3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another tcw-3 success story (and other stuff)

Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another tcw-3 success story

OK...so I finally tried adding tcw-3 two stroke oil to my fuel and have had excellent results...really....no fuel additive has even come close. The truck is smoother and quieter than when I bought it with 30K miles three years ago (140K now). The only other time the truck has run this well is when I ran a tank of 100% biodiesel.

Just thought I would share my experience with this. Great forums, great resource!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 AM

good to hear i have been using it also.

how much did you add ?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you just gave me the final nudge to go out and get some tcw-3. I hear its something like 12oz to a tank, but ????
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM

Where can i get myself some? Should i run it once i get my flux 1's?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM

12V - Wal Mart has it by the gallon. ?about 8 bucks. Rip- I always just put 1 quart in my tank which is almost 40 gallons. I don't know what most people do. I have a place near me that sells 20% Biodiesel for same price as regular diesel, so that is what I use, then I don't have to add anything. I read that it really keeps your whole fuel system clean, been running it over a year without problems, maybe it will stay that way.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM

I have been using it for the last 20,000 miles and it is more quieter. It does nothing for adding cetane but it boosts lubricity. In tests running 5% or better biodiesel added more lubricity then the 2 stroke oil but bio is not that available in my area.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran 2 stroke in mine too and thought mine sounded great too. then when my motor dropped a valve (totally unrelated issue)and I got to see what the inside of my combustion chambers looked like at 15 k miles I decided to stop using it. it had a thick build up of carbon inside the head and a thick buildup of almost oily soot all through the exhaust. it wasn't normal. I only learned about the oily soot because the dodge service tech had to reach down inside the exhaust to get pieces of valve off the front of my cat and it ruined his shirt. also, I have a friend who sends his oil in regularly to be analyzed and always had a very clean report. after hearing how it may improve mileage and make the motor so much smoother and quieter he decided to try running 2 stroke. after about 3000 miles he sent in an oil sample and was surprised to find that the soot level in his oil was maxed. it was so bad that the oil couldn't hold anymore soot. after discontinuing the 2 stroke and an oil change, his next sample at 3000 miles came back perfect again. I agree that is does make your motor very quiet and it probably does extend the life of your injectors because of the added lubricity but it only lubricates the pre combustion areas of the engine or just the injection system. once its burnt its no longer a lubricant and I believe it will shorten the life of your motor. your oil turns black because particles produced from the burning of fuel in the combustion chamber get past the rings. burnt diesel and burnt oil don't totally disappear. they leave soot. anyone who has ever had a 2 stroke dirt bike as a kid knows about soot building up as carbon in the entire exhaust. the burning of oil leaves WAY more soot than the burning of diesel fuel. isn't soot just extremely fine particles of carbon? carbon is not a lubricant and in fact looks like crystals or broken glass under a microscope . diamonds are made from compressed carbon. just sounds like a bad idea to totally load your lubricating oil up with a friction additive . I'm sure there are those here who will disagree with me and I'm not trying to start a fight. just sharing what I have learned.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Running 16oz per tank.

MikeyB
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supersonictoys
I ran 2 stroke in mine too and thought mine sounded great too. then when my motor dropped a valve (totally unrelated issue)and I got to see what the inside of my combustion chambers looked like at 15 k miles I decided to stop using it. it had a thick build up of carbon inside the head and a thick buildup of almost oily soot all through the exhaust. it wasn't normal. I only learned about the oily soot because the dodge service tech had to reach down inside the exhaust to get pieces of valve off the front of my cat and it ruined his shirt. also, I have a friend who sends his oil in regularly to be analyzed and always had a very clean report. after hearing how it may improve mileage and make the motor so much smoother and quieter he decided to try running 2 stroke. after about 3000 miles he sent in an oil sample and was surprised to find that the soot level in his oil was maxed. it was so bad that the oil couldn't hold anymore soot. after discontinuing the 2 stroke and an oil change, his next sample at 3000 miles came back perfect again. I agree that is does make your motor very quiet and it probably does extend the life of your injectors because of the added lubricity but it only lubricates the pre combustion areas of the engine or just the injection system. once its burnt its no longer a lubricant and I believe it will shorten the life of your motor. your oil turns black because particles produced from the burning of fuel in the combustion chamber get past the rings. burnt diesel and burnt oil don't totally disappear. they leave soot. anyone who has ever had a 2 stroke dirt bike as a kid knows about soot building up as carbon in the entire exhaust. the burning of oil leaves WAY more soot than the burning of diesel fuel. isn't soot just extremely fine particles of carbon? carbon is not a lubricant and in fact looks like crystals or broken glass under a microscope . diamonds are made from compressed carbon. just sounds like a bad idea to totally load your lubricating oil up with a friction additive . I'm sure there are those here who will disagree with me and I'm not trying to start a fight. just sharing what I have learned.

I understand your concern. However, I know of many ppl doing this and also the WMO and have done it for well over 100k miles with Cummins and Cat engines without adverse effects. A thing to note is to make sure you get ashless tcw-3 oil.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM

I change oil every 5,000 and a sample goes to Blackstones for testing. My reports come back "can't get much better" I know of a guy from Alaska who has been using it for 75,000 miles now with no problems. I myself use 1 oz per gallon.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Refreshing to hear feedback about the inside of an engine after using 2 stroke oil, and not just the sound good effects.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fill out your signature so we know what you have. There are many reasons for high soot content and they are not exclusive to running 2 stroke.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Yup, like if you dropped a valve, maybe there was engine oil getting into the combustion chamber.

BTW, 3rd gens do better with .64 oz / gallon (200:1) ratio.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Sorry to here about your engine.

I also use the Walmart ashless tcw-3 but I also add it some power service. I love it and will continue to use it.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM

I have also heard about carbon build up using 2-stroke oil in the fuel. It also makes a oily mess in the exhaust system. With additives designed for diesel fuel I don't see much need for 2-stroke oil in fuel.
Billy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another tcw-3 success story (and other stuff)