3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anti-Spin Diff Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Spin Diff Broken?

Got a 2500 with the "Anti-Spin Differential". Well, I got stuck in a snowy ditch this weekend (please don't ask). Only the back left tire would spin, nothing on the back right. Same goes for the front, but I expected that because the front is open.
Is "Anti spin" a bunch of crap, or is it broken?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Would be hard to imagine the "anti-spin" being broken or not working on a new truck, but stanger things have happened I guess... Are you positive it is equipped with that option? The best way to tell is to jack one side up and see if you can turn the wheel, if it turns easy you don't have it , if it has you may be able to turn it with quite a bit of effort. Or you can jack both rear wheels up and turn them, if they both turn at the same direction it has "anti-spin", if one side doesn't turn or turns in the opposite direction you have an open differential......Have seen a few trucks with the option on the build sheet and not delivered with it??
Old 01-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Should have it. I am looking right at the window sticker and it says "Anti-Spin Differential Axle $285"

I'll jack it up and spin the tires and see what happens
Old 01-02-2005, 08:45 PM

It will act like an open when you spin it since it is not a clutch type posi. The wheels will spin opposite. Next time...modulate the brake a little to get both tires turning some...the posi will then engage and work well or never loose all momentum next time!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:44 PM

thats what i thought about mine too. its kinda wierd though. my snowmobile trailer went into a small 8" deep gulch. sure its not deep and the truck should pull it right out but i was in probably a foot of snow. only my back left tire was spinning. After i took the snowmobiles off both tires spun and the truck pulled right out

when i go WOT from a dead stop both of my rear tires lay 100' of rubber.

its like the diff is open when you need anti spin
Old 01-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, what cquestad said.

This diff uses some sort of PFM with gears instead of the old clutches like we're accustomed to.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:54 AM

You have to apply slight pressure to the emergency brake to get the rear end to work properly. When you apply pressure to the ebrake, it causes friction and the rear end will engage the other wheel to grab. It even states it in the owners manual (don't ask for page number, cause I don't have the book with me) .

Yeah, they don't work like a normal posi-rear end. If you want true posi (clutch plates) you have to order it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 AM

Really? Do you keep the emergency brake partially applied? WOW!!!!
I'll have to pickup my owner's manual and read that one. Thanks for the info.

Boy has Dodge mis-represented this one.
"Anti-Spin... just apply parking brake..."
That sounds really funny to me.
It sounds like a joke doesn't it?
Thanks for the smile...
Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I know it sound funny....NO you do not keep the EBrake applied after the other wheel grabs.
You should try doing it with a 6spd...it's real fun!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:16 PM

Once it engages though...it holds much better than the friction type. Once you get used to making it work, you will love it. I use the brake pedal intead of the parking brake to do it. Easy with an auto and just slightly more fun with a stick! A big foot can handle the gas and brake at the same time.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 PM

A big foot can handle the gas and brake at the same time.
do that all the time downshifting..

if you've got the service manual, you can look up the operation of the diff, as well as some diagrams of the internals where you can see the way the 2 side gears work with the 6 pinion gears and their brake shoes...

section 3 - differential & driveline - rear axle 11.5" - differential tracrite
Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 AM

I guess I'll have to give the brake trick a try.

As far as I'm concerned thus far, the "anti-spin" is garbage. When you need it most: wet/slippery boat ramp, sugar sand, ice, etc. it's not doing it's job. The thought of try to build some momentum rolling up a slippery ramp & having to apply the brakes to get traction sounds rediculous.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by cquestad
It will act like an open when you spin it since it is not a clutch type posi. The wheels will spin opposite. Next time...modulate the brake a little to get both tires turning some...the posi will then engage and work well or never loose all momentum next time!
100' - Yeah Right!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On reasonably flat surfaces, where wheels don't lift off of the ground, tires suited for the situation seem to be the best bet for good traction. 4wd helps to get you going but is less helpful in braking and cornering. Everything else attended to, from what I've seen a selectable locker seems to be the best bet for getting unstuck. A limited slip can engage when you don't want it to, and not engage when you want it to.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:14 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my LS diff. The only time I have to "coax" it a little is when one tire is completely off the ground or has next to zero traction. Then I never have to ride the brakes. Just a little tap and it hooks up. Every where else it is invisible and very effective. If it was more aggressive it would be grinding the inside tire on every turn.
What's ridiculous is calling something this good junk. If you want to go rock climbing (something these trucks are not good at anyway) then get an ARB. If you want a high quality and effective LS diff, then the AAM seems fine to me. Junk? I don't think so. We can't expect all mechanical devices, all the time, to to everything perfectly in every situation.

Wetspirit

Quick Reply: Anti-Spin Diff Broken?