3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2004.5 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 vibration

I picked up a new '04.5 600 last week. It's a 2500 shortbed 4x4 with the automatic/3.73's. So far I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'v noticed a vibration/drone that starts at just about 70mph. It doesn't seem to change or increase much above that speed, and it's not terribly objectionable, but it's noticeable enough that my wife mentioned it as well, so I know I'm not imagining it. I'm not sure if it's an exhaust related noise, I can't even pin down where it's coming from, it's like the entire truck is vibrating slightly. I traded in a V-10 SuperDuty which was smooth as glass at just about any speed (while getting 8-10 MPG), so maybe we're spoiled by that, but I'm not sure this vibration is normal.

As I expected, a call to the dealership was useless, of course they've never heard of such a problem. I'm going there this afternoon to make believers out of them, but I wonder if anyone else has this issue on their 04.5, or it just the nature of the Beast. Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM

I've noticed the same thing right around 70 mph. That's awful close to 2,000 rpm, where there has been vibration noted by others. It's not too obtrusive, but up to that point, the truck is smooth, so I do notice it.

I'm curious to read what others post on this as well.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-05-2004, 08:00 PM

I just bought my 2004.5 2500 QC Shortbed 4X4 last week and have noticed the EXACT same thing... I get to 70mph and it feels like it's rapped out @ 2100RPM with a resonating, droning vibration. I only have about 350 miles on the truck so I'm hoping that this smoothes out as the truck breaks in. I don't know if I could live with that in the long run with all of the 75mph freeways here in AZ. BTW, first tank of fuel... 12.85 mpg (by hand)!! Not impressed
Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM

Hmmm. All S/B 4X4's. I wonder if its because of the no axle disconnect. Others have complained about vibrations on earlier 3rd gens and late 02's without the CAD. One of you guys should try running without the front driveshaft installed and see if the problem is still there.

Boyd.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:32 PM

Go to dodge.com/owners, then go to recall. There have been a lot of posts about this on 03-04 models.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:38 PM

It seems alot of the 04.5's have this vibration. I drove 2 other trucks before mine came in and they had the same vib. I brought it to the attention of my dealer the other day. I took the tech for a ride and he verified it had it right at 70 mph or 2 g's on the tach. I just wanted it on the books as a problem. It's not real bad but just annoying after a while.

I was reading on another forum that DC was aware of the problem and they were working on it. They seem to think it is caused by the front harmonic balancer yoke on the rear driveshaft. It seems that the yoke was not properly balanced at the manufacturer and they are suppoosedly waiting for the manufacturer to make a large supply of these yokes before they anounce the recall to replace them.

Mines not real bad so I can wait.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 PM

Dropped by the Dealership today, had the Service Director take it for a drive with me. He noticed the problem as soon as we hit about 68 mph, and confirmed that it wasn't normal. He told me he's got an '03 very similarly equipped, and has no such vibration/droning. In his words, the vibration was "unacceptable", which in itself was somewhat of relief to hear, I was half expecting him to tell me that it's normal, or it'll go away with time, or other typical dealer B.S.

He speculated on several things that could be causing it, such as an out of balance torque converter or driveshaft, and he also mentioned the TSB for the power steering hose. He mentioned that replacing the hose under may alleviate the problem, even though my truck falls out of the VIN range for that TSB. He also noted that one wheel had no balancing weights on it, and said they would check the balance on the tires. We also discussed the Exhaust Clamp recall on the early 04.5's, they're going to look into that as well to verify that it's been done. If they don't have a solution by tomorrow, I'll mention some of the info I've read here about driveshaft imbalance. I'm no technician, but it just doesn't make sense that this type of imbalance would surface at 70 mph, and at 67 mph not exist at all. I still think it's some sort of resonance/vibration coming from somewhere else in the truck.

Whatever the problem is, it's just frustrating as heck to plan, save, compare, dream about, and then finally buy what you think is the best Truck out there, only to drive it for a week and have a problem like this. They gave me a crappy rental car to drive (at least they're paying for it), but I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow morning when my Duramax driving next door neighbor sees me slinking toward the Mazda in my driveway, he'll be sure to ask me where my new Dodge went.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep you updated as this develops. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 AM

My 04.5 2500 SWB QC 4x4 has 4,000 miles on it and I haven't noticed that 70 mph vibration yet. Have been on the freeway several times, running 70+. Will keep an ear out, though.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Banned

Tell him it went to get "tuned up" so it can REALLY whoop the crap out of his Dmax.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 AM

Squidward, which dealer?

I am in Chandler, AZ and took delivery of my '04 2500 CTD QC 4x4 SB from Chapman's in Scottsdale. I have noticed the "vibration" at 70+. Actually to me, it kind of felt like the deisel was working hard to keep up when I pushed it to 80+ mph, like it was turning too fast.

I would like to get this fixed before I start making my weekly trips to Lake Powell this summer!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:15 AM

I have a 2004 SO california mile and have the vibration also I am due for my second oil change going to try another dealer this time last one told me it was from running too close to red line. The tech obviously didn't drive the truck as he wrote 60mph in tow haul 2800rpm redline is 3000rpm. When i drive 60mph in tow/haul rpm is 2400 and red hash marks on tach start at 3200rpm obvious lazy a$$ assuming I had 4.10 gears I guess.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has it. Goes away when I go over 70 mph. Feels like a driveshaft imbalance.

The GMs had problems too. Mine had a differne t design driveshaft installed way back. It must be difficult for engineers to get all the different models correct with just the right designed components. I predict a driveshaft replacement. In the meantime I recommend staying out of that threshhold. Could be hard on the tranny tailshaft it that's the problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:59 AM

Seems like this problem is limited to new Rams with the 48RE tranny.

Is that right?

Everyone in this thread either lists the 48RE or nothing at all.

Could be a reason to go with the stick.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It can't hurt the tranny tailshaft. I looked under there and forgot the front axle goes into the transfer case.

Also noticed the turbo downpipe is mounted to the transmission. Wonder if loosening something there and taking a test drive changes it.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:23 PM

Called the dealer this afternoon, they claim the problem is a driveshaft imbalance. They've sent it off to get it balanced, they tell me it'll be done today. I'm skeptical on all counts.

Quick Reply: 2004.5 vibration