3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

any ex 6.0 Ford guys here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i traded my 04 PSD for my currrent truck. my Ford did have issues mainly with its engine but never left me stranded.
so far my dodge has been pretty good as well, it does need a new instrument cluster, it has the infamous HVAC door issues and the wiring leaves alot to be desired. basically, the one and only thing that is better than the ford is the engine, everything else seems to be of less quality, except the transfercase and axles.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out glacier diesel for their mk-2 micron fuel filter kit. I have one on my truck. $130 and installs in under 1 hour.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 PM
cbx

I'm not a brand guy. owned, ridden or driven them all. The 6.0 navistar is garbage. I say this as a guy who owned a 7.3 and loved every minute of it. 10 guys i know who had 6.0's sold them all. 7 of them bought dodges, 2 another 6.4 ford and one a Dmax. one time 5 of them were broken at once. 9 of the 10 were stock...... need i say more? Thats a bit silly and unacceptable at the same time. Doesnt matter how good it runs. If it wont stay running for more than 10 minutes. Its too bad because ford sure builds a nice truck.

This 05' i have has been by far the most amazing truck i've ever spent any amount of time around. For the fuel economy and the towing ability it has its just superb. I wished the cab had more room and the body metal didnt suck so bad. Every time i've ever towed i've never not been able to maintain the speed limit. What more is needed really? Only thing to me is more fuel economy.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bczolone
I outgrew modifying trucks other than for function a while back. So needless to say I'm probably going to keep mine mostly stock. That's the same thing I got when I had my Ford: "if you do this...or that your truck will be reliable." I hope I didn't make a mistake.

I think a truck this expensive should do what its advertised to do and be reliable without having to sink another few thousand into it to have a good truck.

That's why I ended up with a Dodge.

Is there a kit for this secondary filter of which you speak? This is the first I've heard about that and I've been on two forums reading everything I could for the 8 months prior to buying one.

The Dodge Cummins engines are generally very reliable, stock or even slightly modified. The weakness is the injectors due to fuel that has not been filtered well enough. Here is a link to Glacier Diesel's website with some options for better filtration. http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001

Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Replaced a 01 7.3 Ford with the 07 Dodge, couldn't be happier; I did this because I use my truck for work (contractor), & the local Ford mechanic advised me not to buy the new Ford diesel, when they are in the shop, it is usually for a week or more, I can'nt afford that kind of down time. My 7.3 was a good truck, just wanted something new; Had the Dodge for 2.5 yrs now & no problems, good power, economy, same load capacity; tows alot better.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by newfy
Replaced a 01 7.3 Ford with the 07 Dodge, couldn't be happier; I did this because I use my truck for work (contractor), & the local Ford mechanic advised me not to buy the new Ford diesel, when they are in the shop, it is usually for a week or more, I can'nt afford that kind of down time. My 7.3 was a good truck, just wanted something new; Had the Dodge for 2.5 yrs now & no problems, good power, economy, same load capacity; tows alot better.
It's funny you mention that because I was saying the same thing over at the Ford forum where I've been a member for many years and they think I'm full of it when I say that the Ford techs (two) told me the same thing.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bczolone
It's funny you mention that because I was saying the same thing over at the Ford forum where I've been a member for many years and they think I'm full of it when I say that the Ford techs (two) told me the same thing.

I never said you were full of it, I said I think your lawyer is blowing smoke up our ***. On that post you never mentioned Ford techs saying they were problematic, you said the Ford engineer said that. There is a difference between engineers and techs.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
I never said you were full of it, I said I think your lawyer is blowing smoke up our ***. On that post you never mentioned Ford techs saying they were problematic, you said the Ford engineer said that. There is a difference between engineers and techs.
Go through some of my older posts and you see that.

Both are separate incidents. I also didn't state specifically what the engineer said other than he see mostly 6.0Ls.

He did offer up some more conversation on the subject that was much more specific. It was not "pro" 6.0L.

The techs and actually 2 service managers ( you want ther names?)...that makes a total of 4; suggested emphatically that I should dump the 6.0L.

All of them happened to suggest a 5.9L. One of the service manager drove/drives a 5.9L so he may have been biased.

BTW I happen to believe what my attorney has told me. Over the course of many months I judged him to be straight forward.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
re: any ex 6.0 Ford guys here?

That would make a great question for a poll on here.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Still own my Ford 6.0 and my Dodge 5.9. So ford had some problems with its motor, dodge couldn't keep a tranny in their trucks a few yrs back if their life depended on it either.....anything mechanical is gunna break, all have bad runs of parts. That's life. I really like both my ford and dodge. The ford's chassis parts are definatly better, but i like the motor better in the dodge.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the ENG had not been jack up on horsepower the tyranny would hold up.It is jest like every thing else if you play with it you will pay in the end.All cars and trucks are built for a set HP if you go over the extra built in then it is your fault not the builder
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Yup, owned a '99 7.3 then a '04 6.0, the 6.0 chased me to Dodge. I bought my current truck new in July of '06. It tows better, and gets better mileage. I have had injector problems and a HP fuel line broke and left me stranded. Those items were replaced under warranty and I now have 109K miles on her. I replaced the stock clutch last weekend because the stocker is good for stock power only. It held an extra 65 HP for about 90K miles but then ti started to slip. By comparison my '04 6.0 had a stack of warranty claims about 3/8 of an inch thick in 2 years and 75K miles. The last straw was the turbo going bad and the replacement parts were on back order for 2 weeks.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Well mine doesn't get better mileage I just checked the first tank and was excited looking at the "lie-o-meter" telling me 16.9 mpg...then I got out the calculator and it was 14.0 mpg...1 mpg worse than my 6.0L in town.

Haven't got to tow with it and that will have to wait until next summer.

I hope it's better, but I would have to be pretty bad to be worse.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 AM

Just put some money aside so when you have trans problems it will be easier on the wallet down the road. People will tell you the only time trans problems occur is when you start chipping the truck. Bulls**** I have a friend with a 2003 82,000 and his trans is acting up to the point he is going to pull it. He's a mature adult in his 60's who has a heavy equipment repair shop, no triple big bully dog chips just the factory chips that came in the package when he bought it new. Never did any heavy hauling, yet he has trans problems. Every make has certain problems characteristic to the manufacturer and Dodge is one of them with transmission failures. Flip through the pages of post and you will see it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Just put some money aside so when you have trans problems it will be easier on the wallet down the road. People will tell you the only time trans problems occur is when you start chipping the truck. Bulls**** I have a friend with a 2003 82,000 and his trans is acting up to the point he is going to pull it. He's a mature adult in his 60's who has a heavy equipment repair shop, no triple big bully dog chips just the factory chips that came in the package when he bought it new. Never did any heavy hauling, yet he has trans problems. Every make has certain problems characteristic to the manufacturer and Dodge is one of them with transmission failures. Flip through the pages of post and you will see it.

Thats been taken into cosideration and I did imediatley put aside $3200, a quote from my local diesel performance shop for built and installed Suncoast...don't knwo if that's what I'd do when I need it but that's what I used to figure out how much to set aside.

Quick Reply: any ex 6.0 Ford guys here?