3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

600 vibration help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put 800 miles on my truck with no vibe.. then ran truck thru 4x4 just to see if all worked ok and since then I have had the vibration.... sux..... waiting on a solution.. most service writers I talk to dont even know what a "600" is.... let alone a 68mph vibe... anyway I talked to a tech that has seen some and he says they tried driving one without the front driveshaft and the vibe went away..... If I dont get this thing fixed in the next few weeks I will be taking my front driveshaft out for my 500 mile 1way trip at the end of the month....

Slick
Old 05-04-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by SLICK RICK
I put 800 miles on my truck with no vibe.. then ran truck thru 4x4 just to see if all worked ok and since then I have had the vibration.... sux..... waiting on a solution.. most service writers I talk to dont even know what a "600" is.... let alone a 68mph vibe... anyway I talked to a tech that has seen some and he says they tried driving one without the front driveshaft and the vibe went away..... If I dont get this thing fixed in the next few weeks I will be taking my front driveshaft out for my 500 mile 1way trip at the end of the month....

Slick
That pretty well proves it's in the transfercase. Even if a guy is lucky enough to get it replaced then you'd better hope that the new one is put together a little better.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 PM

you said it........ I am gonna wait a little while till they get this worked out.....
Old 05-04-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by skeeter
so i read this site every day . the other mechanic here at work and i were discussing the vibration problem. by the way i have 2003 2500 4x4 6speed.with no vibration. any way his feed back on it is that it is in the front drive line and that the
inclination of the front drive line is wrong.and the ujoints are not working right.has any one taken the front drive line out and test drove there truck
Yes,...they took it out and no vibration. They sent out the front shaft and had it balanced,...same ol, same ol,... Then they took out the rear shaft and balanced it,....same ol s...t! Taking it back on Monday. We'll see who has the most patience b-4 something get fixed. If it takes a squeeky wheel,...I can ablige. The fact is though,...contrary to your friends assessment,...the only two that have been reported as fixed on this site and DTR had the transfercase replaced. No one with 2wd has had this.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:33 AM

While waiting for the dealership to make up their mind what to do about my vibe, I've done a little looking under my truck. I jacked up the rear and put it on jackstands and ran it up to 70 mph to see if "it" was still there which it was. To me this takes the front driveline out of the picture. Next I crawled under and inspected a few things. The thing I noticed was where the slipyoke enters the tailshaft of the transfercase I could move the driveshaft up and down an 1/8 of an inch. This can't be normal and if it is the driveshaft being the least out of balance could cause the vibe. Has any one else noticed this? What do you think about my idea? It appears that the slipyoke/tailshaft are not machined at a close enough tolerance.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

I do not have any play at the T/F case (pushing and pulling fairly hard). I did notice the connection of the rear long drive shaft and rear short drive shaft has a rubber support housing ?? I'm not a mechanic but if something were even slightly out of balance common sense tell me the shafts are going to move in that flexible rubber.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 PM

Shaky, you said you had just the REAR in the air? and still had the vibe? ok so the front output was not turning out of the transfer case correct? the front driveline does turn when your running down the road so raising just the rear up does not give you full data....... i believe it has something to do with the way the front shaft is turning when driving....... you could have had a little out of round tire causing the vibe with the rear in the air.. freespinning the rear with no load is like comparing apples to oranges... sure both fruit but very different..... I am truely convinced it has something to do with the front output shaft on the tcase.... when turned by the front driveshaft in 2WD situations... my truck ran 800 miles with no vibe and it started to vibe after the first time I ran it thru 4x4.... I dont think that was coincidence.... anyway everyone keep there ears open for a solution...

Rick
Old 05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Chapter President

Slick Rick, don't worry about keeping our ears open, My dealership service writers know me by first name and sigh when I come through the door!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:29 AM

Slick, I left the front down so the front driveline wouldn't turn on purpose.I wanted to eliminate the rotation of the front driveshaft The vibe came on at 68 mph just like it does on the road I believe it's the same vibe. I do agree with you on one thing though. It's in the T-case.

JMAC,
I grew up in "Slocala" graduated from NMHS in '85. My family is still there though. You must have a LWB. I have heard of a few guys putting a small spacer between the carrier bearing and the mount to reduce the vibe. It must be Rallye Dodge
Old 05-06-2004, 09:53 AM
DAA

Well, just a quick update on my second trip to the dealer about the 70 mph vibration problem with my truck.

Took it in on Tues. They drove it some, said they couldn't feel anything unusual. I explained again, what is happening, and also courteously explained what I suspected the problem was (drive train), and that I also had concerns that it was going to be next to impossible to get them to fix it (based on what I've been hearing on this forum and others). He said that if it turned out to be a problem with the transfer case causing it, that they would replace it "no problem, no questions asked". He then asked if he could keep the truck overnight, so he could take it for a long drive himself in the morning. Sounded good to me. He called mid morning yesterday, said he had just got out of my truck, and that he really had not been able to detect anything unusual at all. I explained again how to best reproduce the vibration, he said he'd driven it exactly that way and noted no unusual vibration. This was all very polite and courteous on both ends. He then suggested I come down and take him for a ride and see if I could get it to vibrate. Again, sounded good to me. Would you believe, I took him for almost a 40 mile drive, and that dang truck of mine would NOT "do" the vibration?! Can't expect them to fix what they can't even see, so I decided not to pursue it any further for now. Truck didn't have the vibration last night driving home or this morning driving in either. Who knows, maybe it fixed itself, temporarily at least...

Just figures, don't it?

- DAA
Old 05-06-2004, 01:25 PM

I'd bet they found something minor on your truck and did fix it and just didn't want to tell you so you wouldn't think that anything was wrong with the truck and that you just have an active imagination. Did they give you the repair order from your truck having been there? If not I'd go in and ask the clerk for a copy without going to the service advisor because if they did do somthing they would have had to charge out the time and it would be there for you to see, and there would be an explanation of what was looked at, tested and such. I just can't believe if you had what most of us have had that it just went away. Sceptical.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:04 PM

DAA, I thought my 70mph vibe had worked itself out too, only to find that it has now strangely migrated to 75mph and is actually worse than ever. Crank it up to 80 and it's smooth, back it off and it vibes like crazy @ 75 on the way down to a fairly smooth (now) 70mph. Tested back and forth several times and always got the same result. I don't get how it could move up in the speed range like that, but then again, I don't get why DC released all these trucks with problems in the first place!!

I just hope someone comes up with a solution soon as most of my driving is between 70 and 80mph.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:09 AM

i hate too say this......but Im glad that its not just mine (I have a '03 with the 285hp variety)

and they havnt friggin fixed it yet
Old 05-10-2004, 02:09 PM

Maybe the vibration is migrating to different speeds as things are wearing in/out. Try putting your truck in 4Hi, drive it around a little and put it back into 2wd and see if the vibe comes back.

Just an idea.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I've been doing that... popping it in 4HI for a few on straight roads, then back to 2HI, back and forth... doesn't seem to make a difference yet. All I can say is that hopefully the vibe will continue to migrate on up, right off the end of the speedo where I will never notice it!!

Quick Reply: 600 vibration help