3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another ULSD question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ULSD question

I have been trying to readup and understand what the differance of running LSD and ULSD. I know the differance of the fuel its self is the amount of sulfur it has and that sulfur is a lubricant for the motor, but why is it that the new trucks are supposed to run ULSD vice LSD? and rather then dropping me the name of a part using an acronym please expline what the part is and does that by running LSD could cause problems.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sulfer is not a lubricant. the process of removing it strips the fuel of its lubricant and sulfer is the the pollutant being removed. the difffenence between lsd and ulsd is this.....lsd can have up to 500ppm of sulfer and ulsd can have up to 15 ppm of sulpher...removing more sulper will remove more of the fuels ability to lube.Sulfer in high amounts will clog particulate filters.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mini14
sulfer is not a lubricant. the process of removing it strips the fuel of its lubricant and sulfer is the the pollutant being removed. the difffenence between lsd and ulsd is this.....lsd can have up to 500ppm of sulfer and ulsd can have up to 15 ppm of sulpher...removing more sulper will remove more of the fuels ability to lube.Sulfer in high amounts will clog particulate filters.
SO I would guess the newest trucks(07.5-08) have mor eof these particulate filters that can become plugged up??
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM

It clogs the CAT on the exhaust.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by lniemeyer2
It clogs the CAT on the exhaust.
do you mean the dpf?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Is LSD even available anywhere now? I haven't seen any in months, at least not for hiway use.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dale29
Is LSD even available anywhere now? I haven't seen any in months, at least not for hiway use.
I live in Wilkes Barre, PA and all we have is LSD.
But then again we are years behind the rest of the country......
Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM

oh so the sulfur is NOT a lubricant? the way i was reading it was that it was a lubricant... ok so in the end either way we lose lubricating properties. Running the fuel with more sulfur will messup what part of the newer trucks? im sorry but i'm not on board with all the abreviations of the parts, im new to diesels
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they did not have as many problems with the lube additives when they converted to ulsd as they did when they converted to lsd. on the conversion to lsd they did not know how important the luberosity of the diesel was to the pumps and it did many millions of dollars damage to the pumps before they got it corrected , this time the pump people helped with the additive requirements to produce wear the same as the lsd it replaced , only one snag ocured and that had to do with transportation cant spell for sh$%
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the newer trucks 07.5-up have particulate filters that will clog if anything but ulsd is used......and again please do not think sulpher is a lubricant.....
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM

the newer trucks 07.5-up have particulate filters that will clog if anything but ulsd is used......and again please do not think sulpher is a lubricant.....
and is this particulate filters what we know as a CAT on cars? or is this something differant?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1stdodge
I live in Wilkes Barre, PA and all we have is LSD.
But then again we are years behind the rest of the country......
Do you have your own refinery nearby? Unless that's the case, I can't see why it isn't ULSD??
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
and is this particulate filters what we know as a CAT on cars? or is this something differant?
No, CAT is short for catalytic converter. As a previous poster stated it's an exhaust part. Basically, it's an emission control device that removes or converts sulphur dioxide. The diesel Rams came equipped with cats starting with the '04.5 model year (trucks produced after Jan 1, 2004).

A particulate filter is exactly what the words say, a filter that removes particulate (particles). Both oil and fuel filters are particulate filters.

From what I've heard and read, ALL diesel fuel for on road use in the United States is ULSD by federal government direction.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM

ok so the lsd doesnt clog the CATs it clogs the particulate filters then?

if thats the case what changed in the motor that you cant just run a filter that is similar in nature to the old trucks where running LSD wasn't an issue?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM

I think more and more stations are running out of LSD fuel 'cause all the truck stops I fuel at now have raised their prices on the average of 50 cents/gallon over the last two weeks. I'll have to check the pumps for the diclaimer sticker when I fill up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Another ULSD question