3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
48RE Rebuild

I'm looking for some advice.

My Goerend TC and valvebody upgraded transmission is starting to slip in 3rd gear under heavy acceleration after 25K miles of great performance and service. The truck has
112K miles on it now, and the tranny has never been rebuilt.
My thought is to have a local shop do the rebuild for me before third gear fully lets go, but with my supplied parts. The reason for this is that although the labour costs in Canada are relatively same as the US, costs for parts are at least 40% more. This is why I want to buy all the necessary parts possible in the US and have the work done here, the almost at par US dollar is also a nice incentive.

So, here is my million dollar question.
Does anyone have a comprehensive parts list i would potentialy need to get to do a complete, and upgraded, rebuild? I want to keep my Goerend TC and Valve body, as well as upgrade the input shaft to billet.

I was looking at the master rebuild kit from DTT, which is what I will most likely buy as a starting point, but what else should I purchase?

I was also looking at the PATC website, now they have a ton of upgraded parts. They have a lot of bushings, bearings and other hard parts which I'm not sure if I should be buying.

I'm not looking to build a full billet race transmission, just something that will last and work well once i add 90HP injectors next year. The truck is my daily driver, and I only tow around 12K pounds once every couple of months.

My initial plan was to go to Goerend again for one of their transmissions but due to my wife going back to school and building a new garage this year, the $$ is a little tight.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some advice,

JR
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know why you would supply the parts to a tranny shop.

If they are willing to put your stuff in, they certainly won't warrantee it against a part failure and there will have to be a determination as to the cause and responsibility of the problem. If you are just trying to save a bit of cash it might not be worth it. In my business deals like that are more trouble than they're worth. Time, money and sharing responsibility.

Just make sure they use the heavy duty parts you want.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I would just call Dave and explain the situation. I would bet a million he would tell you exactly what parts to use and not charge you a dime even if he couldn't sell you the parts.

You have his Converter and VB already, from what I was able to glean from him, that is the biggest thing to his HD transmissions.