3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

anti-spin diff or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti-spin diff or not

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 2500 with everything I want (thanks for all the previous help with my 6spd question!) and nothing I don't want, with one exception. The truck does not have the anti-spin diff, and I think I want it. After talking with the salesman, he said said it doesn't really matter- it doesn't really help out that much anyway. I am not sure if I can believe this. I do a lot of off-road driving in northern Minnesota, especially in winter in deep snow.
So, what do you guys think? Just how beneficial is the anti-spin? Should it keep me from getting this truck?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 PM

Salesman full of B/S. I would NEVER buy these kinds trucks without antispin.Hard to believe there even built without it.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with hounddog
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM

I would say that there is no reason for it to keep you from getting this truck. My advice is get better tires. I have the stock BFGs and they slip on wet grass and I have the anti-spin. From what I understand, you have to be using the brakes for it to work. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

Nick
Old 07-21-2005, 02:39 PM

If you're going offroad in deep snow, I wouldn't buy one of these without it. Mine is like a hog on ice even with the L/S, I wouldn't dream of buying one of these without it.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Without antispin there a HOG on any wet surface except asphalt etc.I had a load and trailer on a 350 single rear wheel back in 90 with GOOD tires and starting off on a asphalt & grade in the rain SLOWLY it spun!! Wet grass loaded/unloaded etc.Forget going anywhere if any kind of SLIGHT grade. The antispin in my 93 with Dana and my 03 with AAM axels works great.Have never had to use the brake to get the 03 to hook up.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:51 PM

Same here. 1st time with LSD and I have no problems so far. My 1st gen was open and it stunk big time.

I do see what they mean about using the brakes though to get it to lock up. They do seem to LOCK and LEAVE plenty of rubber when first using the brake with full throttle pressure.

But I have had it kick in without a problem around most corners if I really need it to. I would get one if you plan on using it in deep snow.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 PM

LS is a must have

Think about it.... If you don't get the limited slip... all, and I mean all of the torque from you engine is going to go to the wheel with the most slip.....
I test drove an open diff CTD auto and everytime I turned a corner at a stop, Id light up a tire.... in the dry, when I wasn't even trying....
Had to look at the salesman and tell him that I was sorry all the time......lol.
I ended up waiting, and ended up going to an out of town dealer to get a truck with LS.
My local dealer only had open diffs on thier CTD 4X4's..... I couldn't believe it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 PM

I've gotten through some mucky places with L/S without having to engage 4 wheel drive, and definitely would not have gotten throuhg them without the L/S unless I used 4 wheel drive. The salesman is full of it; get one with the L/S and you'll be a lot happier in the snow up there.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 PM

There are reasons for and against a torgue biasing device (LS for example). I can't stand a vehicle that doesn't have one but some people just get themselves in trouble with one!

Things to consider ... with improved power transfer to both wheels; take off in slick conditions usually yeilds more ability to move. This improved power transfer can be a negative when it comes to very slick cornering conditions or off camber type positions.

I still think the best option is electronic lockers! hum ... Maybe not haveing the antispin would be a good excuse to get a selectable locker!?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I suppose you got the idea that anti spin is the way to go especially in Minnesota!

Rick
Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Pickups were often bass ackwards in a survey of winter accidents in Alaska where vehicles went offroad. In addition to being light in the rear, I'll guess that a lot of trucks have the 'must have' limited slip, which will tend to break the rear end loose in uniformly slick conditions. I have an open diff and so far prefer it over a limited slip for that reason, as we apparently have some of the worst winter conditions in the country around here due to ice. I don't have problems in snow, if it bogs I just snick it into 4wd, but even with studded snow tires I've had the truck slowly start sliding towards the edge of the road while stopped.

Limited slips work great in mixed traction conditions, where you're using it to get over a short distance of poor traction, or at low speeds. At speed on an ice covered long turn both wheels will often be at the edge of no traction, and when one does start slipping the limited slip 'throws more torque' to the other wheel on the edge of slipping, so guess what happens ? It slips and the rear end breaks loose.

I'd much prefer a selectable locker, or even a limited slip that only engages say when you hit the brakes.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM

I have it in my 01 and I'm not too sure I like it. Mine is a 2wd though. I found that I can barely take off while turning with the LS. In a turn on a slippery surface, both wheels are trying to go the same speed and one is either spinning or the other is dragging.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I knew that there were advantages and disadvantages of LS. I think I will stick with having the LS, as I originally intended.
For what it's worth, I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with the TRD package, which includes a selectable rear locker. It is absolutely unbelievable off-road. I know that the 2005 can't match it, but I want to come as close as possible. So, I might as well get what I really want!
Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:05 AM

"I have it in my 01 and I'm not too sure I like it. Mine is a 2wd though. I found that I can barely take off while turning with the LS. In a turn on a slippery surface, both wheels are trying to go the same speed and one is either spinning or the other is dragging."

In the end, regardless of how well it may work or not work for someone, the main thing that I don't like is that it's another one of those 'automatic' doo-dads, which I despise. I HATE even the stupid little things like the air turning on when I switch to defrost; I'm prefectly capable of turning the air on when I want it, and there are times when I don't want it on, but Dodge in all of it's wisdom has made it another stupid 'automatic' feature. 'Automatic' limited slips are no different, as a selectable locker would not only provide better control, but it would be more useful as a limited slip will still usually slip if one wheel gets off of the ground.

Quick Reply: anti-spin diff or not