3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 California Dodge Ram SO Cummins-Worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 California Dodge Ram SO Cummins-Worth buying?

I live in Southern California and am currently looking at purchasing a used truck.

With the HO not being available in early 2003 2500s, I know a lot of trucks purchased in California were delivered with the SO engine. Starting late 2003 the new engines passed smog and were shipped with the late 2003/2004 trucks.

When would it make sense to purchase a truck with the SO engine? Pricepoint?
How much should one deduct for the SO engine?
What improvements are available for the SO engine?
How does fuel mileage compare between stock HO and SO --unloaded?

I will have a large percentage of unloaded miles compared to towing miles and am curious if the SO engines do deliver better fuel economy.

I'm guessing there will be folks dumping the early "SO" truck to get the latest and greatest...I'm wondering if there might be a deal to be had.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 03-15-2004, 12:38 PM

Welcome Aboard. Everything has a price. I wouldn't be worried on picking up an earlier SO in CA. Its not difficult to modify them to almost whatever HP level you'd like. There are tons of postings here doing just that. You do flirt with losing the warranty when you do that.

I think it would be a great idea to keep your eyes open for one, especially from one of those fellows who has to own the latest and greatest. Their loss is your gain.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 PM

If you can get a good deal on one, I say go for it. All the mods are available for these as well. You can easily add more HP than your tranny can handle. One thing to remember is that the 2002 HO's were 245 HP - not much more than a '03 California SO.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall someone mentioning that the CARB engine, CA SO, runs at a lower engine temperature in orer to reduce nitrogen oxides. It might be one reason why the oil change interval is still only 3750 mi for the severe duty cycle, compared to 7500 for the HO and I believe the 48 state SO. I also seem to recall someone mentioning that Cummins noted that the lower engine temperature will also result in longer engine life, which I think is a good thing, but engine life is also one of the most boring performance parameters :^)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:26 PM

Good trucks

I ordered a CA SO '03 in June of '02. Just passed the 31k mile mark with zero problems. I was going to trade it in for a new '04.5 CA HO, figuring that adding mods to the already more powerful truck makes more sense. Now I'm not so sure. Other than more frequent oil changes, I didn't feel too much difference between the two versions. My driving is 99% unloaded freeway driving, so towing doesn't really make the upgrade necessary for me. I think you're right though, a lot of folks will be jumping to the latest and greatest asap. I'd just rather not take the big hit in depreciation so soon.
However, that being said, given the choice I'd rather not have a half year production truck. Since they standardized on the 50 state 600 engine, that's the way I'd lean if I were to make another purchase. Some used '04s should be coming on the market soon enough. Hope this helps...
TP
Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 PM

Cool

MY ram is a late model 2003 SO, after the mod's I could bring it up to stall and fry the tires.With a puter that is consistantly off by 3-2.5 mpg I hit a high of 25 mpg on my way to Arkansas and back and a trip average of 19.9 mpg. Fuel in neck each fillup and pencil & calculator used still for each check. Also my engine temp. has dropped 5-10 degrees depending on weather from when it was first picked up (all of 3 1/2 weeks). I'm running 3.73 gears.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Chuckstruck
white & silver with custom red & gray pinstripes
Hey Chuck, gonna have to see a pic of that!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:12 AM
ck1

My S.O tuirned a year last week and has 16k...ZERO mechanical probs...just Ac stuff...mine was built 10-02....47RE etc...pull a very heavy 5th wheel (15k) couple times a month in winter and and a 10k tt in summer...really no pulling issues in regards to power etc...I love my truck....dont think I would trade it in on a 600 as it really does the job well...BUT if I was looking for a truck i would lean on spending a little more cabbage to get the NEWEST you could get as diesel technology changes almost overnight
Cameron
Old 03-22-2004, 11:33 AM

I think the CA SO trucks may actually run the same temp or hotter than the non CA trucks. I installed an oil temp guage in my truck recently and the oil is at 210 degrees running empty on the highay at 2150 RPM. Runs about 200 degrees around town. Can't wait to see what temps it will be in the summer towing!!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:31 PM

The CA trucks have a more retarded fuel injection timing. I think that's why they need more frequent oil changes. They also have a cat (smaller than the '04.5's).

A box that does timing and a 4" exhaust system will take care of those things. I'd say go for it if you can get a good deal on one.

Boyd.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM

Well I just Dyno'ed my Ca So and with my mod's it did 355hp with the box on 7x5.I was thinking about getting a 600 but with the way it is running now why waste the money.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Re: 2003 California Dodge Ram SO Cummins-Worth buying?

Originally posted by Cbfount
I live in Southern California and am currently looking at purchasing a used truck.

With the HO not being available in early 2003 2500s, I know a lot of trucks purchased in California were delivered with the SO engine. Starting late 2003 the new engines passed smog and were shipped with the late 2003/2004 trucks.

When would it make sense to purchase a truck with the SO engine? Pricepoint?
How much should one deduct for the SO engine?
What improvements are available for the SO engine?
How does fuel mileage compare between stock HO and SO --unloaded?

I will have a large percentage of unloaded miles compared to towing miles and am curious if the SO engines do deliver better fuel economy.

I'm guessing there will be folks dumping the early "SO" truck to get the latest and greatest...I'm wondering if there might be a deal to be had.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Sure why not. If the price is right, get one. As far as mods go. The only limit with a Cummins is your wallet. These motors are capable of well over 600 HP and another 200lbs of torque. If you can afford injectors, bigger turbo,fuel control mods and computer mods you can easily get your ponies to those numbers.

Don't forget to pay attention to your trans though. An auto will require a different valve body and torque converter to handle serious ponies and a manual will require a different clutch.

Don't panic, changes to the trans and clutch are only necessary after you go past a certain point. All reputable retailers of quality parts can advise you on that.