3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2010 factory brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 factory brake controller?

I just read the June 2010 engineers Q&A thread and got the impression that all 2010 trucks with the trailer towing package were equipped with a factory trailer brake controller. Is this correct?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope not.. They do not work on el / hy brakes and there has been many complaints about them on this forum..
Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
I hope not.. They do not work on el / hy brakes and there has been many complaints about them on this forum..
Interesting! Thank you for that.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM

I pull 2 trailers w/ my 2010 dually.
One has 3 axles the other has 2. Brakes on all 5 axles. Works flawlessly. Prior to that I had the Prodigy 3. I think the OEM controller works better than the P3.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM
DJM

was listed as an option on my 2010 2500 ST 4x4. list price of options was $230.00
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Got to love it, this guy doesn't have and has never tried the factory brake but wants to bad mouth it. Clueless - Mine works fantastic and i have owned a brakesmart and a maxbrake and the factory works as good as either of them.

The only thing he has right is the el/hy, but he read that also. So much misinformation is spread by people who beleive everything they read but have not experienced themselves.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM

Thank you all for your input.

My 2010 did not have the factory controller So I must have one installed. My local hitch shop has not had the opportunity to install one on a 2010 Dodge until now. It is aparently different from the 2009 and they are having dificulty finding where to attach it to the truck wiring harness. Can one of you who have a factory cotroller trace the controller wiring back to a connector in the truck wiring harness?

And Thank you again.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by DJENSEN9367

Got to love it, this guy doesn't have and has never tried the factory brake but wants to bad mouth it. Clueless - Mine works fantastic and i have owned a brakesmart and a maxbrake and the factory works as good as either of them.

The only thing he has right is the el/hy, but he read that also. So much misinformation is spread by people who beleive everything they read but have not experienced themselves.

Same holds true to you..

If you would use the search feature you would find there actually has been complaints by the owners of the new system..
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM

I can think of at least three thread were people complained about the factory unit, I know signature600 was on of the members. I know there was another guy who had issues, took it to the dealer, they installed a new one, then he had an issue again, and dodge told him that is just the way it is. The issue he was having I believe the brakes would engage late. That is the typical complaint is the brakes engage to late.

Out of curiosity what are you pulling, with your truck, maybe you are pulling something alot lighter then some of these other members that are having issues.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM

I tow a 24' 9000lb enclosed trailer about 25k each year and a 14,000 lb 5th wheel 2 or 3 times a year. Most of the complaints i have seen were mostly people who do not know how a proportional controller works (don't need to do a search as i have read about every controller thread on 3 different forums), they are used to their prodigy that makes an initial hard hit upon application so they feel the factory has a delay. I run all across the US in all kinds of traffic situations and the controller works great. Did not mean to get into a pissin contest but people that talk about things that they don't have first hand knowledge about are just perpetuating misconceptions usually. If you have done it, drove it, felt it 1st hand, speak up, if not you are not providing very useful information. There will obviously be a unit or two that are defective as with any mass produced product but overall this unit compares with the best available.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Still hating the factory controller...with the BRAND NEW 30+5 12K trailer, it finally has some brakes, but only when I get down the 20mph, then it wants to lock them up and put me through the windshield.

There's just no smooth setting on it...it's either turn it all the way up and it jolts the crap out of you, or turn it down and you have no trailer brakes until the truck brakes finally lock up you're pushing so hard!

Thank God for an amazing exhaust brake!
Chris
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 PM
With age comes the cage

I tow a 24' 9000lb enclosed trailer about 25k each year and a 14,000 lb 5th wheel 2 or 3 times a year. Most of the complaints i have seen were mostly people who do not know how a proportional controller works (don't need to do a search as i have read about every controller thread on 3 different forums), they are used to their prodigy that makes an initial hard hit upon application so they feel the factory has a delay. I run all across the US in all kinds of traffic situations and the controller works great. Did not mean to get into a pissin contest but people that talk about things that they don't have first hand knowledge about are just perpetuating misconceptions usually. If you have done it, drove it, felt it 1st hand, speak up, if not you are not providing very useful information. There will obviously be a unit or two that are defective as with any mass produced product but overall this unit compares with the best available.
If you would read my sig you would see I tow a 42' 28K trailer in places most flat lander's consider a once in a life time hunting trip, I do it when it's dry, raining, snowing or frozen.. If you would search the 5500 section you would see that I build my own trailers. rigg my own and many other trucks.

Your right I have not ran the new unit, however I believe the posts made from the people that do.. Do you have death wobble, a blown TIPM, or any other problems posted by the other members of this forum? If not does that mean it does not exist? The purpose of this forum is to exchange information not to flame one another..

By the way the P-3 still works great, at the time of purchase it was the only controller that would handle both electric and el/hy brakes. I have been tracking the R&D on these units since 1982..
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 PM

The factory brake controller does work with the newer Carlisle hydraulic brake actuators. Carlisle makes three hydraulic brake actuators: HBA-10, HBA-12 and HBA-16. According to the Carlisle web site the actuators must have serial numbers equal to or higher than the following to be compatible with the Dodge factory controller:

Model Number.........Serial Number
HBA-10..................313800
HBA-12..................705700
HBA-16..................506100

I put a new HBA-16 on my 5th-wheel camper and it works with the Dodge factory controller. However, the jury is still out on how well it works. I wasn't completely happy with it when I pulled the trailer home after having the brake actuator installed but there are some things I need to test to see if improvements can be made.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake control has a lot of room for improvement my cattle trailer has 3 8K's and I can turn the contoler up to 10 and if I stomp on the brakes loaded I can't even feel them if I use the manual slide control you better have you seat belt on. So if a car or deer or your kid jumps out in front of me I have to hit the brakes and reach for the manual trailer brake controller. I have 4 other trailers with electric brakes and they are all behaving the same. Dodge could have done better on this one!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the OE controller an inertial driven or a brake pressure driven controller?