3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

600 vibration help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 600 vibration help

Does anyone have any solid evidence that there is a commitee in place working on the 68+mph vibe. I've recently had a very bad experience with my dealership about this problem. All they tell me is they're working on it. Since the dealership has lost all credibility with me I figured I would ask you guys. ( the ones that know!!!)

PS One lady at the dealership recomended I ask who ever has already had their truck fixed at the dealership fax or mail me a copy of their repair order. This would apparently help my cause a lot.

Any help would be very apprec.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:29 AM

I have that same vibration. Starts about 68mph on up. Some things I've noticed,...if you have a bit of a load on board,...say 600 to 800 lbs it gets worse as you go faster. Took mine up to 90 and couldn't hear on the cell phone! If you match the Overdrive rpm of 2k where the vibration starts with the Tow mode at 2k rpm there is no sound and no vibration. Most of us with this problem are autos and all of us with the vibration are 4X4. I haven't heard/read of anyone with 2wd that has this. I had both shafts rebalanced and no good. However they pulled the front one and ran it and no vibration or sound. I've read on this site and TDR and only three people that I've read about have found solution. One had the front shaft replaced and claims to have solved the problem. Both the other two had had their shafts replaced followed by changing the transfercase. That fixed it. I believe it to be a transfercase problem. Only the dealers won't normally go that far and say wait, wait, wait! I've had this truck since March 15 and they've had it as much as I have. For the answer you were looking for,...I talked with the area service manager and he told me a team of DCX engineers were assembled and working on this issue. He said pls don't take my truck back for a few weeks. That was April 17th. I'm gonna give it a full month and then I'm going back to him to seek authorization to have the dealer change out the transfercase.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:04 PM

I can feel your pain. I to have the vibe. The service mgr at my dealership has been extremly helpful, but no fix. If anyone has names and numbers of service managers or reps at DC that have had the vibe sucessfully repaired. PLEASE POST them for us so that we can have our trucks repaired. If you don't we will have to the wheel reinvented to get our trucks fixed to, Thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 03:29 AM

driveline vibration

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW 3500 SRW 6SPD IT HAD THE SAME VIBRATION.. I TRADED IN ON A 3500 DRW AUTO.. IT HAS THE SAME VIBRATION.. IT PUTS MY FEET TO SLEEP.. I WOULD SURE LIKE TO WHAT THE FIX IS..
Old 05-03-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by shakycummins
I can feel your pain. I to have the vibe. The service mgr at my dealership has been extremly helpful, but no fix. If anyone has names and numbers of service managers or reps at DC that have had the vibe sucessfully repaired. PLEASE POST them for us so that we can have our trucks repaired. If you don't we will have to the wheel reinvented to get our trucks fixed to, Thanks
I sent a memo to the Tech Consultant on this site, as they, you recall, published a glowing informational in their last TDR magazine using quotes from the DCX project engineer for the new 600. The Tech Consultant told me my memo has been forwarded to the Editorial Comments group. I felt with the type influence this site and publication has that they/we as a group would have enough influence to affect a fix from DCX. If you agree,...ANY OF YOU, then send Robert Patton your comments at:

rpatton@ix.netcom.com

He is the Editorial Comments ddirector for this site. Tks
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sent an email.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Email sent 5-3-04. was polite but firm on request for info on the solution.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. Sent on 5/3.

Neil
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM

I also have the vibe... it started at about 800 miles after I ran the truck in 4x4(just checking it out) and have had it since.... I talked to a tech today and he says he has seen 3 truck with same probs... says its in the front driveshaft/tcase issue... says 1 truck a new driveshaft fixed it, another needed driveshaft and tcase... It is such an annoyance.... pissing me off.... I have to tow a long distance later at the end of the month and I will go nuts with that vibe... I may pull the front shaft what do you think??

Rick
Old 05-03-2004, 11:47 PM

Yup sent him one also...........
Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 AM

Done, sent one to. What can this guy do?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:43 AM

Research our complaints (sheer volume), contact DCX for an explanation and put it in a publication.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 AM
DAA

I'll send the e-mail shortly.

My 2500/600, auto, 4x4, LWB has the shake, and it's driving me crazy. Took it in for the vibration when it was only a couple weeks old, they rebalanced the tires, didn't help at all. It's got 3k miles on it now. Made a 600 mile run on Saturday, all 65 MPH speed limit. Holy cow. There were a few stretches, where it seemed like the vibration was in some sort of a harmonic "node" and the **** thing shook so hard I couldn't believe it. It's back at the dealer again right now. Reading this forum, I get the distinct impression that my truck isn't going to get fixed today... This really is just unacceptable for a $40k truck. I sure hope the powers that be can be persuaded to do the right thing and fix these trucks - they'll lose a customer for life if they don't, that is for sure.

- DAA
Old 05-04-2004, 11:34 AM

I was at the dealer last week while having some work done to the wife's Caravan... so while I was there, I popped the 70mph vibe question to 3 different service writers. Two of them were completley clueless (go figure) but the third guy (after asking a flurry of stupid questions such as what kind of pavement am I driving on when I get the vibe) said he's seen a couple of trucks with the same problem and that they've been able to fix them with different solutions. He said that on a few of them it was the front pinion angle and a couple of others it was the rear driveshaft, nothing about transfer cases, which I am still suspicious about. He really wanted me to leave my truck so that they could look at it, but unfortunately, I needed it and was unable to part with it. All I can say is that at least that guy was aware of the problem and more than willing to look at it. My problem is that I live in another city about 90 miles away, I can only hope that the local dealer here in po-dunk will do the same for me.

All in all, I find it incredibly sad that we have to do all of this legwork. We've all dumped a lot of $$ in these trucks and IMO, we should be getting R&D salaries from DC for troubleshooting a product that was not yet ready for production. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy!!! My overall respect for DC products is slipping into the realm of what I think of Chevy and Ford... and that's not a good place to be.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:58 PM

so i read this site every day . the other mechanic here at work and i were discussing the vibration problem. by the way i have 2003 2500 4x4 6speed.with no vibration. any way his feed back on it is that it is in the front drive line and that the
inclination of the front drive line is wrong.and the ujoints are not working right.has any one taken the front drive line out and test drove there truck

Quick Reply: 600 vibration help