3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE v. NV5600 v. G56 for car hauling

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 48RE v. NV5600 v. G56 for car hauling

After eliminating GM and Ford, the Missus and I are planning on purchasing our first truck ever, a 2005 4x4 Laramie DRW. We are hoping that this vehicle will last us at least 300K of family adventure.

The types of things we are looking to tow are quads, snowmobiles, travel trailers and such. The heaviest thing we might tow would be a Take-3 or similar 5'er car hauler with 2 or 3 Jeeps for annual trips to Moab and the Rubicon, close to max GCWR.

Pulling that kind of weight through mountain passes, I would think that a Jake brake would be mandatory, in which case, the 48RE is a no-go at this time. Is an exhaust brake really needed for near max GCWR? What are the chances Dodge will OK the JB on the 48RE?

If I do go with the stick and factory-installed Jake brake, should I get the NV5600 (if any are left out there) or the G56? I'd not mind rowing through gears, but the Wife is 5'1" and I am not sure she'd be able to depress the clutch without the seat touching the steering wheel. Are the power-adjustable pedals available in standard transmissions?

Thanks in advance for helping make this life-altering decision!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:58 AM

With the Automatic an exhaust brake is not mandatory because the torque convertor will help hold the load back. The manual an exhaust brake is required..I have the NV5600 and it is a great tranny however, I personally don't like shifting along with taking forever to get up to speed...
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 AM

With the Automatic an exhaust brake is not mandatory because the torque convertor will help hold the load back. The manual an exhaust brake is required

I don't agree with this at all.

Downshifting a manual will provide more braking the auto ever could. I recommend an exhaust brake for anything over 10,000lbs.

taking forever to get up to speed?

Definitely go with the NV5600 if you can find one. The over drive is taller and the housing is iron vs. the aluminum housing on the G56.

I'm not trying to argue with you falcon, but I don't agree
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 AM

I gotta agree with bigblock2stroke. However I do not have first hand experiance driving the 48re. For 300K miles I would certainly buy the manual. Dodge just doesn't have a good track record with auto trans. I love my manual. And I don't mind the extra time to get up to speed. Heck this is a truck after all! If I had to do alot of driving in town I may have a different opinion. But I drive the interstates and backroad pulling 8000 lbs. And the manual works great!

Also I don't like the idea of a aluminum transmission housing. Of course it may be fine. But the NV5600 is tested and proven winner.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:17 AM

The NV5600 is very tough and will handle almost any abuse you can throw at it. A manual w/o an exhaust brake can keep a pretty big load under control by downshifting and letting the motor rev while going downhill. I don't have an EB and was able to maintain 60mph down 5% grades this weekend with just my foot off the gas with 12K behind me. For heavy towing the manual is the only way to go IMO.

John
Old 01-31-2005, 11:46 AM

Re: 48RE v. NV5600 v. G56 for car hauling

Originally posted by tmoon

If I do go with the stick and factory-installed Jake brake, should I get the NV5600 (if any are left out there) or the G56? I'd not mind rowing through gears, but the Wife is 5'1" and I am not sure she'd be able to depress the clutch without the seat touching the steering wheel. Are the power-adjustable pedals available in standard transmissions?

Keep in mind that if both you and your wife will be driving this vehicle in city traffic that an automatic may be a better way to go for her benefit. Personally I would not be without my NV5600 as I rather choose the gear to be in than have the ECM decide for me. You can install an exhaust brake and a kit to lock up the auto torque convertor when the exhaust brake is engaged and that may be the way to go for you hauling needs, especailly if you get into a large 5th wheel trailer in the future through the rockies. Good luck with your new vehicle when you get it as the QC HO CTD makes a great tow vehicle.

L8r,.........dogger
Old 01-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, your new 48RE will have the updated thrust washer- so a torque converter lockup controller is all you'd truly need to have an EB on the auto trans. By the time you get your truck, it's 'possible' that the factory may have the software updates done and you can legitimately (within warranty) have an EB on your auto.

FalconDan - you've clearly never driven a 48RE They provide as much braking effect as PUTTING IN your clutch and coasting down the hill

In comparision to what banshee posted - I towed 8700lbs down what I'm guessing to be those same 5% grades - on a trip from Cleveland to Ft lauderdale, and with my foot off the pedal, my truck was accellerating indefinitely...I had to ride the brakes to maintain 65mph with the O/D locked out.. The auto provides little or no engine braking.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:54 PM

Don't you have to do some mods to an auto before installing an exhaust brake?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM

Anyone care to wager how many rebuilds the 48re will need in 300 K miles ??

Maybe none,, maybe three. Will it pop when needed most ?

As for the wife driving the truck,, I would say AUTO no doubt.

Unless she is a country girl raised up driving manual trannys I
would be a little worried about this being the "training vehicle" for
driving a stick diesel. One mistake or "panic situation" and that anti stall
throttle could take out a few houses before she regains control.
THIS AINT NO TYOTA
Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 PM

My wife drives my truck (her truck if you ask her) every day. With the low speed governor and zero throttle launching, its the easiest manual trans you could drive. You don't have to worry about feathering the throttle for smooth clutch engagement.

I'll never tow without my e-brake again. Plus the money you will save on service brake pads/rotor turning, will help pay for the brake kit itself.

You will soon be able to get a Jake brake for your 48RE that will not void your warranty, but for now if you put a PAC brake or whatever exhaust brake on your 48RE truck, you will void the warranty.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:11 PM

But not for the 47re?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 AM

are the power-adjustable pedals available in standard transmissions?
they were when i got mine...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:20 AM

Re: 48RE v. NV5600 v. G56 for car hauling

Originally posted by tmoon
The types of things we are looking to tow are quads, snowmobiles, travel trailers and such. The heaviest thing we might tow would be a Take-3 or similar 5'er car hauler with 2 or 3 Jeeps for annual trips to Moab and the Rubicon, close to max GCWR.
Since you will be toing close to max GCWR and you want at 300+K miles and an automatic
would be your best bet with an exhause brake ... I think you might want to consider
something like a crew-cab International 4300 with a 466DT. If you can live without
4X4 (and can get a locking differential in the 4300), you can get a "real" Allison auto
tranny with the International ... I think the 3000 series. You will never max out your
GCWR with this truck based on what you said you will be towing.
Also, since you are looking for longevity, you can't beat a medium duty truck. They make them
very comfortable now and your long travels will demand comfort.

Until Dodge comes out with a 5500 in the 21 - 23K GVW range, and what you plan to pull will max you out, I'd go bigger and not take any chances.

I have been praying for a 5500 4X4 for over 2 years now and am sick of waiting. I will be buying a new truck in 2 or 3 years max and if the 5500 is not available ... I will be going the International/Freightliner route.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:01 AM

how much for something like a crew-cab International 4300 with a 466DT without 4wd?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by bigblock2stroke
how much for something like a crew-cab International 4300 with a 466DT without 4wd?
Probably in the 50's, then add the specialty body on the back for towing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old rattle trap 12 V machanical Dodge CTD, but if your planning to travel quite a lot and don't want to worry about pulling a very heavy trailer a Medium duty is the way to go. the 4300 is a good solid truck that can be configured in any way you want.
Its just an idea and another option. The 25,995 and less GVW trucks are not bad at all, but the DT466 inline 6 cyl. wet sleeved engine is a must, not the VT 365 (the Powerstroke engine).
Also a small Freightliner or Sterling is a consideration as well in the sub $60K price range.

Quick Reply: 48RE v. NV5600 v. G56 for car hauling