3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE question?

My buddy purchased his CTD with a 48re a couple months ago and has about 8k miles on it now.

In the morning at first start up when he puts in reverse or drive, it does nothing for about 30 seconds and then it goes like it should. The rest of the day it works fine, it only does this on the first cold start of the day.

I don't know much about automatic trannies, is there some kind of fluid that circulates in the torque converter before it get going from a cold start? Other than this, the truck runs out great and pulls great, any ideas???

Fluid level is perfect and fluid looks clean and fresh.

Thanks,

CTDCAL
Old 09-26-2003, 12:22 AM

Re:48RE question?

Sounds like his anti-drain back valve may be bad, or even removed. (A Valve that stops the fluid from "draining" out of the TC, and into the pan.)

I'm pretty sure it's not a bad thing, just annoying.

Here is one way to side step the problem. When you start the truck, put the truck in Neutral for 45 seconds before you choose a gear, and it should enage normally.

Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 09-26-2003, 10:42 AM

My suggestion would be to take it to the dealer for repair. I have a new '04 HO/48re. When I start it in the morning (+8C this morning), I let it idle for a minute, put it in reverse and go. There is no slip, pause or wait for the transmission to engage reverse or any other gear. That transmission is not operating correctly and is under warranty. It should just be repaired.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:11 PM

Yea mine does the same thing I took mine in to a dealer close to where I live, told them what it did. I left it with them overnight called next day and they said it was fixed well it ain't fixed. This is not were I bought the truck that place is 320 miles away in Dallas,TX anyway this is suppose to be a real good dodge center for doing service on vehicles. 1st word out of there mouth was did you buy the truck here I told them no I bought it in Dallas they kinda gave the to me. Hadn't had time to take it back to them or another dealer. Also ask your friend if his truck shudders on the take off everytime he comes to a stop then when he takes off again mine still does this. 15,750 miles so far only part that is annoying about it. Like you said works fine the rest of the day.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys for the replys, he is taking it in for repair.

Anyone know how the anit-drainback valve is configured and where it is?

Sittinbull2,

So far he does not have the shudder you describe, pretty smooth, but the delay at first start is as you describe. Hope you can get a diagnosis and repair.

CTDCAL.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:22 PM

Here is a list of what could cause delayed engagement ( from Dodge 2003 Service Manual):
DELAYED ENGAGEMENT
(FROM NEUTRAL TO
DRIVE OR REVERSE)
1. Fluid Level Low. Correct level and check for leaks.
2. Filter Clogged. Change filter.
3. Gearshift Linkage Mis-adjusted. Adjust linkage and repair linkage if worn or damaged.
4. Torque Converter Drain Back (Oil drains from torque converter into transmission sump).
If vehicle moves normally after 5 seconds after shifting into gear, no repair is necessary. If longer, inspect pump bushing for wear. Replace pump house.
5. Rear Band Mis-adjusted. Adjust band.
6. Valve Body Filter Plugged. Replace fluid and filter. If oil pan and old fluid were full of clutch disc material and/or metal particles, overhaul will be necessary.
7. Oil Pump Gears Worn/Damaged. Remove transmission and replace oil pump.
8. Governor Circuit and Solenoid Valve Electrical Fault.
Test with DRBT scan tool and repair as required.
9. Hydraulic Pressure Incorrect. Perform pressure test, remove transmission and repair as needed.
10. Reaction Shaft Seal Rings Worn/Broken.
Remove transmission, remove oil pump and replace seal rings.
11. Rear Clutch/Input Shaft, Rear Clutch Seal Rings Damaged.
Remove and disassemble transmission and repair as necessary.
12. Regulator Valve Stuck. Clean.
13. Cooler Plugged. Replace cooler.

TORQUE CONVERTER DRAINBACK VALVE DESCRIPTION
The drainback valve is located in the transmission cooler outlet (pressure) line.

OPERATION STANDARD PROCEDURE - TORQUE CONVERTER DRAINBACK VALVE
The converter drainback check valve is located in the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator tank. The valve prevents fluid drainback when the vehicle is parked for lengthy periods. The valve check ball is spring loaded and has an opening pressure of approximately 2 psi. The valve is serviced as an assembly; it is not repairable. Do not clean the valve if restricted, or contaminated by sludge, or debris.

If the valve fails, or if a transmission malfunction occurs that generates significant amounts of sludge and/or clutch particles and metal shavings, the valve must be
replaced. The valve must be removed whenever the cooler
and lines are reverse flushed. The valve can be flow
tested when necessary. The procedure is exactly the
same as for flow testing a cooler.

If the valve is restricted, installed backwards, or in
the wrong line, it will cause an overheating condition
and possible transmission failure.

CAUTION: The drainback valve is a one-way flow
device. It must be properly oriented in terms of flow
direction for the cooler to function properly. The
valve must be installed in the pressure line. Otherwise
flow will be blocked and would cause an overheating
condition and eventual transmission failure.