3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48re rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
48re rebuild, floor jack adapter plate.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of ordering a triple disk billet converter form Don Thuren. I was also thinking, since the truck has 83K miles on it i'd do a rebuild on the transmission. The tranny shifts and works fine, i just want to make sure it's fine. The converter is starting to go though.

Can anyone suggest what is a good complete rebuild kit for the 48re. The only towing I do is my 22' boat 5 times every summer, the truck is a daily driver other than that. I've researched the internet and found two kits, one from Oregon Transmission and one from the internet called PATC.

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a rebuild which can handle 1500lbs of torque, i just want the trans to be back to new, maybe a little better.

I appreciate any input as i won't take the trans out for about two weeks or so. I'l pull the transmission out, but i'll have my local shop do the rebuild.
Also, are there any other pieces i should consider replacing since the transmission is apart? I already have a Transgo shift kit installed.

Thanks for any input.
JR
Old 09-27-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kprc51
I'm in the process of ordering a triple disk billet converter form Don Thuren.
No wonder Don hasn't returned my phone call...he's building torque converters now, too?

You may want to check out Goerend Transmission. They could probably piece together a rebuild kit for you. Most people will probably also suggest a new valve body with the torque converter, depending on your driving style. There are several other builders out there, as well. DTT, HTS, ATS, Goerend, etc. Maybe give these guys a call and see what they suggest for what type of driving you do.

Jared
Old 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Does anybody have any idea where the approximate center of gravity is on the ol' 48re. I'm building a floor jack transmission adapter so i can pull my transmission out tomorrow for the converter swap and need to know if I should to weld the center pin approximately in the center of the oil pan location of a few inches forward or back. Now is the best time to do the research.

Thanks,

JR.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM

suncoast has a killer master rebuild kit with extra clutchs and all the hardware and you can add onto the kit billet this and that if wanted if you dont run over 600 horse i dont see the need for billet i have seen plenty of trucks with the 500 mark and the 48 holds up fine with a tq and vb
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 PM

A ton of high performance rebuild parts can be purchased from a Sonnax dealer( www.sonnax.com ). Sonnax makes some of the best upgrade parts on the market. PATC puts together a nice kit in my opinion but you pay quite a bit of money for something you can assemble yourself if you feel inclined. You should look around for a transmission parts dealer (such as Axiom www.axiom.com ) in your area. Have a friend from a shop get you the parts as they can get you some good discounts. For just a basic overhaul, the minimum parts required are clutches, steels, and a seal kit. You'll usually need some other odds and ends though.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM

I just dropped the trans out of my truck last week using a floor jack. I didn't use any adaptor,just the pad on the jack with a piece of ply wood on top. I had to place the pad more towards the front of the pan because the torque converter is quite heavy. Mine is a 47re so I don't know if that changes the balance point any.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:02 PM

I just re-read my own thread and discovered i screwed up the names. My torque converter is coming from Dave Goerend, not Don Thuren. Sorry Guys, my mistake. I'm not sure what I was thinking when i was writing it.

JR.