <br><br>If you read between the lines in D-C Press Releases, there is already considerable merging of efforts. The MB automobiles now have their auto trannys built in the D-C tranny plant in OH. These trannys were designed by the MB engineers. Two years ago the OH tranny plant was greatly expanded to accommodate MB trannys and future growth. This shifting of major production from Europe to US left room for D-C to expand their truck tranny production in the MB European plant. <br><br>Are they moving toward consolidation of truck tranny production in Europe? We've already seen the leaner product lines which are more profitable. The demise of the Plymouth Line this year was one such move as the Dodge had an almost identical product and market. GM is in the same process as they phase out the Oldsmobile name in the near future. <br><br>I believe consolidation of truck tranny production would result in a top notch product and maybe even at no additional cost.<br>
Old 11-11-2002, 11:26 PM

Was at a BBQ tonite at the local fire hall. Guys were drooling over the 2003<br><br>One of the guys has a 1997 Dually, Dodge Cummins, auto. He is on his 4th automatic tranny and is saying he may never buy another Dodge (due to auto tranny problems) <br><br>Hunter
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Hunter link=board=20;threadid=6861;start=0#65493 date=1037078798]<br>One of the guys has a 1997 Dually, Dodge Cummins, auto. He is on his 4th automatic tranny and is saying he may never buy another Dodge (due to auto tranny problems) <br>[/quote]<br><br>Did you inform him of the great auto tranny's out there?<br>(to avoid a war) <br><br>ATS, DTT, Suncoast, BD, etc?<br><br>phox

Quick Reply: Any new info on the 48RE