3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 SO cranks slowwwww

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SO cranks slowwwww

*** update- I plugged it in for a few hours to try to simulate how it started for the tech. It just fired up. Would still like to know how to narrow it down maybe before I put it back in the dealers hands

Ran the batteries dead a few days ago trying to start. Turned out it needed a new fuel bowl. Dealer installed this and gave the truck back to me cranking as if it sounded like the batteries were just about dead. I left a note about this and they're calling me back.

Problem is now I have the truck home and it won't start. Sounds like I'm running off a 6v battery then my starter seems to start smoking.

Batteries are 1 month old 850ca dekas.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated so I don't have to tow it back to the dealer
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First off, no fuel bowl, can you give a more accurate description of what was replaced? Perhaps a fuel pressure regulator?

Second, what temperatures are we talking about, and what weight oil in in her, Synthetic or Dino?

Next, is the starter original, a smoking starter is NOT good, you may have done some damage to it, diesels require a minimum RPM cranking to get them lit off, and if she cranks slow, she wont light.

I would have your OEM starter rebuilt rather than trust a parts store rebuild. If you can't wait, NAPA has a new one that I have had good luck with for a few years now, I just looked it up, 174 bucks.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:13 PM

starter fried.
take it to get it tested...it might blow the breaker on their machine like mine did when it acted the same way. lol
Old 01-26-2015, 03:44 AM

Hey all- thanks so much for the replies. I never got any notifications and just saw this as I was coming to update.

The fuel bowl is what the dealer called it. It was the bowl that the filter sits in- all shiney new now. They replaced it bc I was only getting 800psi fuel pressure on start originally.

The trucks sitting in a grocery store parking lot now haha. Got there ok- then couldn't start. Starter is def smoking.

It's the originally starter. So the starter can crank slow if it's on it's way out? It sounds like weak batteries- which it's not. Temp is about 35deg when it needs to be plugged in (weak, I know.)

Assuming it is the starter and I order one from napa- does anyone know off hands what tools id need [*** think I gathered what's needed below ***]? I've replaced a jeep wrangler starter so will prob give this one a shot if it's not too complicated and doable in a parking lot :-p

" it was easy to pull the starter just used a 12 point 10mm wrench and got it off. youll need a 10mm 12point for the starter to block bolts, a 15mm for the starter wire, 8mm for the small starter wire and the 3 bolts on the selenoid back and lastly a 17mm for the contact studs. thats it. so all the tools youll need are a 10mm, 8mm, 15mm and a 17mm and youve got it done in about 20 minutes! "
Old 01-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Was def the starter. Put a new napa one in and it's working great.

Unfortunately I failed at the job in the grocery store parking lot last night in the snow storm so had to have a garage do it. fuel bowl was leaking right into the starter for who knows how long.

thanks for the help and replies all. big help identifying the problem.