3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

American brand rear axle lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American brand rear axle lock-up

My first post. I just bought this truck 4 days ago, with the new anti spin rear axle option. Two days later while crossing a small ditch I got one rear wheel off the ground and was stuck there. I had to get a small tractor to pull me about 6 inches backward then once the wheel caught dirt again I was able to drive on out backwards. Later I read in the owners manual that you "may" have to apply the parking break in order to get the rear axle lock-up to function on this new axle. Someone told me in a local cafe that the new Dodges do not have a clutch pack they instead now use a worm gear and mechanically lock the two axles. Anyone had a similiar experience? I don't want to go get stuck again just to test the owners manual accuracy.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:05 AM

true
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 AM

Buford,
I asked this same question the other day after talking to someone at a dealership, here is a link to the thread I started: 3rd gen LSD. Basically, the answer was to apply the parking brake.

Good Luck,
~Rob
Old 03-07-2005, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the information. Yes I found it in the book, the parking break trick works, amazed the dealer did not know about this issue. The mechanic I spoke with did not seem to happy with the new American axle. Seems Dodge has just switched over to this brand of axle and he indicated some chevys use them and have had problems in the past with breaking that little lock up worm gear I think. Sounds like we better apply pressure to the parking break with both wheels stopped or barely turning or we will be buying differential parts often. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:16 PM

Is there a aftermarket posi or locker available for the 11.5 rear end yet?

Thanks,
Howling
Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Howling
Is there a aftermarket posi or locker available for the 11.5 rear end yet?
Go To http://www.aam.com/technology/tech_prod_dl_diff.html. It looks like they have a lot of different types of AAM brand differentials, even some lockers. I'd bet they make them for our truck diffs. As a jeep guy, I'd prefer a Detroit locker, and E-Locker, or ARB, but they don't make them for the 11.5" AAM axle (yet). It would be nice to have one in the front, too. I actually gave AAM a call last year about the rear diffs that come in our trucks, and spoke to an engineer. Pretty knowledgeable guy and wanted to be very helpful.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:39 PM

ARB is working on an air locker that should be out by years need. One will be in my truck as soon as they hit the market. I talked with Eaton, Teraflex & they said they did,nt have plans to build one for the 11.5 AAM. Too bad Dodge gave up the Dana,s my 98 was one of the best pulling trucks around & it had stock differentials.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Just wanted to let eveyone know that the dealer just called me back today and said according to STAR the dif is working as it was designed and WILL lock up automatically as long a both rear wheels have similiar traction. This does seem to be the case if I just floor it on pavement or pasture. The parking break need only be applied when one wheel is off the ground or one wheel in mud and other on firm ground/pavement. May have to get one of those ARB units when they come out.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally posted by buford
Just wanted to let eveyone know that the dealer just called me back today and said according to STAR the dif is working as it was designed and WILL lock up automatically as long a both rear wheels have similiar traction. This does seem to be the case if I just floor it on pavement or pasture. The parking break need only be applied when one wheel is off the ground or one wheel in mud and other on firm ground/pavement. May have to get one of those ARB units when they come out.
my open differential will spin both tires if they have similar traction... And to think at one time I was gripping about the 10,000 mile clutch life on the nissan LSD.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:36 PM

Talked to Randy's Ring and Pinion. He said they do carry a helical limited slip, which is an upgrade over the stock limited slip.

But, it has a price tag of $499

Local off road shop said $820 for the LSD and install.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Muted User

Originally posted by buford
Thanks for the information. Yes I found it in the book, the parking break trick works, amazed the dealer did not know about this issue. The mechanic I spoke with did not seem to happy with the new American axle. Seems Dodge has just switched over to this brand of axle and he indicated some chevys use them and have had problems in the past with breaking that little lock up worm gear I think. Sounds like we better apply pressure to the parking break with both wheels stopped or barely turning or we will be buying differential parts often. Thanks for the quick response.

Buford, do not confuse our axles with the ones in Chevy's. True AAM does manufacture the axles for Dodge and Chevy, but they use different LSD mechanisms. The Dodge uses a helical worm gear LSD while the Chevy uses the G80 locker. The G80 is made by Eaton and works very differently than the Dodges. The G80 engages when the rpms from one where exceed the RPM from another wheel. This causes a a lever to open (via centrifugal force) which grabs another lever that causes the clutches to engage, thus locking both wheels. The G80 is notorious for getting "grenaded". Grenading the G80 happens when someone stomps on the gas, causing one wheel to spin. This will force the internal lever to open up and catch the clutch plate lever. However, because the wheels are spinning so fast, when the lever actually engages, the force at which it engages will cause the thing to explode !!! An analogy is similiar to dumping the clutch when the engine is at 3000 RPM. The flywheel is spinning at a very high rate of speed, and then all of the sudden, it torque is applied to the clutch/input shaft. Do that enough and something with break/
Old 03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Muted User

PZM123, i was told something very similar. About 5-6 months ago I sent ARB an email asking when they would be offering a locker for the Dodges 11.5. They replied back saying that they had just sent an axle to Australia for their engineers to start prototyping with. Back then I was told it would be at least a year out before they could have something ready. I have an open diff in my 4x4 and thought very seriously about putting in an aftermarket LSD. But because there is limited selectiong for our axles, the LSD's out ther are very expensive. The ARB turns out not to be much more (given todays prices).

I do have to give the Open Diff one favorable praise. During wet roads, this truck is just darn near impossible to get sideways. If I cut a corner too fast, one of my wheels will break free and start spinning. However, since it is open diff, the other one willl not spin, and will maintain traction with the road. If I had a LSD both wheels would have spun sending me sideways. I'm not saying I prefer an Open Diff, but this is one pleasant side effect that I have noticed. To me, having Open Diff with air lockers is the best it can get.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by djp9747
Buford, do not confuse our axles with the ones in Chevy's. True AAM does manufacture the axles for Dodge and Chevy, but they use different LSD mechanisms. The Dodge uses a helical worm gear LSD while the Chevy uses the G80 locker. The G80 is made by Eaton and works very differently than the Dodges. The G80 engages when the rpms from one where exceed the RPM from another wheel. This causes a a lever to open (via centrifugal force) which grabs another lever that causes the clutches to engage, thus locking both wheels. The G80 is notorious for getting "grenaded". Grenading the G80 happens when someone stomps on the gas, causing one wheel to spin. This will force the internal lever to open up and catch the clutch plate lever. However, because the wheels are spinning so fast, when the lever actually engages, the force at which it engages will cause the thing to explode !!! An analogy is similiar to dumping the clutch when the engine is at 3000 RPM. The flywheel is spinning at a very high rate of speed, and then all of the sudden, it torque is applied to the clutch/input shaft. Do that enough and something with break/
Thanks djp9747 for that info. I had heard of that (grenading) before but did not really know why it was happening. So have you or anyone else actually gotten one of these new axles, that Dodge sells as "anti-spin", out in a muddy field/road? Seems fiddleing with the parking break while trying to drive out of a muddy/slick area is asking for trouble.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the open diff with a selectable locker seems ideal. I also have an open diff and also like the way that it 'fails softly', just spinning a wheel, instead of kicking the rear end around. A brother in Alaska talked to a state trooper who was doing a survey of winter accidents versus vehicle type, and relayed that SUVs rolled often, a lot of cars just went off the road but stayed right side up, while pickups were often bass ackwards.

Another opion for a locker is the selectable locker from the 9.25in used in the Power Wagon (?), which would be almost ideal for lightly loaded conditions as the dieel is pretty nose heavy. I've not heard of anyone who managed to get a price for parts though.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:14 PM

Called & talked to Randy's, as well, and what they have is a helical track rite torque biasing unit. It is the same unit that comes stock in the trucks with limited slip. Also called American Axle & talked to them & was told I could buy the unit at Randy's. The Dodge part number for this rear end is 05086962AA. He went on to explain how Dodge advertised it wrong because it is not a limited slip. Sort of got in over my head on this discussion, but what Randy sells is the same unit that comes stock as limited slip. I am going to wait on the ARB because you have an open rear end on the highway & with a dually sure will save some tires & handling.
With a good air compressor & about a 2-2 1/2 gallon tank you can run some wrenches & air your tires. So, I'll be waiting on the ARB.

Quick Reply: American brand rear axle lock-up