3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE shifts weird

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE shifts weird

With 1200 miles now on my new truck, I am starting to wonder if the way this thing shifts into overdrive is right. If you are into the throttle any harder than what a bluehair would be, it has a real herky-jerky kind of shift into OD. If you baby it up to the point it is going to shift--babied like in it's barely accelerating at all, it shifts normal. It is almost like it shifts twice, theoretically say if it drops 800 from 3rd to OD when it shifts, it will drop 400, stop, then quickly drop the other 400. It's pretty odd and everyone who has ridden in it kind of gives it a weird look when it does this. If it is just the torque converter locking, it's the weirdest TC lockup event I have ever seen. When it shifts you actually kind of lean forward in your seat like if a newbie at handshakers was driving. Having never had a Dodge before (Cummins or otherwise) and this being a new design trans, does this sound like normal operation to you? Keep in mind this isn't a violent type of shift, but it is pretty strange.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Banned

Would you describe it as firm? The trans has to shift firm to prevent it from burning up under the torque of the CTD. If you are concerned have the dealer trans tech take it for a drive. Or try another one on the lot.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:05 AM

I know exactly what you are saying as I experiance the same thing. I would say that it is normal for this tranny. Remember they did work on this thing to handle the torque so I'll "assume" that this is the way it is supposed to work.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 AM

I noticed yesterday that mine is doing the same thing. I accelerated hard and when the trans shifted into 4th there was a hesitation then another shift. I wondered if that was the TC locking up.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:18 PM

Re: 48RE shifts weird

Originally posted by Strjock81
With 1200 miles now on my new truck, I am starting to wonder if the way this thing shifts into overdrive is right. If you are into the throttle any harder than what a bluehair would be, it has a real herky-jerky kind of shift into OD. If you baby it up to the point it is going to shift--babied like in it's barely accelerating at all, it shifts normal. It is almost like it shifts twice, theoretically say if it drops 800 from 3rd to OD when it shifts, it will drop 400, stop, then quickly drop the other 400. It's pretty odd and everyone who has ridden in it kind of gives it a weird look when it does this. If it is just the torque converter locking, it's the weirdest TC lockup event I have ever seen. When it shifts you actually kind of lean forward in your seat like if a newbie at handshakers was driving. Having never had a Dodge before (Cummins or otherwise) and this being a new design trans, does this sound like normal operation to you? Keep in mind this isn't a violent type of shift, but it is pretty strange.
You are not alone.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Chapter President

I've got it too. It's like a double thump into OD. Spoke with diesel mechanic at local dealer who test drove it and said it was normal due to the powerful motor....I think it's normal till something breaks .

oh well.. still love the truck though.

Jamie
Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Strjock81,

Mine does the same thing and that's why I keep saying this tranny is outdated and an adaption from an earlier design. It hits that overdrive which is a big step and then immediately goes to lockup, two steps. I wish we had a more modern five speed auto with a direct top gear instead of an overdrive. With a little taller final drive it would have the same final gear and be more efficient.
My '93 feels about the same, and back then ( about 1990) the overdrive was an option.

Wetspirit
Old 06-15-2004, 12:41 AM

Mine does the same thing. This tranny kinda reminds me of the old automatic school buses.

It also doesn't seem to shift/downshift when it should. If I get on it a little, it will shift up, if I stay on it lightly, the gear hangs on longer than I would expect. When pulling my trailer, I usually end up shifting it manually on hills just to keep the RPM's where I want.

I'm not complaining, as long as it's strong, I'll put up with weird shifting.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:46 AM

Well I feel better hearing that everyone else experiences this too. Hell even my Ford 4R100 slushbox I had before this one was a little more predictable. (but crappy, oh so crappy).
Old 06-15-2004, 12:19 PM

It must just be the nature of the beast. I've the 47RE and mine will do the same when getting on it empty. If I can get it go to second gear early then it's ok. But if it stays in 1st then it wiill shift real hard.
It also does this when pulling except I don't get anywhere near the speed due to the weight
Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM

Normal.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:40 PM

I have the identical problem. Dealer said its normal. I think they
could change the 3rd to 4th shift points with a software reflash
and make it shift much better.

I see the problem as this. 3rd locks up right around 45mpg.
OD want to shift and lock up at 50mph. Between this very
small diff in speed in lies the problem.
Depending on the throttle postion I think it get confused and
tries to lock up 3rd and less than a second later right into OD.
If they reflashed it to lock up 3rd around 40 or pushed OD to
shift at say 55, it would really shift better.

I think the trans is great, its the preprogrammed shift points
that could be optimized.

My truck is starting to make a weird "clunk" when it shifts into
OD when under load. It almost sounds like the exhaust is hitting
the frame. I took it in today and the dealer put 35 miles on my
truck and said it was some BS about the noise is normal and
it was related to the air cleaner deflection. I just about choked
on dinner when I read the paperwork after picking up the truck.
I was told on the phone they could not duplicate the noise.
This sounded better because I didnt think they would drive my truck under load up some canyon some where.

We head to Steamboat Friday so I'll try to isolate the noise
Not towing our 5er, just a week-end in a cabin with friends.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:01 AM

Good morning,

My 2004, 3500 srw,qc,4x4,slt,ctd,auto48re does the same thing and was wondering if the hypertech programmer might not be able to customise the shift points?? Don't know but was just wondering.

Mightynorseman:
Old 06-18-2004, 11:59 AM

O3CTDCO

"My truck is starting to make a weird "clunk" when it shifts into
OD when under load. It almost sounds like the exhaust is hitting
the frame.

Mine did the same thing over labor day weekend. Three times in a row, when shifting into OD, going up a slight incline under light to moderate throttle, it made a very loud "clunk" or thump that sounded like it came from back by the muffler. Hasn't done it since then. This was the day after a fairly hard tow over the north cascade mountains. At the time I thought I might have ov er heated the tranny.....but not sure now.