3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE Throttle valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE Throttle valve

What is the best adjustment for the throttle valve cable on an 04 48RE? Should it have any slack at all? What all does the adjustment change and how are things affected?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:55 PM

In my own 04 a tight throttle valve cable gives early and harsh down shifts when coming to a stop. Also stays in each gear longer when accelerating from a stop. A small amount of slack in the cable eliminated both of the above listed characteristics.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM

1/8" to 1/16" inch of slack in the cable at WOT is what it should be set to.

Richard
Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM

I haven't checked slack at WOT yet, guess I should. I think the manual states that to adjust, there should be 1/32" slack at idle. I have been playing with the adjustment to see what differences that it makes. My latest setting was made the same way the gearshift cable is adjusted: unlock, set at no play, then re-lock. This seems to work extremely well as far as shifting and drivability, but it won't shift into OD until right at 48-50mph. This seems a little high, so I may put a little slack back into it and try again. Last time with a little slack it didn't seem to shift cleanly. Am I doing harm to the trans with these small changes? The downshift when coming to a stop isn't what I would call harsh. Firm, like the upshifts, but not harsh.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 AM

wheres is this adjustment a pic please or detail .pete
Old 11-26-2008, 06:21 AM

It is on the driver's side of the engine, kinda behind the injector pump. A black plastic cover with the throttle cable, kickdown cable, and the throttle valve cable from the trans going to it.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM

i believe thats the contol module for the cruise control, but i could be wrong. does anyone know if this it the same on an 06? a friend on mine is having problems w/ his tranny and its giving him a p1753 code. the only thing we've been able to find is that it has something to do w/ the ttva (transmission throttle valve).
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nwflyoda
i believe thats the contol module for the cruise control, but i could be wrong. does anyone know if this it the same on an 06? a friend on mine is having problems w/ his tranny and its giving him a p1753 code. the only thing we've been able to find is that it has something to do w/ the ttva (transmission throttle valve).
The 05 and newer do not use cables.DTT makes an electronic device with 3 settings to adjust the signal to get the shift points where you want them.It is called the shift enhanser.It is a blessing when using tall tires and increased power with a tight torque convertor.

Bob
Old 11-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by nwflyoda
P1753-TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE MECHANICAL PERFORMANCE (CONTINUED)

The TTVA does require an initialization period after the actuator has been removed or replaced. After the actuator has been removed or replaced, move the ignition to the ON position for thirty (30) seconds. This will allow the ECM
sufficient time to perform the internal calibration procedures to learn the TTVA’s current “zero” position.

˛ When Monitored:
Ignition on, engine running in a valid forward gear with a throttle opening greater than 50% and the transmission in overdrive.

˛ Set Condition:
When the Governor pressure is below a minimum threshold when conditions indicate that the Governor pressure should be high. This DTC indicates that the TTVA is working properly electronically but mechanically the output shaft is not moving the Throttle Valve in the transmission.

The above is from the service manual

Does your Buddy have a built tranny or VB?

Get a GOOOOD quality pressure gauge about 150 psi. Not one that reads 600 psi because you can't see the pressure graduations with a high pressure gauge. EVERY psi counts.

Go ahead and check Gov. pressure. There is a port on the passenger side on top of the rear sevo where you can see gov. pressure port, install you gauge there and go for a drive. It should rise 1 psi for every mile an hour. So if your doing 30 and are only seeing 15 or 20 psi you have a problem. If it is a built VB then call your shop and ask them what the rise should be.

Also check for line pressure rise. If it a stock VB, you should see between 54 and 60 psi in drive. Drive the truck around and see the line pressure rise. As you drive and incresae throttle you should see 90-96 psi. You may have to go 50-75 % throttle to see the rise but as the tranny shifts gears, the line pressure rises automatically. You will see a spike as it goes into 4 and then lock-up.

I "feel" that the line pressure will not rise or rise as it should. your friend might have a problem with the TTVA which I have replaced quite a bit. If anything happens, send me a PM I can help you by phone.

Richard
Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM

his truck is bone stock and he has been having issues w/ his governor before. he had the tsb performed on the truck and now get got a different code and he sometimes doesn't seem to have full throttle while driving.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Question throttle valve adjust

Originally Posted by bob4x4
The 05 and newer do not use cables.DTT makes an electronic device with 3 settings to adjust the signal to get the shift points where you want them.It is called the shift enhanser.It is a blessing when using tall tires and increased power with a tight torque convertor.

Bob
where is this adjustment located .