3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 6spd throwing P0341 and P0336 same time

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6spd throwing P0341 and P0336 same time

My 2005 is throwing 2 codes regularly (P0341 and P0336)cam and crank sensor performance. When I get the codes the truck has no power, almost stalls, bucks and acts erratic for just a second. Then the truck will run normal with a CEL. Sometimes the CEL will stay on for multiple days/starts and other times it will stay off or go out after bucking.
I have been researching the forums and have checked everything that has been mentioned. I have checked all wiring around a/c, cross over cable, cam and crankshaft sensors etc, with no luck, in fact I already re-taped and covered all these plugs. As of right now, the truck has no modifications, I did have a SMTY Jr on it but pulled it off when this started happening. Already replaced both sensors, batteries, cables and no help, also had it in a shop for over $1k and still battling this issue.
There is one thing that I am seeing that may be causing the issue but I wanted some advice/recommendations before going this route. When I pulled the Cam Sensor plug, I found that the CP3 is leaking directly on the connector and wiring. The fuel is actually in the clip on plug. I pulled the plug, cleaned and blew out, taped/wrapped and hooked back up and now the truck is worse off, so I feel i might have narrowed it to this area OR moved some wires around that is causing the issue.

So my question is, could the fuel on the harness and connector be causing my issue? If so, what recommendations do you have before I go out and buy a new pump and wiring connector? I know that some people report leaking CP3's in the cold, I am in the Mojave desert----- temps about 60 degree's now.

I also notice the grid heater coming on and off normally about the same time that the truck bucks and is intermittent (12.5v-14.5v ish cycling) and I checked the area by the battery for possible chaffing and came up with nothing. I noticed the other day that the heater did not come on one time in forty miles at 65 degrees and the truck did not buck once, a day later, the truck bucks and heater comes on....... with same temperature?? I need advice before I take the truck anywhere else.......... or you guys recommend a place near Barstow, CA. Thanks.

I should also mention that the truck ALWAYS starts and purrs perfectly with the CEL on or off, cold or hot, everyday. I can almost always get intermittent operation in second/third and coming on the throttle, but if I keep it under 1800rpm-65mph and be gentle............ almost always no intermittent ops.

Any advice??
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM

I've been experiencing pretty much the same thing since thanksgiving. Mine started when one of my batteries died overnight in 20deg weather, and I just haven't had the extra money to replace the battery yet. I'm hopeful that the new battery will clear up my issues.

I know you said you checked all the wiring but if you haven't checked the resistance and voltage on all the different parts and wires this link provide an excellent step by step guide for each trouble code. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/3rd...-sensor-signal

Hope this helps and ill be keeping an eye on this just in case the new battery doesn't fix it for me.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, I already changed both batteries, terminals, wiring to/from batteries etc and the sensors. I am going to take it to a recommended diesel shop and I will let you know what I come up with.