3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 dies randomly. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Ryd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 dies randomly. Any ideas?

So here's my problem guys.... I've got about 215,000 miles on the truck. Last week it randomly died in the middle of the day while driving at less than 15 mph. Did it again 2 days later while turning a corner at a street light. Both times it fired back up first try but cranked a little harder than usual. I changed the fuel filter yesterday. It has the OEM fuel system with no upgrades in that department. It took a while for it to fire after changing the filter. I had to crank it 6 or 7 times before it would finally turn over. Seemed to run fine after that and I topped off my fuel tank on the way home. Today I drove it to work no problems. On the way home I got on the throttle a bit going up a slight hill and when I let off the truck died. I was able to coast to the side of the road let it sit for a second and fired it back up with a little longer cranking than usual. I drove about a mile and came to a stop light and it died again. Finally got it going with a lot of cranking pulled off the side of the road and let it idle for a few minutes. Idled fine. Drove another couple miles through neighborhood streets (stop signs). Came to another street light and it died again. Took a lot of cranking in backed up traffic to finally get going again. Made it another mile to my house after that.

I dont know where to start and am not familiar with any good repair shops in Denver (open to suggestions). Any advice would be appreciated. It's my daily driver so I need to figure something out soon. Sorry it's kind of a long explanation but wanted to give all the details I could. Thanks a lot for any help guys.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds like fuel issue, check your transfer pump flow, if you have pump still located on the fuel canister. These are prone to failure and at 215k miles time to replace it. Easiest way to check is pull the fuel filter out, drain the fuel from canister, close the drain valve. With a pan under the filter housing bump the starter. The fuel pump will run and fill housing within 10 seconds, if it doesn't the pump is bad. Fuel flow rate is 590 mL in 10 seconds flow rate.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 dies randomly. Any ideas?-80ffc4cc.gif  
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Ryd

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow and repost what I find out. If it is bad what are the best replacement options? FASS?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:02 AM

Agreed, sounds like your lift pump, 215k is pretty good for the stock pump if that's what you've got.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Ryd

I performed the test mentioned above and the filter housing did not refill at all. So I'm taking it that the lift pump is bad. What are the best replacement options? Stock replacement from geno's or aftermarket? I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch of money

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryd
I performed the test mentioned above and the filter housing did not refill at all. So I'm taking it that the lift pump is bad. What are the best replacement options? Stock replacement from geno's or aftermarket? I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch of money

Thanks for the help guys!
Yup. Bad lift pump. If you're in a hurry and short on cash I would go with a replacement from Genos. Then maybe look in to a FASS (or similar) or even just the intank replacement for a more long term solution and upgrade. You could even do the upgraded filter setup to filter down to 2 micron at the same time.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Ryd

I ordered the replacement from Geno's due to time and cash. Does anyone have any install instructions or is it pretty basic remove and install? Any things I need to be aware of? Thanks a lot everyone
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I usually remove inner wheel well to gain access to pump. Easier for me since I usually have truck on lift anyway. Remove power connector to pump you will need to squeeze release tab and pull connector. You may need to get fuel line disconnect tool also, makes it easier to disconnect fuel line. Have a pan handy to catch fuel that will drain from line. Remove 4 allen screws and pull pump from housing. Remove old o-ring from housing, install new o-ring on to the pump and lubricate with clean oil or diesel fuel. Install pump into housing, tighten screws evenly. Plug in connector and install fuel line. Piece of cake, Bump starter to activate pump and check for any leaks.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Ryd

I installed the new pump and everything is working great. Thanks for the help everybody.