3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

4lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4lock?

What does the 4LOCK position on my electronic shift 4x4 mean? I understand its high range 4x4, but what do they mean by lock? Are they talking about the transfer case? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM

As I understand it these do not have locking/unlocking hubs. So you need to know that anytime the front drivshaft is engaged via the t-case you are putting power to the front wheels.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by slorocco
As I understand it these do not have locking/unlocking hubs. So you need to know that anytime the front drivshaft is engaged via the t-case you are putting power to the front wheels.
You are correct. I believe it has a Central Axle Disconnect (CAD). These kind of suck because the front drivetrain is alway turning, even when in 2-wheel drive. My old '89 Toyota 4Runner was the same way. To alleviate the situation we (Toyota guys) would install a set of Warn Premium manual locking hubs. They were better quality than the stock hubs anyway. If they're made for my truck I'm sure I'll do the same in the future.

I'm just trying to figure out what they mean by "LOCK". It could be nothing.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I the "LOCK" means the front & Rear drive shafts will turn at the same time (locked togeather). That is why you do not run this on dry pavement in that mode very long. I have notice in the winter turning real sharp with it in LOCK the tires really complain. I still use it every time when I pull the boat out of the water, just do not turn sharp.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Foxborough
I the "LOCK" means the front & Rear drive shafts will turn at the same time (locked togeather).
You are correct, Foxborough.

My question is why did they use the word "LOCK"? Typical terminology would be 4HI and 4LO. I guess I'm just reading into it too much
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 AM

Actually I think "Lock" is the more typical term used today. The lock position is a general term referring to locking the front and rear drive shafts together, without slip. Dodge and others also offer transfer cases with a differential function which applies power to both the rear and front and allows for the speed differences on turns (so called full time or AWD). Most of these can be locked, similar to a locking diff, hence the lock term. I think its used just so individuals that move from vehicle to vehicle are reminded of what that transfer case does when that position is selected. Using AWD/Fulltime/4WD/4Hi terms as was done in the past is not so clear to the casual driver. Today I think these AWD or full time cases are actually more common than not, except in HD trucks like the ones we drive.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 AM

the term comes from the t-cases that have a viscous clutch style that have 4 high open, allowing you to drive on hard surfaces without binding (normally a 40/60 torque split). So in a truck like that it would have 4 high open, 4 high lock, 4 low open, 4 low lock, locking that center diff.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks ColdCase and chromegrill.

I cut my "4x4" teeth on trucks with lever shifted transfer cases with manual locking hubs and detroit lockers. All the new electronics and the various terms each manufacturer makes up to describe them keeps me discombobulated